Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Thrill Seeker

Smile Sea World San Diego Picture Dump!

had a quick little trip to SWSD to escape the east county heat and snapped a few pictures - nothing large enough for a trip report but still wanted to share. Since most of our trips to SWSD are just for 2 or 3 hours I figured I would make a thread for me and others to use as a picture dump. Please feel free to add pictures!

These pictures are from 5/3/11:

First thing we noticed was the Skytower and Bayside Skyride are now FREE! This was great news for us and we really had no idea! The kids always want to ride these but its hard for us to pay for them EVERY trip. Now it looks like all we will have to deal with is lines, but not this trip as the park was empty (too bad the kids were in school!)

DSC05615 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

My new passion is to take pictures of stuffed animals displays - an idea I got from this site but sad to say I am not sure what member I picked the idea up from...

DSC05606 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

DSC05604 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

They were working hard on the new coaster, check below for a HD video really showing the scope and progress of the new ride.

DSC05603 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

We rode the Bayside Skyride twice, without even getting off! On the return of our first there was nobody in line so we decided to go around one more time... our first time EVER doing that.

DSC05593 by PadresFan619, on Flickr
    But a trade-off for being free they really try to sell you stuff now. They take your picture on the turnaround of the ride. Pay attention, we had NO idea the picture was about to be snapped the first time around. They try to get you to stop just outside of the exit and then have a kiosk set up with random cheap stuff to sell your kids. I feel sorry for those workers during the hot summer days!

The tactics at the skytower is a step up, they take your picture before you get on the tower and then when you get off they actually hand you your picture and say "would you like your picture" as they put it in your hand... cool free picture?? Not - they collect payment a few steps away. Kinda felt like I was in TJ with selling tactics like that.

I think this may be one of the best pictures I have got at the California Tidepool, always seem to get reflections on the water..

DSC05588 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

This had to be the funniest thing I have seen at SWSD in a long time - no idea who this is, but he/she was upside down with its head propped up on the wall looking TOTALLY relaxed and just taking it easy. This was taken on the Shamu Skywalk, a great little out of the way (during non-showtimes) area to be in the shade and still see the Killer Whales.

DSC05585 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

The underwater viewing are is open back up and one of them was being very nice and hanging out and posing for pictures for at least 20 minutes.

DSC05577 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

DSC05576 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

DSC05575 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

DSC05572 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

DSC05569 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Here is the video from the Skytower ride, you can really get a great idea of the scope and progress of the new coaster - click thru for full 1080p HD:

Yes, its the entire ride! Try not to get too excited here

Thats all from this little trip.
    Last edited by Baba; 05-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.

• Thrill Seeker

Re: Sea World San DIego Picture Dump!

Another few pics from our visit today:

We love to sit by the Jumping Jets while our kids play on the nets, it is fun to watch the random little kids play here with the water. Really worth sitting on the bench a few feet away and just watch.

Jumping Jets by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Dn't often see the backside, wish they could have worked it in some way where doth drops could be seen from inside the park.

Wheeee by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Viva La Musica is going on, and they brought up some trinkets from TJ to sell. They had these on the grass area where the horses had always been - it was just strange to stand on this grass for what was the first time for us ever.

Viva La Musica! by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Waiting for the family while they were on the ride

Mighty A by PadresFan619, on Flickr

falling by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Dunno if I like the fact they took out the "Shamu Dolphins" (as our kids call them) aka Commerson Dolphins and put in the Rays. Ya, they are cool to see in a different way from what it was. But these things are a staple at any park, the Commerson Dolphins are not.

'ello by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Our daughter has one of these, his name is Toothy.

Toothy by PadresFan619, on Flickr

I SEE YOU!

over population by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Always try to get close angles of this sign,. a tad less boring that way. Plus the sign is currently rusty in areas and it looks baaaad.

wildness by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Which way?

which way by PadresFan619, on Flickr

• Ravenclaw

The rays are there because it's a convenient place to put them while they work on Manta.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

I was at sea world recently, it sad they took out the Japanese village to put turtles in. Come on I see turtles at the zoo but not Japan well at one point in my life it was a fully Japanese village, before the sting ray came in and the river raft ride taking most of the village out. Anyone have shots of the Japanese village in full action from the Sky Tower? I only got what going on now in still pictures.

