View Poll Results: Have you seen the new Shamu Show "Believe"? If so, please rate it.

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - Best Shamu Show Ever

2 14.29%
  • **** - Good

1 7.14%
  • *** - Average

4 28.57%
  • ** - Poor

4 28.57%
  • * - Avoid

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I meant to do that.

SeaWorld Shamu Show - Review

I was at SeaWorld San Diego on Saturday to pick up a fun card. I also checked out the new shamu "Believe" show while I was around. What a disappointment.

There was just about zero Orca/Human interaction. That was one of the best parts about the show! Seeing the trainers surf on the Orcas, or get launched into the air riding on the whales nose! Now I know that a trainer was basically used as an Orca toy not too long ago, but I think over the history of the show, the animals are pretty safe and reliable. It would be a shame if they calmed the show down because some lawyers said so.

As a result, there was a lot of down time with not a whole lot going on. They showed a lot of videos (without any information or entertainment value) and the whales did the same couple of behaviors over and over again.

Seaworld either needs to let the people back in the tank, teach the whales some more behaviors that don't require humans, or add some sort of educational material to fill the dead time.
    Last edited by Captain Rex; 03-12-2007 at 12:50 PM.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: SeaWorld Shamu Show Sub-par.

I totally agree. I was looking forward to the Believe show in Orlando because the new dolphin show was so great. ( I was told that the dolphin show was produced by Disney people who left the mouse.) But it was everything you described, boring. I don't think they will be changing it any time soon since it took them so long to change the old show and I'm sure they put a bit of money into it. But for the whole rest of the day, my husband and I kept asking each other, "What was there to believe?" I believe it was that once your kid saw the show, he/she would want one of those whale tail necklaces. What a way to make a buck.

• I meant to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    I believe it was that once your kid saw the show, he/she would want one of those whale tail necklaces. What a way to make a buck.
    EXACTALY! I caught that also. At first, I kind of thought "hey, cool necklace." Then the next second "Hey... wait a minute.... I see what you're doing"

Nice merch placement Seaworld.

I hope they fix the show. (on a side note, the refurbished penguin encounter opens in April!)
    Last edited by Captain Rex; 03-12-2007 at 12:51 PM.

• This space for rent

That's a bummer they're not doing much of the human/whale interactions out there in San Diego.

I really enjoy the music from Believe, and I like most of the things they make the whales do, but the story and all the trainer talking is soooooo boring.

I agree about Blue Horizons being alot better than Believe (to me.), BH at night is beautiful, no birds, but the lighting more than makes up for them(for me.)

I'm hoping the new nightime Shamu show is gonna be alot better than Believe, more of the whales, new video footage and images, good music, and the lighting will hopefully leave little time for the trainer talking.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I've added a poll so people can get a quick idea of how this show rates.

I've been looking forward to seeing this show for myself, and am discouraged to hear that it might not be very good.

I'll be sure to add my review as well after I've seen it (probably in the next week or two).
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: SeaWorld Shamu Show - Review

I saw the show last summer and it was really good with the trainers riding the whales and doing all the tricks and so forth. Then they had that accident with the whale dragging one of the trainers under the water and now the trainers don't get in the water anymore. I think the DOSH report came out a week or two ago. I know I have seen some threads about it in this section. They have the Spring one coming out soon. We got a flyer in the mail last week telling us about AP previews coming soon.

I don't think anyone here believes that the safety of the trainers or making the water work whales perform every show trumps the overall value of the show. At the end of the day I find it be an engaging show. I believe there were considerations made for dry shows as the show was developed but I don't think the thought was because of trainer/ whale incidents.

The educational value of the show is certainly up for debate but the newest pre-show video is much better than the penguin pre-show from opening day. The opening of the show up until the whale's bow is the only segment I find interminable (and god help the people in the corners of the stadium that can't see the screens!). Something Far Greater can be tricky since that is the main water work segment and the testimonial lost a little something from the personal stories (some were better than others) to the broader message of today. And I'd be a happy boy if I could only get "duh-duh duh-duh-duh Shamu! Shamu!" out of my head!

