old SeaWorld attractions

So this has been driving me crazy for the longest time. Does anyone remember the old Cap'n Kid's World at SeaWorld San Diego? I know that they still have the nets and such, but I faintly remember a hedge maze and world map. The map had real water where there were rivers and lakes. I think they were over where the horses are now located. I was probably only 4 or 5 when they were there (so about 20 years ago). If anyone has more information or pictures that would totally make my day! Thanks!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: old SeaWorld attractions

WELCOME to MiceChat! Sorry no photos that I can find but did unearth this on Sunday:

Anyone have any idea what year its from?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Blog Entries

I remember it! My parents have tons of pictures of my brother and I over there. We loved it! I was just there last week and they have done a complete redo of the play area themeing it to Sesame Street. It looks good but some of it is pretty weird.

• FastPass n00b

I remember Cap'n Kid's World as late as 1994. It was removed by 1998 so it was sometime in the mid-90's that they switched it over to the new-old theme and now they just redid it again to Sesame Street.

Talking Re: old SeaWorld attractions

We were at SeaWorld yesterday and checked out the new Bay of Play. Still mostly the same old good stuff! So does anyone remember the world map or hedge maze and where they were located? Tried to figure it out and I think they were where the Hospitality house is now. Please post pictures if you have any!!!! Thanks

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

I remember the maze so well! Whenever my dad would take me there I would always have to go through the maze and try to get lost

I also remember the map more vaguely, though.
    Do you remember the really big chess pieces?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I totally remember the hedge maze, and how cool it was to get 'lost' in it! Also loved the giant Map, and the Chess pieces! I grew up in lakeside (until we moved to Idaho when I was 11), and santee, and I always loved going to SeaWorld with my parents and Sisters!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Rather Be At Disneyland

After it was Cap'n Kid's it turned into Shamu's Happy Harbor and was recently re-themed and re-named Sesame Street Bay of Play.

About that old world map though, my mom used to be an artist for Sea World and was part of the team that created that map about 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    We were at SeaWorld yesterday and checked out the new Bay of Play. Still mostly the same old good stuff! So does anyone remember the world map or hedge maze and where they were located? Tried to figure it out and I think they were where the Hospitality house is now. Please post pictures if you have any!!!! Thanks

The one I remember the location of for sure is the map (I remember a United States map, but same description - kind of foam/rubbery ground, water where the lakes are, etc.) It was right where the flag poles are now, outside the Hospitality/Brewery center, next to the Clydesdales.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I remember the map and the chess, but not the hedge maze. I must be just outside that age group or something.
    A signature should go here.

I just spent so long searching for pictures of the hedge maze, giant chess pieces, and map. But still no luck I'm starting to think there are no pictures at all!

Those were so much fun. The maze and the map and chess board were outside of the big book store that was there when LBJ owned the park. All of that went away when the brewery bought them and brought in the horses.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com