• Banned User

Journey to Atlantis: Orlando v. San Diego

Ok, well I really have to say I was VERY disappointed with the one in San Diego. I saw ride clips on TV of the one in Orlando and it looked amazing! I was just, well like...upset at San Diego's after I rode it. It is just so pointless and dumb and I was just hoping it would actually be better than the one in Orlando - but in sank badly in comparison! Even the building's exterior is pathetic looking to that of Orlando's. What happened SeaWorld?

Has anyone been on BOTH Atlantis versions? Or if you have just been on Orlando's, how was it! Tell me a lot of details of the ride, please.

Let's discuss because I was really mad at the one in San Diego.

• Banned User

Re: Journey to Atlantis: Orlando v. San Diego

Orlandos is more water ride than coaster.. (except the lift which takes place outside...)

Sandeigo's is more coaster than water ride... (except that watery drop at the end...)

as i have not been on San diegos, thats the best i can say....

• I Hug My Tapirs

I've been on both, and Figment1986 sums it up pretty well. I like Orlando's MUCH better - much nicer ride elements. The San Diego one looks AWFUL these days - the effects are falling apart. I went on it during employee previews, and saw what it looked like originally... there's so much that's not working on it now, it's pathetic.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• done

I've been on each ride, though our Orlando ride was quite some years ago, so I don't remember details. I just remember loving it, and we actually went on it twice, with the consequence that we got absolutely soaked on our second ride, so much so that we had to drive back to the hotel to change because we hadn't been prepared. (This was at the end of November in the early evening, and we had been planning on staying until closing and didn't want to spend a few hours at night at that time of year soaking wet.)

Even though it doesn't make a lot of sense, I like the "dark ride" story at the beginning of the Orlando version. You get a little ride-by, kind of like with Small World, where they tell you this little story. And then you get to the water ride portion, which is pretty fun. The best part, though, is that after that, you think you're done, but when you get to the back, your "boat" gets locked into a track, and there's a roller coaster portion at the end. You can't see it from outside, so we had no idea that was coming. It was so cool.

The San Diego version doesn't have the story at the beginning, and since you can see the monstrosity that is the roller coaster portion from the parking lot, it's no surprise at all. We went on it once and were seriously disappointed. No interest in going on their version again.

• Functional & Decorative

I haven't been on the Orlando version, but I have heard (and totally believe) it's a lot better. The San Diego version is not all that exciting, as much as I want to like it.

However, as I understand it, when Sea World was trying to build it, they meet up with a lot of opposition and restrictions from the city, quoting a lot of environmental impacts (although the sense was that they simply really didn't want their skyline marred with a common thrill ride). The ride nearly didn't come to be at all. I got the sense it's a way watered-down version of what Sea World themselves would have liked to have. Note that SWO, in addition to the better JTA, also has Kraken, a large thrill ride coaster. I think SWSD would love to "catch up", but the SD government just won't really allow it. So they took what they could get, IMO.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

The really big problem in San Diego is that Busch leases the land from the city. Anything that they do has to be approved by the city council. The councilperson who represents the district where SW is located is vehemently against the park, and routinely gives them a lot of greif. There is a contingent of the populace (especially those living in that district) who would like to bulldoze SW and put in a beach and green park.

• Banned User

Wink Re: Journey to Atlantis: Orlando v. San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman
    The really big problem in San Diego is that Busch leases the land from the city. Anything that they do has to be approved by the city council. The councilperson who represents the district where SW is located is vehemently against the park, and routinely gives them a lot of greif. There is a contingent of the populace (especially those living in that district) who would like to bulldoze SW and put in a beach and green park.
    Senario 1.. Seaworld gets buldozed and the city has to raise taxes.. lol

Senario 2 Seaworld pourchases property and city has more taxes...

which is better??

The public needs to learn that.... it's an educational park that needs some thrills to get the public to learn....

Seaworld cannot purchase the land it is on as it is under the jurisdiction of the Californina Coastal Commission. In fact there is now no coastal land that they could purchase in California. Seaworld pays rent, and I believe, a percentage of the gross, to the city. For the most part the general population of San Diego doesn't have a problem with Seaworld, just a segment that lives in that district that wants to turn back the clock to 1955.

• I <3 Clarinet.

The original plans made Journey to Atlantis like such a great experience. I've been a Platnium AP member for a while and have been eagerly awaiting another attraction that wouldn't soak you to the bone like Shipwreck Rapids was...but what we got was just disappointing.

Everyone keeps complaining about the two "giant thumbs" of Mission Bay...but it would have come out so much better...if a little more was built to conceal the structure. Combined with the stark white lighting at night, it just look terrible most of the time.

I was expecting to much from this ride...an interesting way to see the long lost Commerson's dolphins and the interesting water coaster combo to boot. And while the elevator lift is really quite amazing everything else came out so cheaply. The movie screens are never working in the lift, you can always clearly see the elevators moving up and down the tower as you wait in the chamber (CLOSE THE DOORS!), and the acoustics for the entire ride is terrible. There's almost no point to trying to pull of any story during the ride. You can't hear anything and there's no visual cues for anything.

Seeing as Sea World can't do anything more with the physical attraction...there has to be much more in the different pools you float about it. Maybe mist screen a la Fantasmic or Davy Jones or more subtle theming. Boring "garden hose" fountains just don't make very good eye candy!

• Monorail Racer

I definitely prefer the Orlando version. As others have mentioned, it's a lot more interesting and the effects all seem to work.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.