Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   

Re: PETA to protest major orca injury outside SeaWorld San Diego on Weds

Roger that jsmith, well said.

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's time they do away with the killer whales, change their logo to a dolphin or turtle, and just repurpose those tanks for something else. I can think of one completely awesome thing to do with that tank if they ever felt the need to build a new attraction.

Anyone ever remember MarineWorld in the late 70's, early 80's? They had that attraction where you rent a wetsuit and snorkel through an artificial reef? I'd love to see a park make one of those again someday. Of all the park attractions that died and never came back ( at any theme park ) that one still ranks #1 in my book. Someone should have redone that by now.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post

Anyone ever remember MarineWorld in the late 70's, early 80's? They had that attraction where you rent a wetsuit and snorkel through an artificial reef? I'd love to see a park make one of those again someday. Of all the park attractions that died and never came back ( at any theme park ) that one still ranks #1 in my book. Someone should have redone that by now.
    They have one in Orlando at Discovery Cove
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• phbbbbbt

Anyone ever remember MarineWorld in the late 70's, early 80's?
    Marineland, in Palos Verdes. I grew up in that area, and got to do the snorkle thing once, it was cool, even if it messed up my hair for the rest of the day. Corky was their female killer whale, and she's still at Sea World. From all reports, the trainers love her, she is the most friendly one there. She was in the news a few years ago, another female tried to ram her during a show and crashed into the wall instead. It was totally unprovoked, probably just a dominance thing.

But yeah, any updates on this latest injury?
    xo, Deanna

• Not here to help

I hope PETA shuts Sea World down... all of them. Not going to happen but I still hope.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I believe SeaWorld is a valuable park that helps educates its patrons

I loved Sea World as a kid but now as an adult I realize how absurd it is to keep one of if not the smartest creatures on Earth in a tank. Sea World should be forced to cease it's Orca breeding program. After I watched the Cove I have never been back to Sea World and never will. I encourage others to do the same.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by TCadillac View Post
    I loved Sea World as a kid but now as an adult I realize how absurd it is to keep one of if not the smartest creatures on Earth in a tank. Sea World should be forced to cease it's Orca breeding program. After I watched the Cove I have never been back to Sea World and never will. I encourage others to do the same.
    The cove is unfair and blatantly lies about SeaWorld. There is a reason why the Sea Shepherd Society doesn't attack SeaWorld.

•   

Well said. A lot of people I talk to get their information from bias sources that are mislead in the first place. If you don't understand the benefit of Sea World and their program to heal and release wild animals ( not to mention study them ) then you're coming to a conclusion based on the mutterings of the extremists.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Well said. A lot of people I talk to get their information from bias sources that are mislead in the first place. If you don't understand the benefit of Sea World and their program to heal and release wild animals ( not to mention study them ) then you're coming to a conclusion based on the mutterings of the extremists.
    I'm not talking about rescuing injured animals and releasing them. I'm talking about holding cetaceans captive in little tanks for profit.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    The cove is unfair and blatantly lies about SeaWorld. There is a reason why the Sea Shepherd Society doesn't attack SeaWorld.
    Check this story out.

Op-Ed: SeaWorld's Convoluted Logic on Taiji's Dolphin Slaughter

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

I'm not talking about rescuing injured animals and releasing them. I'm talking about holding cetaceans captive in little tanks for profit.

Check this story out.

I do think I should point out that your so-called story is and editorial opinion, which as an opinion is going to be biased, and having said that, I believe that Sea World's Orca and other exhibits are, though not perfect, still great ways to teach people about these animals in a more emotional way than a dry book or documentary could.

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Ravenclaw

Check this story out.

That story is a piece of work written by someone who wrote a book bashing SeaWorld. The fact is that none of the animals ever collected in the wild for SeaWorld parks ever came from Japan. As required by the USDA they keep extensive records of every wild collection, and again, nothing in the records indicates Japanese involvement. SW is simply the biggest and easiest target, something that the public and the media can easily wrap their naive little heads around. Face it- wild collection was simply the only way that marine parks had to build their stocks. Notice my use of the past tense in that previous sentence. There are lots of spontaneous births at SeaWorld parks. Anyone who says the animals are unhappy is ignoring a key fact- unhappy animals won't breed. Zoos and biological reserves have known it for years.

