Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    huntington beach
    Posts
    1,028

    NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Lawsuit May End Waterside Fireworks Statewide

    Thursday, September 07, 2006


    By Jack Innis
    SAN DIEGO - A lawsuit that led to the cessation of fireworks at SeaWorld may threaten waterside fireworks throughout the state. Boaters along the West Coast - from San Diego to Puget Sound, Wash. - have enjoyed watching waterside fireworks for decades. Such fireworks are popular with boaters nationally and internationally. SeaWorld stopped their fireworks shows August 19 to avoid a lawsuit from San Diego Coastkeeper, an environmental group that contends chemical and paper residue from the fireworks are polluting Mission Bay.
    full story

  2. #2

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,797

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Another entertainment venue taken away. I truly hope it doesn't go statewide.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

  3. #3

    • Neep meep beep
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seven miles from Disneyland/DCA!
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    I saw this in the LA Times this weekend! I spent a lot of time in San Diego, and the Sea World fireworks were a great tradition every summer. I hope they make a compromise that doesn't hurt sea life (even though it seems there's a lot of speculative science in that article), and also allows for this to continue. Moving the fireworks launching location might work.

    Thanks Aniko!

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    They don't an air launch system do they? Isn't that Disney's and Disney's only?

  5. #5

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    I don't think it's the launch system that they have a problem with, but the actual fallout from the shells exploding.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  6. #6

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,770

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Damn treehuggers.

  7. #7

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    I saw the show a few times. It wasn't that great. If the show causes the bay to become polluted then it's common sense to stop the show. Sea World is about preserving sea life not doing stuff to endanger it.

  8. #8

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Speaking as someone who spent a summer cleaning up after that show, I don't think it's as big a deal as they say. First of all, it really doesn't use a whole lot of shells anyways. Second, there's quite a bit of cleanup that goes on. We spent about an hour after each show out there with a barge cleaning up the shell pieces off the surface of the water, and the next morning an outside crew would pick up the pieces that ended up on the beach and deliver them back to us for weighing/record-keeping. Not only that, but when they cleaned up the beach, they often cleaned up NON-fireworks-related trash - the beach was left cleaner than it was before the show began!
    I know that doesn't take into account the chemical fallout, but I just don't think that those levels are anything to be worried about. Honestly, I'd be more worried about all the sewage that ends up in that bay, and the fact that it was a HORRIBLY-designed bay.(due to all the changes made to it in the mid-20th century) - it has awful flow!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  9. #9

    • Colorful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon
    Posts
    4,583

    Sad Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    That's very sad. I have stronger feelings on this matter but this is not the proper forum...at least until this discussion is moved to the Debate forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Moon and New York City.
    Posts
    689

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten View Post
    Speaking as someone who spent a summer cleaning up after that show, I don't think it's as big a deal as they say. First of all, it really doesn't use a whole lot of shells anyways. Second, there's quite a bit of cleanup that goes on. We spent about an hour after each show out there with a barge cleaning up the shell pieces off the surface of the water, and the next morning an outside crew would pick up the pieces that ended up on the beach and deliver them back to us for weighing/record-keeping. Not only that, but when they cleaned up the beach, they often cleaned up NON-fireworks-related trash - the beach was left cleaner than it was before the show began!
    I know that doesn't take into account the chemical fallout, but I just don't think that those levels are anything to be worried about. Honestly, I'd be more worried about all the sewage that ends up in that bay, and the fact that it was a HORRIBLY-designed bay.(due to all the changes made to it in the mid-20th century) - it has awful flow!
    You hit right on the spot about the bay. I would think that it would be more polluted from the ever-so-often sewage spills, then from fireworks.
    I assume they use "cleaner" or more environmentally-friendly fireworks like Disneyland does as California has different laws than most states.

    I don't understand what the reasoning is. If there are parks or events that trash or violate they should be fined and not every park get stopped from having fireworks.

  11. #11

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,824

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood View Post
    I don't understand what the reasoning is. .
    Well it just seems San Diego hates Sea World...that is what I get from all the "No Fireworks! No Atlantis!" messages that SWSD seems to get.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    382

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    No, San Diego doesn't hate Seaworld, only a small, yet powerful group of people who own property around the bay. They have elected former "surfer" onto the city council whose agenda includes (among other things) forcing Seaworld off the bay. Granted, some of them have lived there before Seaworld was built, but most have moved in long after the park opened.

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Sea world has the right to be there....

    do an enviromental impact study... if there is soemthing going on from the fireworks... they can change the fireworks.. use the air launch system developed by disney (they gave the patents to a charity, so anyone may use them right, as long as the charity gets their fair share?)

    They could always move the fireworks closer to the homes... lol

    and why can't BEC get someone who supports the park on the board?

  14. #14

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897

    Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    No, San Diego doesn't hate Seaworld, only a small, yet powerful group of people who own property around the bay. They have elected former "surfer" onto the city council whose agenda includes (among other things) forcing Seaworld off the bay. Granted, some of them have lived there before Seaworld was built, but most have moved in long after the park opened.
    Bingo. It's my experience that the majority of the city actually loves SeaWorld. People get excited when you say you work there. Unfortunately, the minority that doesn't like it is very, very vocal. I know we always had to be very careful about what we said over the radios, because people outside the park would monitor radio traffic. :/
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  15. #15

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Wink Re: NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show

    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten View Post
    Bingo. It's my experience that the majority of the city actually loves SeaWorld. People get excited when you say you work there. Unfortunately, the minority that doesn't like it is very, very vocal. I know we always had to be very careful about what we said over the radios, because people outside the park would monitor radio traffic. :/
    Didnt BEC upgrade to nextels for closed circult by now???
    (Then again, I dont know if BEC upgraded Tampa's park yet either)

    I would so prank a vocal if i had the chance and radio...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] New Firework show
    By WCY95 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
  2. Fox finally cancels a show that deserves it!
    By Tui in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
  3. Firework Show Recording
    By Twist_of_Fate in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 05:06 PM
  4. NEWS : Sea World Cancels Firework Show
    By ~*~Aniko~*~ in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
  5. What's your favorite firework show?
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •