Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Re: New Sea World Ride: Riptide Rescue

Vomit? A little harsh, don't you think? This isn't meant to be some E-ticket, it's a carnival ride that's low-budget and pleasing to families. It's not supposed to be highly themed, and neither should it be.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    Vomit? A little harsh, don't you think? This isn't meant to be some E-ticket, it's a carnival ride that's low-budget and pleasing to families. It's not supposed to be highly themed, and neither should it be.
    Yeah well you know, people have different expetations. I dont think i'll be going on it, but I know it will free up some more space on the other rides and the walk ways around the park because there wil be people going on it.

• Thrill Seeker

Ride was up and running today - will be uploading pics in the Picture Dump thread:
    http://micechat.com/forums/seaworld/...ture-dump.html

Our kids liked the ride - liked, not loved. Its a good addition to the park, any new attraction and effort is greatly appreciated. But having said that - no theme and no shade... ouch. It will suck on the hot summer days waiting in line for this ride.

The ride is 1 minute long. The load/unload at this point is 5 minutes. See the pictures I am about to post int he picture dump thread for why it takes so long.

• Cars Land Rocks!

They have to put those apparent locking clamps on each time they load and unload? Seems like a bad design to me. Shouldn't that be built into the mechanism of the ride?

• The Pumpkin King

I know right? Anyways, hopefully thois ride takes some of the crowd away from JTA

• Thrill Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    They have to put those apparent locking clamps on each time they load and unload? Seems like a bad design to me. Shouldn't that be built into the mechanism of the ride?
    Yup. What really bugs me about it is that there is VERY LITTLE "swing" of the boat while the ride is in motion. Really watch the video - you can not even really see it move. I know the ride is new and the ride ops are still learning, but I do not think the effort is worth the reward. Plus as you will see in the pics I am about to post right now in the picture dump thread, it is already killing the paint job on the ride.

• Restless Adventurer

Think of this ride as just a C ticket addition to a park that has awesome shows and attractions. While it might not add much to the park, it takes nothing away from it.

I've been on an identical model of this ride at Six Flags New Orleans, and those locking mechanisms were not used. Additionally, on the older version of this ride, the Huss Troika, which also features slightly swinging cars, those mechanisms are not used. They're really not necessary, as the cars do not swing wildly, and even during loading and unloading, they move only slightly. This is a Sea World option, and no other operator that I've seen uses such a device.

That being said, this ride is far from "vomit." The Troika is a classic flat ride that both children and parents can enjoy. The spinning is not fast, and it's just an enjoyable motion. It's thrilling, but not nauseating. In fact, this is one of the most popular flats among park-goers because of its ubiquity and fun ride sensation. The Troika is just an older, slightly larger version of this.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Off the shelf, maybe, but not a common one. It's currently the only ride like it in California (now that Great America got rid of their Troika years ago). Troikas are similar, but they are not common on the West Coast, and this looks to be even milder than a Troika.
    \

Exactly what I was about to ask. Thanks for clearing that up
    I LOVED the Triple Play at Great America, so I'm happy for this.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

All I know is that I rode an identical ride at Marriott's Great America in Illinois back in 1977, and I wasn't impressed with it then.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

As been surmised by others the clamps are used to stabilze the tub during loading and unloading. For whatever reason they bought a version of this ride without the locking mechanisim. I've been told that it's going to be retrofitted with this, if it hasn't been already.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 09-06-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Correction and clarification of information

The ride time is up to 2 minutes now but some think that's too long so it may go back to 90 seconds. The mechanism to lock the boats is still a few weeks away. I still haven't ridden it yet!
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12