Question Sea World San Diego Shamu Stadium - New Show Soon?

I remember reading somewhere that Shamu Stadium at Sea World San Diego will be closing soon. They will be temporarily moving the show to the Shamu Close Up area while they renovate it and put together a new show.

I think this is supposed to start this November (2005), but I don't remember for sure. Can anyone confirm this for me or correct me on it?

Thanks!

• no flash photography...

Re: Sea World San Diego Shamu Stadium - New Show Soon?

I'm not sure, but when I was there in august the up close part was closed and drained being renovated.

• A Pirate's life for me!

We'll be there for Thanksgiving w/e. I hope that they have it straightened out by then.

• I Hug My Tapirs

I'm not sure about the exact date these days, but around November sounds right. They have to wait until they're finished renovating the Close Up area (they're moving Dine With Shamu over there, hence the heavy construction) because they will have interim shows in that pool while the stadium is closed. The latest I've heard is that the Shamu Stadium renovation was cut down to just 6 weeks. Once that's back up and running, they'll continue to hold The Shamu Adventure there until the new Shamu show is ready to debut next spring (last I heard, April was the goal, but May was more likely).
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    I'm not sure about the exact date these days, but around November sounds right. They have to wait until they're finished renovating the Close Up area (they're moving Dine With Shamu over there, hence the heavy construction) because they will have interim shows in that pool while the stadium is closed. The latest I've heard is that the Shamu Stadium renovation was cut down to just 6 weeks. Once that's back up and running, they'll continue to hold The Shamu Adventure there until the new Shamu show is ready to debut next spring (last I heard, April was the goal, but May was more likely).

Thanks Kirsten! I'm planning a trip either 10/29 or 12/17 (both Saturdays). Which would you recommend?
    Last edited by Belgarion42; 10-10-2005 at 04:31 PM.

• I Hug My Tapirs

In terms of crowds, both should be fairly light - 10/29 probably slightly moreso, just because 12/17 is closer to Christmas. In terms of what shows will be up and running, though, that's still up in the air. It depends on how quickly they finish up the projects they're working on. There's also a planned closure at the Sea Lion and Otter show, which is supposed to be closing soon for a rewrite (maybe a month-ish of downtime?), but I haven't heard any dates for that one yet.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

The Shamu Adventure closes on Sunday and moves to Shamu Close Up until Thanksgiving. The show will be called the Shamu Experience. The Shamu Adventure returns to A pool from Thanksgiving until January 3rd. Then the show returns to Close Up while the set is struck and the new stage is installed. The show will return to A pool with a modified Shamu Adventure. The new Shamu show "Believe" will premiere in May.

Dine with Shamu will officially open at Close Up in February.
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GapToothed
    The Shamu Adventure closes on Sunday and moves to Shamu Close Up until Thanksgiving. The show will be called the Shamu Experience. The Shamu Adventure returns to A pool from Thanksgiving until January 3rd. Then the show returns to Close Up while the set is struck and the new stage is installed. The show will return to A pool with a modified Shamu Adventure. The new Shamu show "Believe" will premiere in May.

Dine with Shamu will officially open at Close Up in February.
    oh no.. that sounds like another arobatic show.. please say not another one.. FLA's dolphin show is good.. but needs more focus on the animals...

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    oh no.. that sounds like another arobatic show.. please say not another one.. FLA's dolphin show is good.. but needs more focus on the animals...
    Acrobats had been talked about, yes, but last I heard, they scrapped that idea. They'll have Cirque de la Mer just a few hundred yards away, anyways, during the summer.

Smile Re: Sea World San Diego Shamu Stadium - New Show Soon?

Thanks xfkirsten and GapToothed! That's very helpful (as was the press release posted in another thread) in planning my upcoming visits. I might try to make it during the time the "show" is moved to Up Close just to see it in a different setting.

Now I just hope that the whole Believe show isn't just choreographed behaviors. While the previous showing was wearing thin, I do like to hear the trainers talk about the animals and their interactions with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion42
    Now I just hope that the whole Believe show isn't just choreographed behaviors. While the previous showing was wearing thin, I do like to hear the trainers talk about the animals and their interactions with them.
    uh-oh...
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgarion42
    Agreed. As someone who's worked in the wildlife care industry (with animals at the Seattle Aquarium, as well as working in wildlife rehabilitation in Washington state) I think education is a hugely important part of the zoo animal industry. SeaWorld is in a great position to reach millions of people, and I think it's important that education remains an important part of the day shows. That's my biggest bone to pick with Orlando's new show ("Blue Horizons") - no educational content of any kind, not even a hint of a conservation message.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    That's my biggest bone to pick with Orlando's new show ("Blue Horizons") - no educational content of any kind, not even a hint of a conservation message.

This is great... someone else agrees

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I have photos of the refurbs at my site (see below)...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com