Thread: Riding Manta

Riding Manta

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Orlando area later this year, and while there I'd like to ride Manta. But here's the rub: so far, the most "daring" rides I've done are California Screamin', the Sun Wheel (non-swinging) and Tower of Terror. I used to be very afraid of heights, and I'm getting over it, but still, something to the degree of Manta is very intimidating.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get myself ready to ride Manta next year. the only suggestions I can't use (that I know of) are, "Go to Magic Mountain" (too long of a drive and can't afford admission right now), and "Go to Knott's & ride Silver Bullet" (I just don't trust KBF rides). Outside of those, any advice?

Thanks!

Re: Riding Manta

"Don't trust Knotts Berry Farm Rides"

And why is that?

Since you wont go to Knotts or Magic Mountain ( they have a coaster just like Manta called Tatsu), just ride it. Your not going to die or get hurt, so if you don't like it, don't ride it again.

That simple.

Tatsu at Six Flags Magic Mountain

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBNaWnu7I_A"]YouTube- TATSU[/ame]

Manta Sea World

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ReRRnaxIo"]YouTube- Manta Front Row on-ride POV Seaworld Orlando[/ame]
    Last edited by Ryan120420; 07-04-2010 at 06:46 PM.

haha Dont be afraid of knotts! its all the same. Same companies build the rides all over including Disney. They are all kept well and the same.
    Smiley Productions

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

If I may, as the resident Zen-counselor--fear is a normal occurance when faced with the unknown.

And fear can be conquered--but only you know how to do it.

I HATE those carnival drop rides. The kind that became the Tower of Terror. But I read the reviews, watched the YouTube videos and listened to the praise those who rode it gave-and I knew I wanted to have that experience under my belt. I rode the bloody thing and continue to do so.

Also, remember, we are not your judge in any sense of the word. Your fear is your own, and we'll respect that. If you elect, in the end, not to ride, don't feel bad, or low, or down or thing that any one here will make fun of you.

And if they do, they'll deal with me.

Because we all have something we're kinda creeped out about doing.

For us? I'd rather you have a good time at one of the best competitors around to Disney. Just enjoy your day and don't stress.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post

And why is that?
    I've seen the decline (at least to my perception) at KBF over the years, and I've talked to too many people with first-hand knowledge of the levels of maintenance (or lack thereof) to feel comfortable riding much of anything there now. My wife & I both used to love KBF (her more than me, but still), but now we are just saddened by what we see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Since you wont go to Knotts or Magic Mountain (they have a coaster just like Manta called Tatsu), just ride it. Your not going to die or get hurt, so if you don't like it, don't ride it again.

That simple.
    Intellectually I know I'll be safe, it's just making myself wait in the line, controlling the potential panic-attack while be harnessed in and rotated into position, and most especially, waiting through the 30-second (give or take) climb up the initial lift hill. After that I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I have a very active imagination, and that makes it difficult to just tell myself "It'll be fine." Still, it might come down to exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    If I may, as the resident Zen-counselor--fear is a normal occurrence when faced with the unknown.

And fear can be conquered--but only you know how to do it.

I HATE those carnival drop rides. The kind that became the Tower of Terror. But I read the reviews, watched the YouTube videos and listened to the praise those who rode it gave-and I knew I wanted to have that experience under my belt. I rode the bloody thing and continue to do so.

Also, remember, we are not your judge in any sense of the word. Your fear is your own, and we'll respect that. If you elect, in the end, not to ride, don't feel bad, or low, or down or think that any one here will make fun of you.

And if they do, they'll deal with me.

Because we all have something we're kinda creeped out about doing.

For us? I'd rather you have a good time at one of the best competitors around to Disney. Just enjoy your day and don't stress.

Peace!
    Roo
    Thanks, Roo. I appreciate the reassurance. And thank you, Ryan, not only for your suggestion but also for posting the POV video for Manta. I'll be watching it many times, I'm sure.

In light of Roo's suggestion, anybody been on Manta that would like to share their fun experiences (especially those who were nervous or scared to go on it)?

Thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryan120420

And why is that?

I've seen the decline (at least to my perception) at KBF over the years, and I've talked to too many people with first-hand knowledge of the levels of maintenance (or lack thereof) to feel comfortable riding much of anything there now. My wife & I both used to love KBF (her more than me, but still), but now we are just saddened by what we see.

Who ever told you this knows absolutely nothing about KBF.

KBF is a well kept park, sure they've added a lot a roller coasters since Cedar Fair took over but that dose not mean the up keep of the park has gone down.

KBF is safe, clean, and well maintained.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I am TERRIFIED of heights, but I love roller coasters (wont' do ferris wheels though). I haven't done Manta yet, but I've done SheikRa over at Busch Gardens many times and while the few seconds at the top before the drop made me scream like banshee (the first time I rode it I did the front row and was all "I WANT MY MOMMY!!!!" before the drop ), the rest of the ride was awesome and I can't get enough of it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFZ_hve5K2s]YouTube - Sheikra busch gardens Tampa,FL[/ame]

• mountains beyond mtns.

Belgarion, you said not to tell you to go to SFMM (you can get in for only $29.95 now btw) but I will tell you to reconsider that.

I've not been on Manta but I've been on Tatsu close to forty times. It's a huge, huge jump from California Screamin and the first time I rode it, at least I had been on other rides at SFMM like Batman and Viper.

Now on Manta, the pretzel loop occurs early on in the track layout while on Tatsu it's at the end. That is not something to take for granted as the pretzel loop is one of the most intense roller coaster elements that one can experience. It is nothing at all like the loop on Screamin' and from the moment you dive down all the way to completion of the loop, you will feel as if an elephant is stepping on you. Especially if you aren't used to it, there can be a tremendous strain on your body.

On Tatsu, you've already experienced zero g rolls, corkscrews, dives by the time you get to the pretzel so you kind of get broken in. On Manta, you just seem to dive right in.

I hope I'm not discouraging you and I just want to get a more realistic view of it. In my humble reckoning, it would be much better to work your way up through other sorts of coasters before tackling Manta. Put it this way, even some seasoned coaster riders I know do not like Tatsu's pretzel loop. I love the ride and it's my second favorite at SFMM but that's in spite of the pretzel.

Also, being on a flying coaster is an entirely different sensation than being on your regular sit down coaster. That too is something not to be taken for granted.

If you do ultimately decide to go through with it, it'll help to take some deep breaths before the pretzel loop comes and then while on the loop, you can close your eyes if need be. For the smoothest ride, I would sit in the middle rows and in the middle. The G Forces will be most intense on the back row so avoid sitting there.

If you have any more questions or concerns, just ask away And hopefully I didn't scare you completely from going on Manta!

Manta is MUCH tamer than Tatsu, both psychologically and in terms of the forces experienced by riders. Manta isn't nearly as tall. The pretzel loop is much smaller, and configured to be much milder.

Tatsu's pretzel loop is one of the most intense coaster elements anywhere, and as the ride is built on a mountain, it is unusually tall.

If you do ride Manta (you should, it is a wonderful coaster with fun theming), I suggest you sit towards the front of the train for the mildest experience.

• Circle of Ancients

I haven't ridden Manta yet, but I agree about Tatsu. The Pretzel Loop is CRAZY intense. So much so that I can generally only ride Tatsu once or twice each visit. I can ride X2 much more times, but that Pretzel Loop gets me every time.

I have ridden a couple of other "Flyers" at other Six Flags and the intensity is nowhere near the same as Tatsu. I would guess that the intensity of Manta is probably along those lines, and if so, you should be fine.

Most flyers are very "Graceful" floaty type rides and the only intense part is the pretzel loop.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I haven't ridden in Manta or Tatsu, but I did do Superman in SF Great Adventure. Superman is like an older model of Manta and Tatsu. It has the pretzel loop , its just a bit smaller - less inversions and the drop is about 10 ft less than the other 2.

I like rollercoasters, and this one was something else. It is quite intense.

I looked up Manta vs Tatsu and the are really similar:
    The drop is only a 1 ft difference between the 2, they both have 4 inversions. Manta goes 56 mph max speed and Tatsu goes 62 mph. If you can do one, you can do the other.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