•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Sea World San Diego Closed Today 12/22 due to rain/extreme weather conditions

From Sea World San Diego's Facebook Page
    SeaWorld San Diego | Facebook
    SeaWorld San Diego is closed today. Hey Fans, due to the unprecedented rainy weather we have been having and continue to have, the park will not be open today. The California Highway Patrol and local law enforcement agencies are encouraging people to not drive on our roadways unless absolutely necessary because of the potentially hazardous conditions drivers may encounter. So, in the interest of safety, we've decide it would be best to closed for the day. We plan to open as scheduled on Thursday, Dec. 23 at 10 a.m.
    Also on the main website it has a small tag that sea world is closed... Does anyone remember the last time Sea World closed due to weather?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Sea World San Diego Closed Today 12/22 due to rain/extreme weather conditions

Its amazing to see what is considered "extreme weather" in different parts of the country.

1/2 inch of snow in Atlanta...the city shuts down, but I've gone to school in New England where we received 12 inches of snow during the school day...eh.

It takes quite a bit of rain in Florida to make people even blink (other than tourists) but California is becoming the butt of quite a few jokes over its reaction to the rain. Now SeaWorld closes for the day. lol

In all seriousness, how much rain are we talking having fallen in SoCal in the last few days? The real amount, not like "a ton".

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Re: Sea World San Diego Closed Today 12/22 due to rain/extreme weather conditions

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Its amazing to see what is considered "extreme weather" in different parts of the country.

1/2 inch of snow in Atlanta...the city shuts down, but I've gone to school in New England where we received 12 inches of snow during the school day...eh.

It takes quite a bit of rain in Florida to make people even blink (other than tourists) but California is becoming the butt of quite a few jokes over its reaction to the rain. Now SeaWorld closes for the day. lol

In all seriousness, how much rain are we talking having fallen in SoCal in the last few days? The real amount, not like "a ton".
    Since Sea World Heavily relies on it shows to keep guests happy and since it is a outdoor park its better to close the park then charge people full price and then have to refund or refuse refund to the customer later, I think its a good move...
    here is a link to what rain has fallen so far, I know its been flooding near hotel circle where alot of the tourists are in san diego so by southern california standards this is pretty bad
    National Weather Service - NWS San Diego

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post

The last I heard 6 1/2 inches in Orange County. That was before the last storm went through.

I love the rain. I have been enjoying every minute of it. I love walking in the rain, driving in the rain, hearing the rain....I wish it lasted longer.

They said my area only got an inch in a half. I'm not sure what that boils down to. Our empty pool has about 1 1/2 feet in it now and some of the roads were like rivers....so a ton...

• Ravenclaw

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    From Sea World San Diego's Facebook Page
    SeaWorld San Diego | Facebook

Also on the main website it has a small tag that sea world is closed... Does anyone remember the last time Sea World closed due to weather?
    Closed last year for a few days due to the smoke from the wildfires in the county.

San Diego also has a big problem with poor drainage in many low-lying parts of the county, so when big rain storms come through it tends to let all hell break loose.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well I hope everything can get back to normal.

• "I Break Things"

right now we're sitting at the 3rd wettest December on record. #1 goes to some 1889 record that was 15inches... #2 was El Nino... and that only beat out this year's record by a half inch.

What you have to keep in mind is that the South Eastern States are used to heavy rains, the ground has evolved to take in a lot of that moisture. Eventually if there is "too much too soon" they flood. Florida can quite literally take "a ton" of rain before that happens.

California is desert. Sure it's been modified and water has been pumped in. But ultimately it is a desert environment. If there is a substantial amount in a short amount of time then roads flood, creek overflow, mud slides down... you get the picture. The city of Laguna Beach was literally "trapped" this time around, portions of Malibu were also cut off. I want to say the overall to date is a little shy of 9in (8in and change)... average this time of year is less then half that, yearly average is only slightly more (15 I think). So in a one week timespan we received well over half our annual average.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Sea world also closed on the 21st at 2pm So the park was only open for four hrs that day 10am-2pm

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    I think the more amazing thing in that link is how much the rain fall varies, even within the counties and areas.

I always remember from New England when our summer storms would roll through we'd always get the same quote: "be happy it isn't snow...and inch of rain equals a foot of snow".

Anyone up for 6.5 feet of snow?

Just to respond to the OP. Seaworld closed for a full sometime back in Febuary when the same time of weather conditions happened. And it's a good thing too. Most of the area floods when we have any heavy rains. Take a look at Qualcomm stadium where the Chargers play. The field had about 2-3 inches of rain and it was estimated that 1.5 million gallons were pumped out some that a college bowl game could be played.