Overall, it's still the best produced Shamu show, dry or not. Do we really want those cheesy Shamu shows from the 70's and early 80's back?? "Shamu Goes to College" anyone?
    My Disney Adventure's vlogs!
    www.youtube.com/G74Vlogs

Episode 8: Bella Notte - Paradise Pier at night
    Episode 7: 45 years of hope and laughter
    Episode 6: Service and Sacrifice
    Episode 5: "Destination D Montage"
    Episode 4: "It's a Sklar World"

"I don't know matter, you don't matter
    Neither does this mindless chatter."
    -Pete Townshend

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I've added a poll so people can get a quick idea of how this show rates.

I've been looking forward to seeing this show for myself, and am discouraged to hear that it might not be very good.

I'll be sure to add my review as well after I've seen it (probably in the next week or two).
    Dusty...be advise! AVOID AVOID!!! Bad show from Sea World. You can sit on the curb at the MK's Main Street an hour before the parade and get the same show, with the added bonus of bad fashions. AVOID like the plague.

• Main Gypsy

We picked up our Fun Cards on Sunday and I was able to see the show for the first time. While I enjoyed the show, I didn't leave the show "wowed" and was pretty surprised when people started leaving and then I realized that the show was over.

Overall, it was entertaining and I did enjoy the show...

(and Dusty, if you come see it in a couple of weeks.... call us, we will have a meet )

• I Love Teaching!

I was not impressed with the show at all. I saw it on Saturday and I was bored, not only was the same behavior shown over and over, but even the trainers looked bored. When we were walking around Sea World, there were educators at certain places, like the manatee exhibit, and the penguin feeding. When there are that many people at a show, there could be some education about the killer whales, like where they live, what they eat, how to make their environment better. They seem to only want to sell Shamu merchandise.

• This space for rent

For anybody who might be visiting Sea World Orlando and wanted to see Believe in the near future. More than likely part of, or all of Believe won't be performed for a little while due to the birth of a killer whale yesterday.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

I don't know if they have changed the show since the summer, and that is what people are reacting to. When we saw the show in June, it was amazing. My daughter was lucky enough to be the kid selected to be in the show (she's always had a bond with Orcas, especially Bjossa, from Vancouver Aquarium before she got sick and went to SD to die), so maybe that clouds my opinion.
    Orca shows are becomming so informative (edu-talk) and less demonstrative, seeing a show like "Believe" reminds me that these great creatures are worthy of care and respect. Show us their power and form. Show us their natural behaviours and why they do them. Stop the cheesy showpieces, and start respecting these creatures for what they are. Vancouver won't even bring in orcas anymore, and it won't be long before we start ignoring commercial whaling becaues we don't understand them.

• a beautiful wreck

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rex View Post
    I was at SeaWorld San Diego on Saturday to pick up a fun card. I also checked out the new shamu "Believe" show while I was around. What a disappointment.

There was just about zero Orca/Human interaction. That was one of the best parts about the show! Seeing the trainers surf on the Orcas, or get launched into the air riding on the whales nose! Now I know that a trainer was basically used as an Orca toy not too long ago, but I think over the history of the show, the animals are pretty safe and reliable. It would be a shame if they calmed the show down because some lawyers said so.

I was there a couple Sunday's ago and one of the trainers rode an Orca.. and was launched into the air.. It may depend which Orcas and trainers are used for the show.
    tick tock tick tock madness comes tonight
    what's reality compared to me
    I rest on the bed and I'm sure I slowly get mad
    I'm in a state of mind which makes me blind
    for the fact that I'm a man
    I'm here to stay forever but not today

--
    Timekiller - Project Pitchfork

• a beautiful wreck

Why the hate guys? I actually love Believe... but that's just me.. People are complaining that the trainers are talking too much.. well.. it IS part of the show. I find Believe alot better than the crap Disney is churning out in its theme parks lately.. Aladdin? Snow White? .. I fart in their general directions! (just saw Spamalot this weekend.. sorry :P )
    tick tock tick tock madness comes tonight
    what's reality compared to me
    I rest on the bed and I'm sure I slowly get mad
    I'm in a state of mind which makes me blind
    for the fact that I'm a man
    I'm here to stay forever but not today

--
    Timekiller - Project Pitchfork

• Banned User

I'm on the fence about killer whales being held in captivity but I have a question.

How much of Sea World's income goes into rescue and rehabilitation efforts? I mean, if Sea World didn't exist, would those programs not exist, or is the place more of a business than a conservation effort?

Basically, are the actors who play Shamu performing tricks to help raise money to save other whales and marine life?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast