• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Why I stand with SeaWorld, and why I love SeaWorld

]Exploring Orlando Theme ParksI posted a post a while ago, about why I stand with SeaWorld.

I want to take a moment, and really express my opinion again. First off let me express that I am a person who loves animals. I am passionate about animal care, so much so that every time a circus comes to Orlando, I take time off work, and out of my day to go and protest the circus. Here is a recent photo of me Protesting a circus in downtown Orlando.

Name:  protest.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  82.0 KB

The idea of animals being harmed, and abused makes me physically ill. Elephants like some whale species are sentient beings, who are extremely intelligent, and have no right being in the disgusting conditions that circuses place them in. Beyond that they way they are bred, trained, and live when they are not performing are equally disgusting and barbaric.
    It is easy for people to hear information about SeaWorld, and just jump on the band wagon of burying SeaWorld, and make wild accusations about care, and quality of life for these animals.
    Let me first start off by say, is the life of a whale in captivity ideal? No.
    It is easy to stop there, and demand that they be released into the wild, and we just lovingly watch them from afar.
    However our world is not that simple. We are living in a time of crisis, our oceans are under siege by pollution, over fishing, and illegal whaling. We humans have a fatal flaw, that we disregard that which we don’t understand or relate to.
    SeaWorld plays a crucial, essential part in protecting our oceans, and whale species as a whole.
    The orcas, dolphins, purposes, mammals, birds, reptiles, who are in the care of SeaWorld act as ambassadors for their species. Allowing for MILLIONS of people from all over the world to connect with them, care about them, love them. I know my own personal love for marine life came from visiting SeaWorld as a child and as an adult. Because of that I have become active in supporting groups like the Sea Shepherd, Green Peace, and other local groups. My personal connection to the animals in SeaWorld’s care has resulted in real world action and protection.
    My story is one that is repeated by millions over across the world. While the original Flipper might have lived a tragically short life, because of his life, and him being in everyone’s living room, when it came to light that Dolphins were being caught in Tuna nets, people who felt that emotional connection to Flipper, were outraged, and staged boycotts, that were successful and how have saved the lives of thousands upon thousands of dolphins.
    So while Flippers life was short, he saved a generation of dolphins.
    This all being said, I have met a lot of people who work and care for the animals at SeaWorld, and I had the pleasure of meeting Dawn a number of times before her tragic death, and I have never met a group of people more dedicated to the care, happiness and health of the animals in their charge.
    So please don’t just join the band wagon against SeaWorld. Take a moment and be grateful that SeaWorld exists and that because of it, generations of Marine life will be protected because people connect with it on a personal level when they visit SeaWorld.
    I stand with you SeaWorld!

[/QUOTE]
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Why I stand with SeaWorld, and why I love SeaWorld

If you disagree with this please keep it civil, and nice.lol

• The Pumpkin King

I agree with you 100% KingEric. I love animals. I for one am disgusted about how some of the human species treats another person or animal. Animals have feelings just like we do.

I am also against killing animals as a sport. That would be like an alien killing us just for thier fun and entertainment. But then you have some animals that would get over populated, so some would argue that you would have to kill some of them. But, thats just from what I have heard from some people.

Same goes for killing an animal just for the fur (unless the animal is already dead by other means). Now I can understand that way back then people had to do so, that they could keep warm and such.

The only time I would consider even killing an animal is for survival purposes or for self defence. Yes I know we kill cows and other animals to eat, but again thats baisically for survival purposes, we gotta eat also.

As for abusing animals, thats cruel as well and just F'd up.

• DLR Cast Member

I love Sea World. I love the circus. If the circus is cold, I'll be sure to wear my fur coat and leather boots.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    [url=http://orlandothemeparks.tumblr.com/post/10481243997/continued-support-for-seaworld-i-love-seaworld

[/URL]
    I suggest going back stage at Sea World. It was so disgusting. If you think the tanks "onstage" are small, they are tiny backstage. And there is so much that the public does not know about. The trainers are injured on a weekly basis, yet the media does not find out about it because it's not during a show. I know the trainers all love these animals, but I think their love clouds their judgment and ability to see what they are participating in.

I love dolphins, but it has nothing to do with SeaWorld. It has everything to do with living next to the ocean my whole life and watching the dolphins jump FREELY in the waves. The video posted above says everything.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah.....i get depressed going to zoos and what not....I love seeing them and all but Im too logical of a person to not think about what happens when I go home...they sit there...waiting to be free and live.

I know I rather risk being eaten in the wild then be safe in a cage

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yeah.....i get depressed going to zoos and what not....I love seeing them and all but Im too logical of a person to not think about what happens when I go home...they sit there...waiting to be free and live.

I know I rather risk being eaten in the wild then be safe in a cage
    It isn't risk being eaten in the wild or safe in a cage... it is about the long term success of a species due to humanities every growing impact on this planet.

We protect what we understand. So Zoos and Aquatic Parks help us understand and connect with these Animals so that we will protect them in the wild. A sad but true fact.

Just look at marine species that are becoming extinct because they have no zoological presence.

Vaquita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Vaquita located in the Gulf of California is near extinction (only 400 left) because no one knows it exists. It breaks my heart. And I have donated money to a film, to educational foundations, etc to help protect this animal, yet year after year it's numbers go down.

Soon it will no longer be on this planet, because people haven't come in contact with it, and do not feel inclined to act.

• "I Break Things"

I gave this a lot of thought before replying. I mentioned this to Tink the other day. Assuming decades from now our kids make us grandparents, their kids might only read about this strange experience known as a Circus. That wasn't in response to the Ringling lawsuit, it was in response to the loss of the Elephant ride at the Santa Ana Zoo. It was 1 of only 2 zoos in the entire US that still had an elephant ride. Now there is only 1 (and a handful of large county fairs). I remember being the kid on an elephant, decades ago, it's part of the reason I care so much about them! Ironic... don't you think... my main influence and compassion for elephants stems from childhood rides on the backs of them. How many generations will never know that experience? How many generations will never know what it feels like to have an elephant walk past? To physically feel the ground shake as the gentle giant moves about? You don't feel that in zoo's, you can't, you can't get that close. How many will never know what an elephant's skin feels like, or what it's like to feed one? America is starting to treat them like pieces of art, to be gazed upon at a distance.

To be fair the charity that ran the little zoo elephant ride was accused of elephant abuse. A video surfaced, Santa Ana itself was flooded with protesters who previously ignored the little zoo. And before an investigation could be launched the AZA decided to change the guidelines for public interaction with elephants. The end result is a public now distanced from an almost mythical creature that has carried mankind for centuries. Horses are just as intelligent, but no one thinks twice about sitting on one. If you point out how social horses are, that they traveled in herds and grazed for miles a day... no one cares.

I haven't taken my kids to the circus yet, but I hope to do so before the laws change. I want my kids to witness history, the good and the bad, so they can relate it to future generations. From horses to elephants, tigers to lions, trapeze artists to the man in the cannon... nothing compared to the experience of the circus. It would be great if the animals didn't have to do tricks. It would be even better if the local zoo's were in charge of simply displaying the animals... honestly letting the public get close. Of my friends who are conservationists, many credit the circus as being their first glimpse of the exotic animals. Childhood memories that forged lifelong appreciation of the wild.

I see SeaWorld in the same light as I see the circus. They convince animals to perform by "rewarding" them with snacks in a larger tank. When the show is over it's back to the smaller tank they go, waiting until they get to perform again. Without these shows, SeaWorld is just an aquarium. You can't logically separate the circus from the show. In both cases you have gentle giants placed in captivity who would otherwise roam miles each day. I'm sorry, they can't be separated.

Before anyone jumps on a bandwagon, Tink and I do everything possible to give our kids unique animal experiences. Our kids have fed lorikeets, giraffes, bears, turtles, iguanas, camels, dolphins, sea lions, and even Galapagos tortoises. They've held countless large snakes and monitors, petted sharks and even a possum, ran with a cheetah, held a baby crocodile and touched countless sea stars. They've ridden mules, burros, horses, camels, and yes an amazing elephant. They paced with a lion and played peek-a-boo with an octopus. My hope is that they grow up and they care... they care about the natural world and appreciate a lot of experiences their own kids may not have a chance to know. We were very lucky that places like San Diego Zoo, Long Beach Aquarium, Santa Ana Zoo, Moon Ridge Animal Park, Prehistoric Pets, Oasis Camel Dairy and yes, even Sea World... are there.

So that is my "answer". I hope that when the circus does away with the animal tricks, the zoos' shows don't become the next target. It would be a shame if the very institutions that promote conservation are targeted for displaying the creatures that make people care.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

These aren't in any particular order. It's things we've done over the past few years. I have plenty more but these are the "direct" animal encounters.

Name:  18436_272292688155_585578155_4322998_7467267_n.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  76.9 KB
    Santa Ana Zoo

Name:  19136_316780103155_585578155_4512697_6566451_n.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  51.9 KB
    Sea World

Name:  19136_316779648155_585578155_4512636_6152500_n.jpg
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  19136_316779658155_585578155_4512638_44899_n.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  35.5 KB
    what a memory!

Name:  66532_470155433155_585578155_6609672_1816665_n.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  43.7 KB
    Saying hello at Mirage Dolphin Gardens, Las Vegas NV

Name:  217535_10150199997408156_585578155_8152813_5430007_n.jpg
Size:  102.7 KB
    the "Wild" burros of Oatman AZ.

Name:  34076_430741813155_585578155_5696145_3123249_n.jpg
Size:  140.3 KB
    Santa Ana Zoo's camel ride

The Prehistoric Pet Halloween Ball

Name:  217242_10150216443908156_585578155_8325475_1883122_n.jpg
Size:  103.2 KB
    that's gonna leave an impression!

Name:  61556_461654563155_585578155_6449056_92525_n.jpg
Size:  129.7 KB
    They got to pet them, and feed them...

Name:  25000_397974863155_585578155_4848761_1653487_n.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  107.9 KB
    He'll remember that moment

Name:  25000_397976968155_585578155_4848862_1742875_n.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  111.9 KB
    She was barely 2 when that was taken. All she wanted to do was hug the giraffe. To this day the giraffe is one of her favorite animals!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

That is powerful TechSkip. Thank you for sharing your families memories. I really appreciate it.

• Minion

I really hate zoos that have poor conditions for the animals but i love Disney Animal Kingdom and safari ride which the animals are roaming acres of land which I'm ok with but not when they are in caged areas.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on