]Name:  7. Sea World's Tower. Looking at the Front enternce.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  124.3 KBName:  8. Sea World's Tower. New Shamu saduim.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  131.9 KBName:  3. Sea World's Tower. Looking at the Demolation of the Japanese village and among other building.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  128.4 KBName:  4. Sea World's Tower.looking at Old shamu sadium, dolphin show, now Blue Horizon.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  108.4 KBName:  5. Sea World's Tower. looking at old captan kids, now seaseme street Play area.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  123.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DISNEYWHEELS; 05-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.

• Thrill Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    The rays are there because it's a convenient place to put them while they work on Manta.
    Ya, still a shame to (at least for now) lose a not-so-common animal.

And Disneywheels, I can not see any of your pictures...

Are they going to put the Commodore dolphins back? They have always been fun to watch.

Also, what exactly did they take out in order to put in Manta? The stores? I haven't been to SeaWorld since last summer and so much has changed or under construction. Sad to hear that they took out the Japanese garden. But that was definitely not a crowded part of the park. It was usually pretty empty over there. Same thing for the flamingo area. Would love to see a before and after aerial shot to get a better idea of the changes.

• Thrill Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    Are they going to put the Commodore dolphins back? They have always been fun to watch.
    I have been told a few times they will return, they are just backstage while the rays take over the spot while the ride is being built. If I had a vote it would have been the rays went backstage instead.

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    Also, what exactly did they take out in order to put in Manta? The stores? I haven't been to SeaWorld since last summer and so much has changed or under construction. Sad to hear that they took out the Japanese garden. But that was definitely not a crowded part of the park. It was usually pretty empty over there. Same thing for the flamingo area. Would love to see a before and after aerial shot to get a better idea of the changes.
    Here, I scanned part of the map since that is prob the best way to see the scope:

Where it will be by PadresFan619, on Flickr
    Wish I had an old map to compare it to.

I have some more pictures to share also

Now that the skyride and skytower is free, they have looong lines on days where there would have been no wait.

long line for free by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Long line for free 2 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

The kids went on Shipwreck Rapids a few times since the line was short so I took a few pictures of the area:

Always loved the screws, amazing to think this is the ONLY power moving the water on the ride!

Lift by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Over many, many visits I find they do not update the wait time that often. This day it said 25 minutes when the line was close to 40 and it still said 25 when the wait was not even long enough to fill up the last set of stairs. But hey, the sign looks nice and is themed well.

thadda way by PadresFan619, on Flickr

and off they go!

whoosh by PadresFan619, on Flickr

read the sign!

what sign? by PadresFan619, on Flickr

always thought this was a very well themed ride

Lift by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Can you see the person watching the ride? This is the third of three "towers" there is a fourth person at the end of the cave all watching you. Little known fact that there is an override switch for the waterfall at this tower, they CAN leave the falls at FULL BLAST for your boat if they decide to. Do you know where the other two towers are? The first one is easy!

Tower 3 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

We usually eat here - and I was sooo tempted to move that stroller for the picture lol

S.O.S - somebody left a stroller! by PadresFan619, on Flickr

• Thrill Seeker

We zoomed down to the park today (5/27) because last night one of my frineds got to go into the Turtle Reef area. We had hoped we would be able to do the same but had no luck. The area looks ready to open, just looked like some last second finishing touches were going on. But they had employees riding the new ride and the store was already filled with stuff to buy. But the walls are down and only plastic barricades block entry.

For this post I will concentrate on Manta and TB area pictures...

For this click thru the picture and view the original size on Flickr to get the full effect

Turtle Beach by PadresFan619, on Flickr

they must have done a great job on this turtle, while we were standing there somebody asked me if it was real and another group was saying how they put a dead turtle on the hill..

Turtle Beach by PadresFan619, on Flickr

No shade, no theme, no problem!

