Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sad PETA to protest major orca injury outside SeaWorld San Diego on Weds

PETA demands answers from SeaWorld

Before you continue, please heed our warning that this story is not for the faint of stomach.
    Did SeaWorld allow incompatible orcas to share an enclosure? Did one bite off the chin of the other?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: PETA to protest major orca injury outside SeaWorld San Diego on Weds

"SeaWorld claims the injury was sustained during contact with the side of the pool during a September 20 performance, but Dr. Ingrid N. Visser, founder and principal scientist of the Orca Research Trust, believes otherwise. Visser visited SeaWorld, photographed Nakai and "found that there are 'puncture marks that match orca teeth spacing,' which 'is a clear indication that an altercation between the orcas was involved,'" reports PETA."

Lots of conflicting stories...

But that photo looked awfully painful for the animal...horrible.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I wonder if he will need to be euthanized?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I wonder if he will need to be euthanized?
    That would cause an even bigger uproar with PETA and the like. I hope it doesn't come down to that. The injury doesn't look like life threatening, just painful.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think it will get infected, and I don't see how they can do plastic surgery on a killer whale.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

They're called Killer Whales....and yet Sea World just does not get it....they might look amazing but they are dangerous animals....how many people/animals have to die/ get hurt before they get that

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think it will get infected, and I don't see how they can do plastic surgery on a killer whale.
    I didn't think of that...the photo shows that it already looks bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    They're called Killer Whales....and yet Sea World just does not get it....they might look amazing but they are dangerous animals....how many people/animals have to die/ get hurt before they get that
    I don't think they will get it, sadly, but I'm hoping I am wrong.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If he's suffering, and they can't fix the problem or alleviate the pain, they may have to let him go.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I tried to look online for updates on this story and updates on the condition of the whale but couldn't find anything past the original stories. Any hear anything else, specifically about how the whale is doing?

The government needs to step in and ban killer whale breeding and require all males in captivity to be sterilized. Keep the current captive population until they are gone as I don't think releasing into the wild would be a wise decision, but they really need to stop the breeding.

The behavior of killer whales in captivity is nothing like what you see in the wild. I am currently reading a book on this topic and its very interesting.

Sea World can survive without killer whales.

nintendo and now sea world was attacked!
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

•   
    • Banned User

I've been going there since the early 70's and loved the Killer Whale show. It's a staple of the place not to mention the Orca has been their park symbol pretty much since the inception. They also spent a bundle to make a new set of giant tanks to address PETAs earlier concerns about the killer whale tank being too small before. From one perspective, Sea World gave an inch and then they came back to take a foot. Over the years and through all the additional PETA complaints the show has gotten more and more watered down until it's completely uninteresting. Now it's just lights and widescreens and loud generic music called something like "wonderous and inspiring" and it's all just so mundane. PETA must be very happy about how terribly boring it all is, now.

( Hold your boos, hate mail and complaints until I'm done, please. )

On the other hand it is, as stated above, as simple and observing that they ARE called "killer whales" and there is a certain logic to not doing this to them. I fear that if the park gives in and stops all orca training/breeding that PETA won't just finally be happy and go away but now turn their attention to the dolphin show. ....and then the the walrus and sea otter show. ...and then they'll want to let the people in Cirque De La Mer back into the wild and really, do we want THEM running around, free? I think not. I've had to deal with PETA before and they just come off as one of those groups that you just can't make happy. Doing something for them is like tossing effort into a bottomless pit. No extreme is far enough.

You want to close the show? Go ahead. The show's boring anyways, but I'm concerned about them getting another inch and coming back to take another foot. ...then a yard. It never ends with those guys.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I thought maybe someone had an update about Shamu's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I've been going there since the early 70's and loved the Killer Whale show. It's a staple of the place not to mention the Orca has been their park symbol pretty much since the inception. They also spent a bundle to make a new set of giant tanks to address PETAs earlier concerns about the killer whale tank being too small before. From one perspective, Sea World gave an inch and then they came back to take a foot. Over the years and through all the additional PETA complaints the show has gotten more and more watered down until it's completely uninteresting. Now it's just lights and widescreens and loud generic music called something like "wonderous and inspiring" and it's all just so mundane. PETA must be very happy about how terribly boring it all is, now.

( Hold your boos, hate mail and complaints until I'm done, please. )

On the other hand it is, as stated above, as simple and observing that they ARE called "killer whales" and there is a certain logic to not doing this to them. I fear that if the park gives in and stops all orca training/breeding that PETA won't just finally be happy and go away but now turn their attention to the dolphin show. ....and then the the walrus and sea otter show. ...and then they'll want to let the people in Cirque De La Mer back into the wild and really, do we want THEM running around, free? I think not. I've had to deal with PETA before and they just come off as one of those groups that you just can't make happy. Doing something for them is like tossing effort into a bottomless pit. No extreme is far enough.

You want to close the show? Go ahead. The show's boring anyways, but I'm concerned about them getting another inch and coming back to take another foot. ...then a yard. It never ends with those guys.

I don't support PETA and never will, but for Orca's its clear as day captivity is bad for them, and only "scientists" who seem to agree with Sea World are on their payroll. The death count alone as well as the attacks on humans over the years, shorter life span etc.

Wild Killer Whales are not considered a threat to humans, but captive ones certainly are, and the name killer whale is a bit misleading, in the wild they are not known for aggression towards humans.

All marine mammals kill something, and I would be no more scared of an Orca in the wold then a dolphin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast