• Iron-Clad Allie

Sea World Parks: Robust Expansion Schedule

SeaWorld Orlando: SeaWorld endures rough first year after sale to Blackstone, but executives say better times are ahead - OrlandoSentinel.com

In spite of a sluggish maiden year of Blackstone Group's ownership of Sea World Parks' was sluggish, they are aggressively stepping up their plans to build new attractions. Bless their little sea fairing hearts.

The largest construction undertaking since the company began is about to commence in 2011. Around $200 million in capital outlay will be invested in new attractions across eight parks. Only two parks received significant additional funding for new attractions this year.

Foreign markets have also captured the companies interest to evaluate in consideration of future growth. China and Southeast Asia are the first non-U.S. regions they are wanting introduce parks.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Sea World Parks: Robust Expansion Schedule

I am thrilled about the future, but sad about the temporary job losses. After the opening of the WWOHP I trust in Blackstone to do what is best.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Read through the article, this is what appears to be the "robust expansion":

Among the projects now under way: new killer-whale shows for the three SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio, plus a sea-turtle attraction in San Diego; a nearly $40 million cheetah-themed roller coaster at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay; and a 246-foot-drop tower and an unnamed roller coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.
    Not sure if I would call $200 million spread between a few parks a "robust" investment.

There was a separate topic that talked about the new Shamu show, and that it is being prompted by the recent death of one of their "trainers". In the new show, the "trainers" are going to be keeping more of a distance from the whales.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Read through the article, this is what appears to be the "robust expansion":

Not sure if I would call $200 million spread between a few parks a "robust" investment.

There was a separate topic that talked about the new Shamu show, and that it is being prompted by the recent death of one of their "trainers". In the new show, the "trainers" are going to be keeping more of a distance from the whales.
    New Killer Whale shows, a drop tower. two coasters, and a major interactive chetah habitat/show is quite a lot for the upcoming 2011 season I would say. The live chetah attraction will intertwine with the chetah themed coaster...and it will all stretch from nearly one end of the park to the other. This type of immersive attraction investment is exceptional...especially following a lackluster first year.. Should 2012 see significant improvement in attendance/spending, just imagine growth investment that Blackstone may well do.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I am thrilled about the future, but sad about the temporary job losses. After the opening of the WWOHP I trust in Blackstone to do what is best.
    Yes, I created this thread in order to add a cheerful thought to help make up for the horrible job loss. As somebody that has been layed off due to the economic crunch myself, I do not speak lightly when I say that it's sometimes necessary to downsize peronnel in order to keep a company from going under and everybody sinking with the ship. In my job loss propelled financial crises, I manned a lifeboat, went ashore and worked my bunns off for narry a dime. The quality of my work caused people to take notice, and everything has been getting better ever since. We can get through this economic downturn by hanging in there.

Sea World is by no means in any financial straights. Layoffs are always common when a new owner takes over. The big difference now is that blackstone expects a return on their investment where busch didn't. Now Sea world parks and entertainment must actually make money and with most of the parks based on animals, there are high fixed costs in running them. Also California and FLorida have higher minimum wages then the feds so labor is expensive.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

@Princecharming - Central Florida's minimum wage is the same as the Federal minimum wage.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    New Killer Whale shows, a drop tower. two coasters, and a major interactive chetah habitat/show is quite a lot for the upcoming 2011 season I would say. The live chetah attraction will intertwine with the chetah themed coaster...and it will all stretch from nearly one end of the park to the other. This type of immersive attraction investment is exceptional...especially following a lackluster first year.. Should 2012 see significant improvement in attendance/spending, just imagine growth investment that Blackstone may well do.
    They already have the whale shows, it will only be a setting dressing change - impact will be next to nothing, perhaps even a downturn, since interactive elements with the whales will be at more of a distance now. A drop tower, sorry that's really not an enhancement, those are a dime a dozen. So, that leaves us will a couple of cheap coasters, and that other thing which will only affect one of the parks. Like I said 200 million just doesn't go very far, spread among several parks.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    They already have the whale shows, it will only be a setting dressing change - impact will be next to nothing, perhaps even a downturn, since interactive elements with the whales will be at more of a distance now. A drop tower, sorry that's really not an enhancement, those are a dime a dozen. So, that leaves us will a couple of cheap coasters, and that other thing which will only affect one of the parks. Like I said 200 million just doesn't go very far, spread among several parks.
    I agree its not really something that favors the actual Sea world parks, The shamu shows change regularly regardless of accidents... and the new Sea Turtle exhibit in san diego is nothing that will bring in a significant amount of new visitors. Blackstone needs to bring the same level of investment to San Diego ... Orlando has had plenty of additions over the years its time for San Diego to get Manta or something of that caliber

• www.JonAutopsy.com

I absolutely love Sea World SD and it would be awesome to see a lot more out there soon, as well, because as much as I enjoy going, SWSD is only a once a year (if that) attraction, for me. There's only so much to do so to keep the magic alive for me, I dont go as often as I could.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I agree, I enjoy many of SD Sea World, but not much has really changed over at least the past 20 years. Last time I went there was a couple summers ago, ended up getting an annual pass, as it was part of the deal, only went 2 times. That means that should be good enough for at least another 3 to 5 years. Will they every update the show in the lagoon???

Regardless, I still enjoy several of the exhibits, especially the penguins, the dolphins, sea otters, and the sea lion show. Oh, I like the polar bears, too (although I prefer the polar bear exhibit at the San Diego Zoo, more. )