Rip Tide Rescue by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Rip Tide Rescue by PadresFan619, on Flickr

entrance to Turtle Beach

Turtle Beach entrance by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Ready to sell you stuff....

Full Store by PadresFan619, on Flickr

New guy on the block..

Turtle Dude 1 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Turtle Dude 2 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

HI!

Turtle Dude 3 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Overview

Turtel Beach and Rip Tide Rescue by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Manta construction.. looks the same!

View original size on Flickr to see more detail - this gives you a great overview of the area under construction.

Manta construction area by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Feel free to check out all of my Flickerstream... and feel free to add me as a contact also!
    Flickr: PadresFan619's Photostream
    Last edited by Baba; 05-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.

• Thrill Seeker

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday the new Turtle Reef was closed up and still being worked on and the park was empty... Today the park was PACKED and the area was open! They were still working on areas but it looked nice and I can not wait for the 8th when it fully opens.

I put a HD video of the Riptide Rescue ride in the thread about the ride:
    http://micechat.com/forums/seaworld/...post1056540144

This post will concentrate on pictures of RTR. Next will be pictures of Turtle Reef and I have some (IMO) great pictures from the new Shamu show...

heeeeeeeere we go! And as always, click on the pictures to see them full size and/or the rest of my photos!

You can see how packed the area can get - yikes!

Packed. by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Yay! Soft Opening!

Soft Opening by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Welcome to Riptide rescue! This is at the exit of the new turtle reef area (old Manatee area) and the entrance/exit of the Shark Encounter.

sign, side by PadresFan619, on Flickr

These little red locks are the crutch of the area... they scratch up the ride and add lots of time to the load/unload time.

DSC06896 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

DSC06901 by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Nice board by PadresFan619, on Flickr

PUSH THE BUTTONNNNN!

What button? by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Q by PadresFan619, on Flickr

The locks really scratch up the ride. This is before the ride really "opens". What will it look like 6 months from now?

scratched by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Would love to see pictures from other people

• Thrill Seeker

Ok, so now pictures of Turtle Reef. This is the old manatee room.....

Love the sign, hate the stroller that I thought I avoided for the picture...

Turtle Reef by PadresFan619, on Flickr

The baby turtles are a nice touch, but to really see the detail you have to get close...

Fakers by PadresFan619, on Flickr

.......but then you get close and you notice some have WAY too much glue and this guy was already missing a foot!

Glue by PadresFan619, on Flickr

But overall it has a very nice look to the sign. I love how the newer stuff has really great details.

Just keep moving... by PadresFan619, on Flickr

How do you cover a ugly electrical box? This is how, and it worked well and makes for a good photo op.

Pohot op by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Turtle Reef viewing area by PadresFan619, on Flickr

love love love this viewing area at the end, it is like you are in the water with the turtles swimming over you!

Turtle Reef by PadresFan619, on Flickr

The gift shop is small but I think the best gift shop in the park. The merch they have is great and well worth at least a look.

wait for the bags! by PadresFan619, on Flickr

how it hangs by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Um.. ok?

Um, ok? by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Buy some dead turtles!

Dead Turtles! Buy two! by PadresFan619, on Flickr

• The Pumpkin King

Nice pics, thanks for postin them

Hey I remember reading in the coastal commission report that Manta couldn't be worked on from memorial day to labor day. Anyone know if this is true or not?? It would suck if they shut down construction for 3 months...

Never mind to my last post, Sea Worlds Facebook page just updated the progress on Manta today showing that Manta construction has actually kicked into high gear. They're finally starting to dig into what will become Mantas lagoon. Sweet!!!

• formerly very helpful

I don't spend a whole lot of time at Sea World - once every few years - but here's a few from last week's trip.

From the Killer Whale show:

The sealions always seem to be posing for some good pictures.

Always love the beluga whales. I think the whole Arctic exhibit is well done.

As much as I love the dolphins and pilot whales, the new show is absolutely terrible in my opinion. There hardly seems to be any whales or dolphins featured at all! At least I got this photo.

• Thrill Seeker

^nice pics!

I heard the tracks for the new coaster are in the park. Will see if I can swing by this weekend and check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast