Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Wink You all excited for Sea World's San Diego Manta Coaster? I am!

It looks really fun!

Edited May 25, 2012 to add ride photos (Dustysage)

Lot's of photos in today's In The Parks column: SeaWorld's Manta Opens
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-25-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added photos and link

• keh!

Re: You all excited for Sea World's San Diego Manta Coaster? I am!

i haven't been to Sea World since the mid 90s, but i would definitely consider going down there once the coaster is open : )

It may not be as great as the other SW parks but with very little attractions at Sea.World, I am looking forward to it. From construction photos, its look like it will a smooth a relaxing ride.

Imo, its better than nothing.

It's going to be soooo much interesting than the boring Orlando one. (Seriously though, the Orlando version is big but doesn't really do much with the exception of the Pretzel Loop. San Diego Manta will be very unique).

It will be nice to be able to ride another attraction where you don't have to get soaked during the freezing cold San Diego winter. Wild Arctic being the other.

went to the park today and they tested it when i was at the 5 o clock clyde and seamore show! it was going really slow

• No Disassemble!

Here's a photo I took from the Sky Wheel yesterday. Kinda makes you wonder if the whole area will be complete by opening day doesn't it?
    Name:  gb-wdada231.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  164.2 KB

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

They were testing today. Don't know if it was running at top speed, but it still looks like fun. However, if this is top speed, it does put some things into perspective. Mainly it drops my expectations down for Disney's Radiator Springs Racers. If this ride has a top speed of 43 MPH and RSR runs at speeds "up to 40 MPH", I'm not sure how thrilling Disney's ride will be as the track isn't as compact and twisted as Manta's. Oh, and this is the last half of the ride and the "hills" are mainly at the beginning of the ride.

• No Disassemble!

Maybe it's just me but this coaster seems to be a tad bit slow, almost on-par with Knott's Pony Express. Hopefully this is a low speed test?

I don't think so. :-/ This is rated at 42 MPH. While Pony Express is supposed to be at 38 MPH. Which is why the drop in my expectations for Disney's Radiator Springs Racer with speeds "up to 40 MPH".

So, from what I remember about the speed of Pony Express, this seems pretty close.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

looks awesome, looking at the ride and being on it are two different things, when you look at a car on the freeway from a bridge it looks slow even thoe it is going 70. but i do agree the faster the better , rsr I feel will need to be spead up but I can't give a real opinion untill I ride it ..... then I will start complining on micechat the second I get off the ride
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

So, I got to preview Manta yesterday. IT'S AWESOME!!! Nothing extreme or groundbreaking, but it's really, really fun. While it only goes about 40MPH, the tight compact turns and abrupt twists on the bunny hills give some amazing airtime!! And the seats!!!! The seats really give you a sense that you're flying. The cars on the train have no sides or walls, the seats are high enough to let most riders feet not touch the floor, and the lap bar allows for hands to be raised and swayed with each twist and turn. They really did a good job at making a fun, family coaster with the space and height restrictions they were given. My only complaint is the landscaping. The beginning of the ride has you going under walkways and around rocks, but the second half is just out in the open. Kinda anti-climatic, but overall a good time.

• Functional & Decorative

I was there, too. Got to ride it about 6 times. It is a family coaster, so like the above stated, it's not earth shattering. But as far as family coasters go, it's quite good. I can imagine a lot of families enjoying it. It's just tame enough for younger kids and their probably mostly queasy parents, but just thrilling enough not to bore teens and/or thrillseekers. If you sit in the back, it's more intense.

For the thrill seeker people, the ride is a bit uneven. A few great pops, then kinda boring, then a great pop, then boring, etc. The big twist towards the end is my favorite part, almost feels like Maverick. Not quite, but close. But I have to admit that for the footprint and height restrictions they were given, the ride was fairly long. And while it was all still be constructed and put together while we were there, it appears the area around surrounding the ride will be quite nice once it's all done.

I think for the audience Sea World draws, it's going to be a big hit. It is quite smooth and very quiet.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

The Wife and I were there for the Media event also. It's really a nice ride, the effects in the launch tunnel are just great. There was a former Navy pilot with us that said that the launch felt just like the one on a carrier. They are touting it as a family ride, but the manufacturer has put a 48" minimum height on it. Still, it's lot of ride in a relatively small footprint. They are still working on the que and the surrounding area, and word is that the landscaping won't be done in time for this weekend, but enough so that the tide pool will be accessable.

• No Disassemble!

I went to the passholder preview this morning and rode it a few times. The experience from the front row is very kiddie coaster-ish but the last two or three rows are pretty exhilarating and I definitely felt some g's on several of the banked turns. Unfortunately the door was open in the projection tube every time that I rode. From the rear, when the doors are open, you have 30% projection visibility which is really just the area above your head and no visibility whatsoever from the front seat. This was a big bummer and I hope that this does not become a regular thing with this ride. Overall I give this ride experience a 6 out of 10, 10 being X2 at six flags.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast