Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Killer Whale kills worker during show

Killer whales get their name from being killers of whales.
    They belong to the dolphin family...and are not whales at all. Dolphins have been known to gang up on and kill sharks whenever their babies are threatened...and sometimes they have been known to protect human beings from them.

Orca are highly intelligent, and have never been proven to intentionally kill a person that did not threaten them. Word is that the orca thought the trainer was still playing and drug the trainer underwater before they were able to hold their breath...as they normally do. The trainers know they are risking their lives...unlike a person that is attacked by a bear in the wild.

While I regret very much the tragic loss of the SeaWorld trainer...I feel even worse about the possibility that all wildlife parks and theme parks may one day be shut down due to occasional accidental deaths from animal encounters and rides. Then what would we do...confine ourselves to our homes in the name of public safety. Overall, animal parks enlighten people about the value of the wide variety of exotic living creatures on our planet.

All animals play an important role in proticting Earth's eco system so that life can continue to thrive on our planet. The parks do a better job of educating the populus in order to protect animals in the wild than all the govenment agencies put together...and always will, provided that we do not allow a PC consumed government to shut them all down.

As for the large profits the animal parks are making (a criticism frequently lodged by critics), it takes lots of money to take care of them. The parks also take in animals that have been wounded in the wild, and nurse them back to health.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Quote Originally Posted by californiaadventurer View Post
    the whale killed a trainer in canada and then a guy who snuck into the tank at sea world after hours, attacked an almost killed a sea world trainer, and then killed another trainer yesterday.

You know i love whales but this one doesn't belong in a pool at sea world. i'm not sure any orcas belong in a pool at sea world.
    ^^this

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    ahhhh love me a good MC debate over things that mean nothing
    ...must of meant a lot to you since you took the time to read and reply.

Thanks for adding so much value to the actual discussion. Thankfully others agree that death is actually a big deal and is far from "meaning nothing" as you said. I doubt her family would appreciate that.
    -Wes

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    If a dog killed a person, it would be put down, period. It happens all the time. Logic, morality, the laws of nature, and your passionate viewpoint does not change that fact. I'm just sayin'
    Duh.

Yes, I realize that and have myself been attacked by a dog (sent to ER, serious head injury). I wasn't upset at the dog, but I was mad at the owners who didn't secure him in their house or yard. The entire point of my last post only was to say that the "dog/animal" should not and can not be blamed for an attack. It's sad that animals are put to death so quickly because of humans not caring or not being careful around them. Of course things will never change, people will keep buying pitbulls and letting their young child play with them. And keep breeding giant killer whales and locking them in a bath tub compared to the ocean.
    -Wes

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

AFA: Orca Trainer Died Because Bible Ignored

The American Family Association, the powerful right-wing Christian political organization, blogged that, “If the counsel of the Judeo-Christian tradition had been followed,” Beancheau would have never died. AFA blogger Bryan Fischer reasoned that according to Exodus, an animal like Tilikum should have been stoned back in 1991, and if biblical law were to be followed, the owners of Tilikum should be put to death:
    Chalk another death up to animal rights insanity and to the ongoing failure of the West to take counsel on practical matters from the Scripture. [...] Says the ancient civil code of Israel, “When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable.” (Exodus 21:28) So, your animal kills somebody, your moral responsibility is to put that animal to death. You have no moral culpability in the death, because you didn’t know the animal was going to go postal on somebody. But, the Scripture soberly warns, if one of your animals kills a second time because you didn’t kill it after it claimed its first human victim, this time you die right along with your animal. To use the example from Exodus, if your ox kills a second time, “the ox shall be stoned, and its owner also shall be put to death.” (Exodus 21:29)
    Think Progress American Family Association Pins SeaWorld Death On Lack Of Christianity: ‘Bible Ignored, Trainer Died’
    But despite its constant promotion of theological government and hate rhetoric, the AFA is not fringe in terms of influence. There are many powerful GOP lawmakers and leaders who regularly frequent the AFA radio program and AFA events, such as Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Steve King (R-IA), Trenk Franks (R-AZ), Tom Price (R-GA), as well as Sens. Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Johanns (R-NE), and Sam Brownback (R-KS). (HT: Gawker)
    Amazing!

• Occasional Reader

Interesting point of view. I'd like to see how many neighbours your various oxen could gore before you became culpable. So long as each neighbour is killed by a differnt ox, you're scott free according to this theory. Blame the ox and carry on as you were.

In terms of the trainer death, you need to know the details of how it occurred to determine whether there is any procedural company liability, the whale itself was to blame, or even the trainer. Unfortunately the easy route in terms of liability is to blame those that can't respond, "pilot error", crops up far too much, as does blame the animal.

A machine that had a malfunction resulting in loss of a life would not necessarily result in the machine being destroyed, but the procedures and safety around it may change. It's too easy to say it's a killer whale, bit obvious that they are dangerous, the training and procedures are all about understanding the risks and making it less dangerous.
    I can understand why seaworld want to retain use of one of their greatest show assets, they just need to do so in such a way that it doesn't compromise one of their other assets (people). You can't mitigate everything, as has been said before, you'd end up locked in your house all day. You should remove the appropriate risk, and given they have been operating as long as they have that risk/reward balance will be fairly mature. I predict that therefore that the procedural review will complete, and then a standard operating procedure tweak will happen, rather than a wholesale change. There will inevitabaly be an element of "if she'd done this, or hadn't done that" in there. It's always too easy to blame pilot error, rather than dig into the true "cause", or where you don't like the true cause. One thing is for sure, those people that worked alongside Dawn will be deeply moved by events, if not the corporate bean counters.
    Last edited by Thorpeedo; 03-05-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    Smile, you never know who's looking !

• Ravenclaw

Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Native Americans

Poor whale. I'd do the same thing if you put me in a bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Orlando SeaWorld worker killed by whale - San Jose Mercury News

Apparently, the worker was talking to the audience during the show and the whale grabbed her and thrashed her repeatedly to the ground.

This sounds gruesome and horrible. I can't imagine being in the audience of the show and seeing this happen.

Terrible tragedy.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

what ridiculous cititaions, OSHA has this thing with rails all of a sudden

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Good morning, son