Going back to the other point in the article- why hasn't SeaWorld come forward to condemn these other parks and their participation in the drive hunts? Think about this: how many times has Disney come forward and spoken out about deaths in other theme parks worldwide? Surely, as Disney is the biggest name in the industry and carries the most clout, they should step up and say something damning about the industry as a whole? Why? Why would they? What benefit is there to be gained from taking such an aggressive stand? Why wouldn't SeaWorld speak out about this? The answer there is simple- there is no benefit into getting pulled into such a didactic strategy.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I was fooling around on youtube on my phone during lunch today and found a video of a girl about teenager age and she was riding a killer whale. Then something happened and that thing attacked her and bit her leg and wouldn't let go even though the people at the exhibit were trying to pull her out of the water. It looked like a Sea World looking place and it looked like a video from the 80's.
    I can't access youtube at my work computer her I would post it but it was pretty scary.
    It was titled "killer whale attacked unsuspecting girl" although I don't know HOW she could have been unsuspecting if she was riding the whale like a horse....so dumb.

I can see both sides of the issue. I lean strongly on the side of Sea World but..... Breeding does not equal happy. Sea World has used Artificial insemination on its killer whales. So all the baby shamu's they have are not all the result of happy killer whales. State said, I tire of the "they are call "killer whales" for a reason argument".

I really don't believe an orca "attack" has every happened in a sea world park. That said, it may have happened at another park in Spain, but in the case of Sea World, I believe the whale may have played too rough, or may have wanted the trainer to stay in the water and interact more, or play longer, etc... a misunderstanding on the whales part of the human trainer's limits. Now i will use the argument in reverse... they are indeed KILLER whales and as such I don't think what has happened at Sea World could really be construed as an genuine attack. Look at how they attack in the wild were granted, some of these orca's have come from. Ocra's throw seals for sport in the wild, catch em, and throw them again. They violently burst through sheets of ice to get to unsuspecting sea lions and can beach themselves for the thrill of the hunt. The incidents at sea world while unfortunate, do not have the intensity nor the violence of a true Orca attack.

I can still still see PETA's concern keeping something as big as a killer whale in a pool, but honestly, I still see value in keeping a marine life park WITH Orca's. Thanks to Sea World, most of us know what an Orca is and care passionately about them. And that said, I have seen far worst conditions for other animals, and yet... Where is PETA's constant attack on the Circus? Honest question, do they not attack the circus or does the Media just not pay attention when they do? Seems Circus conditions would be far more there then what I have seen at Sea Worlds Orca Facilities. I wish PETA would pay more attention to more serious animal rights violations rather then just going with the easy, and now way over played headline of Sea Worlds Orcas.

If they ever win the orca fight, dolphins will be next, followed by sea lions, and then Zebra, and Tigers. After all, once we put marine parks out of business, why would it be ok to keeps zoo's. After all, not matter what the Zoo teaches, it is still not nature for these animals. They lose their insticts because they are cared for instead of having to struggle to eat. They are forced to be on display, and sometime their enviroments are less then desirable. Yes, I really believe that would be the next fight on PETA's list.

You know honestly, I am far more concerned about the polar bear at Sea World then the Orca. The polar Bear enclosure seems small and dated, no natural sun light, and no room to move around. Comparatively, the Orcas seem to have a lot more room to move around and be mentally stimulated and engaged in their enviroment. I would ok with PETA putting pressure on Sea World to update and expand this habitat as in my opinion it is a much more urgent need. But PETA would likely like to just eliminate that too.

In there mindset, there is no excuse for having animals do anything but live in the wild, there is no education benefit to zoo's and marine life parks, there is nothing to learn from these facilities that a book, an internet page or a observation in the wild could not replace. And I guess, THAT is where most of all, I just disagree. Where do you draw the line. Sea World has the Financial resources to maintain Orcas, I can do the the same with Rats. Both are extremely intelligent. Should anyone not not be allow a pet rat. Is the cage too confining for a creature of that intelligence? I think PETA would say yes and of not, would be hypocritical. Just my random thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 11-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.

• Not here to help

Keeping animals the way Sea World does is one of those things that comming generations will wonder about in the future. Huge animals in tiny tanks and daily shows for tourists.
    It is really sad but It makes alot people happy.
    The breeding is only a fake reason they use to promote the idea of keeping an animal prisoned.

By the way... if you play with fire you might get burnt. It is only a question of time before another trainer gets killed by these wonderful animals doing what they can to hold out in captivity.

If people want education Iīd say donīt go to a themepark, go to school! If people want to see animals, watch Disvovery or see them in the wild if it is that important to have seen a whale.

God bless America...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

•   

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post

God bless America...
    If you don't like it, then why post in forums about it's greatest attractions?

Oh, right. "Not here to help." Thanks, got it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast