Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: 7/15: SeaWhirled

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post

This post makes no sense at all. Lucasfilm owns the Star Wars Trilogy. Fox owns the film rights. Disney owns the theme park rights. It seems that you're the one who needs to think before typing.

Fox owns nothing of Star Wars. They have a distribution deal only, and a limited distribution deal at that. You may notice that The Clone Wars cartoon is being distributed by Warner Bros. Lucas can take any future Star Wars projects to any studio he wants, Fox has no rights in this regard.

Like wise Disney owns no rights to to theme park versions of Lucasfilm movies beyond the existing rides at Disney parks. Lucas can create other attractions based on Star Wars or Indiana Jones anywhere he wants, or create his own theme park if he wants.

Lucasfilm retains all rights to all of their products and can do what they want with them.

Doug
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• Ignore the meager number

I won't go through point by point your analysis, nor am I attempting to rebut it, but I would like to add that SeaWorld is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. This organization is a non-profit which evaluates facilities every 5 years. It does not simple make sure laws and ethics are being followed, it has specific criteria as far as care, education and conservation.

I do not know their exact criteria, but I feel I need to give at least basic information as Mr. Dewd is clearly on one side of the issue. I'm fairly neutral as I enjoy SeaWorld and think they do probably sway public opinion in sea animal's favor, but also feel that the best place for animals is in the wild.

I also know that SeaWorld's orca population consists of captive bred animals. They do not capture animals anymore. I cannot speak as to the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dewd View Post
    Two points:

1. ANIMAL CONSERVATION: Where does Kevin get the idea that Animal Shows=Animal Conservation? What animal conservation has Sea World really done (besides sometimes helping stranded animals)? And what do their shows have to do with this? Their shows are mostly silly affairs that have little to do with Education and nothing to do with "Animal Conservation".

2. RIDES VS. SHOWS: One of the reasons that Sea World moved into rides and away from shows is because it has become harder and harder to capture marine mammals. Sea World originally built its reputation on "Shamu". As we know, orcas don't live very long in captivity (the average lifespan of a captive orca is 7 years) - but capturing a wild orca has become very expensive. This is partly because Sea World is banned from capturing orcas in U.S. waters (since they were found to be using explosives as part of their capture technique) and they were forced to capture in the open waters of the Northern Atlantic (near Greenland). While it used to cost a million dollars to capture an orca, it now costs many millions of dollars. So Sea World found it couldn't base its future on Shamu and was forced to expand into other arenas (such as rides). This would be a major consideration for any future owner: what is the future of Sea World?
    Yo ho!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    And in Europe it is marketed as "Bud" and not "Budweiser." The Czech beer sold as Budweiser in Europe (sold in the U.S. as "Czechvar") is not an A-B product.
    I will check in a few weeks and look at the cans for sure

I know the can looks identical from afar (I'd never order one there myself..) but I don't know if they change the wording.

Either way - the product is sold there - be it a different name or not. You don't say Coke isn't sold in so many countries because they change it's name or taste.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dewd View Post
    Two points:

1. ANIMAL CONSERVATION: Where does Kevin get the idea that Animal Shows=Animal Conservation? What animal conservation has Sea World really done (besides sometimes helping stranded animals)? And what do their shows have to do with this? Their shows are mostly silly affairs that have little to do with Education and nothing to do with "Animal Conservation".

2. RIDES VS. SHOWS: One of the reasons that Sea World moved into rides and away from shows is because it has become harder and harder to capture marine mammals. Sea World originally built its reputation on "Shamu". As we know, orcas don't live very long in captivity (the average lifespan of a captive orca is 7 years) - but capturing a wild orca has become very expensive. This is partly because Sea World is banned from capturing orcas in U.S. waters (since they were found to be using explosives as part of their capture technique) and they were forced to capture in the open waters of the Northern Atlantic (near Greenland). While it used to cost a million dollars to capture an orca, it now costs many millions of dollars. So Sea World found it couldn't base its future on Shamu and was forced to expand into other arenas (such as rides). This would be a major consideration for any future owner: what is the future of Sea World?

I must take exception to this post. SeaWorld is a great zooilogical park. From the owners, to the management to the trainers, there is great care and love for the animals. I am close friends with the people who care for the sharks, dolphins, orcas, and sealions. All of the people who the care of these amazing animals are entrusted to provide the best possible care and treatment, and ensure that these animals are healthy, menaltally and physically, and that they are loved.

While I personally go sailing a lot and have a lot of contact with dolphins in the wild, and I would much rather see dolphins only in the wild in a perfect world, these animals act as amazing ambassadors for their species and help us humans connect with these animals so that we will help make the right choices to protect them!

To your first point, SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation fund in it's 30 year history has cared for over 60,000 animals, and has rehabilitated and returned to the wild over 13,000 animals! This is not just some publicity campaign, this is passion and love for animals! http://www.swbg-conservationfund.org/history4.html This is something they believe, and I suggest you get to know some of the people who have dedicated their lives to this program, and you ask them what they think of AB, and how they get their funding, and that they are never denied a request to rescue an animal.

To your second point. I think that you have watched "Free Willy" too many times! It used to be (circa 1950) that a dolphin lived 20 years in captivity and over 70 years in the wild. But AB has invested so much money into larger tanks, better mental stimulation, breeding programs, along with alternating animals so that one animal isn't always performing, that is is no longer the case! Orcas in captivity now live 30+ years and Dolphins are also living 30+ years, how long will they live, hopefully as long as they would live in the wild!

I understand the frustration with big business, and keeping animals in captivity. I personally hate seeing any sort of suffing in this world, be it human, or wild animal. But I think there are a few companies trying to do things right, and AB is one of them. So please go to their conservation website read some of their information, if you need to talk to a trainer (my friend in charge of the Sharks, has such a passion) you will see what love and care goes into the care and protection of the animals.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Well said Eric!!!

First, I'd agree with those who posted previously that Sea World does in fact rescue & rehabilitate marine mammals, not catch them in wild! I worked at Sea World of Ohio before its sale to Six Flags, and both of the killer whales there were bred in captivity. One was 21 years old and the other was 7. Sea World in the last 30 years has bred many marine mammals in captivity, and while they do try to release those they've rehabilitated back to the wild if at all possible, it is illegal to release an animal bred in captivity into the wild so their breeding program alone has provided the most of the killer whales, dolphins and sea lions that you see in the parks since well before the acquisition by Anheuser-Busch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotel1026 View Post
    Aside from the fact that Cedar Fair doesn't have the money to buy the AB parks, they have already passed on owning/running a wildlife park. CF acquired the old Six Flags Ohio (which was a comination of Geauga Lake and Sea World Ohio) and focused on the amusement side and expanded the water park. The animals were retained by Six Flags but I believe Kinzel, the CEO of the company, made comments to the effect that CF was not interested in running a park with animals.
    I shudder to think that the remaining Sea World parks could potentially be purchased by Six Flags or Cedar Fair who contributed to the demise of first Sea World of Ohio and now Geauga Lake!

To provide some history, Six Flags initially purchased Geauga Lake, the amusement park, when it was badly in need of refurbishment. Following their briefly successful resurgence of the park as Six Flags of Ohio they took a huge risk and bought Sea World of Ohio to create the Six Flags Worlds of Adventure. However, they only purchased the park and its facilities, all of the marine animals were moved to the remaining 3 Sea World Parks. While Six Flags was able to purchase many marine animals, including a Killer whale from a failing Mexican amusement park, it was ultimately a failure as the caliber of the shows were no where near the quality of Sea World.

Cedar Fair then stepped in and bought the park returning it to its previous incarnation as Geauga Lake. The side of the park that once was Sea World became a water park within Geauga Lake known as Wild Water Kingdom. After just 2 years of running both Geauga Lake and Cedar Point which are roughly 100 miles away from each other, the Geagua Lake amusement rides were closed last year and all of the roller coasters were divided between Cedar Fair's other amusement park holdings.

All that remains of what Clevelanders once treasured as Sea World and Geauga Lake, is a wave pool, lazy river and water slides that Cedar Fair only recently installed last year. All memories of our cherished parks we grew up with have effectively been erased . . . Most of us believe that Cedar Fair never intended to rescue Geauga Lake and return it to its former glory, but instead wanted to increase the attendance at Cedar Point even further by eliminating the only local competition.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I will check in a few weeks and look at the cans for sure

I know the can looks identical from afar (I'd never order one there myself..) but I don't know if they change the wording.

Either way - the product is sold there - be it a different name or not. You don't say Coke isn't sold in so many countries because they change it's name or taste.
    That wasn't the point, though. The point was that A-B changes the taste of American Budweiser to sell in Europe. That's not true. They sell the same beer just marketed as Bud. What is called Budweiser in Europe is not made by the same company.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Shula8205 View Post
    Most of us believe that Cedar Fair never intended to rescue Geauga Lake and return it to its former glory, but instead wanted to increase the attendance at Cedar Point even further by eliminating the only local competition.
    There were a LOT of people calling that one as soon as it happened, and counting down the days until the inevitable closure of Geagua lake happened. Very sad.

Cool Re: 7/15: SeaWhirled

There was a release a couple of days ago that said some Vegas company has billions in cash and has made some offers to some big name theme park chains. Could they mean Busch? Maybe this is where InBev is getting some of their money? Who else would they be looking at buying?

Oh, and about Merlin Entertainment. They're owned by Blackstone, and Blackstone owns half of Universal Orlando. Their agreement with Universal bars them from owning any other theme park company. So it won't be Merlin.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ARW821 View Post
    Oh, and about Merlin Entertainment. They're owned by Blackstone, and Blackstone owns half of Universal Orlando. Their agreement with Universal bars them from owning any other theme park company. So it won't be Merlin.
    I doubt that considering...

Blackstone bought 70% of Legoland.. after they were in the NBC deal.. and after they bought Merlin Entertainment. They also recently bought out Madame Tussauds last year.

They also are an investor in Six Flags.

Madame Tussauds will be managed by Merlin Entertainments Group, which is controlled by Blackstone. The combined company said it will operate 50 theme parks throughout the world, including Legoland, Sea Life and the London Eye. They drew more than 30 million visitors in 2006, second only to Disney's parks
    The move by Blackstone is part of an aggressive push into the theme park business that began two years ago with its acquisition of Merlin, an international theme park company, for $187 million. It then backed Merlin's purchase of the Legoland chain later in 2005 and Gardaland, Italy's biggest theme park, last fall.

Blackstone, one of the largest private-equity firms in the world, also was a member of the group that bought Universal Studios in Orlando and is an investor in Six Flags theme parks
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030501369.html

Legoland Sale to Blackstone Now Official
    Merlin Entertainment Groups, co-owned by Blackstone and Lego, will be the parks' new owner in a $460 million deal.

By Robert Niles
    Posted via 209.178.148.115 on July 13, 2005 at 10:52 AM (MST)

Following earlier reports on TPI and elsewhere, Blackstone Capital Partners has now made official that it is buying the Legoland parks. Blackstone and Lego are forming a new company, Merlin Entertainments Group, to be 70 percent owned by Blackstone, the present owner of Merlin Entertainments in Europe, and 30 percent by Lego.

“This new ownership structure builds on our brand strength and provides the opportunity to continually grow as an attraction and as a destination for families with children,” John Jakobsen, president and general manager of Legoland California, said in a press release. “The Merlin Entertainments Group is one of the top attractions groups in Europe and this new partnership provides a strong platform to explore growth in the United States.”

Legoland officials promised no changes in park branding, theme or operations as the result of the sale.

In addition to Merlin Entertainments, Blackstone has theme park industry experience as a part owner of the Universal Orlando Resort, which includes Universal Studios Florida and Universal's Islands of Adventure, a three-time winner of the Theme Park Insider Award for world's best theme park. Legoland California is a three-time winner of the Theme Park Insider Award as world's best theme park for kids.
    http://www.themeparkinsider.com/columns/robert/245.cfm

They've been activly buying up assets long after they were in Universal Orlando with NBC

Da Internetz
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I doubt that considering...

Blackstone bought 70% of Legoland.. after they were in the NBC deal.. and after they bought Merlin Entertainment. They also recently bought out Madame Tussauds last year.

They also are an investor in Six Flags.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030501369.html

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/columns/robert/245.cfm

They've been activly buying up assets long after they were in Universal Orlando with NBC

Da Internetz
    Great finds Flynninbus! Love those articles!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Now 40% less bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomme View Post
    I do. If you want to refute something someone says, I think netiquette dictates you need to do a little better than that. Now back to my day job. In Culver City.
    Originally posted by flynnibus:
    This is the type of 'lack of research' I'm talking about. You're connected to the Internet.. use it.
    Wow, gentlemen. I had no idea my one comment was so offensive. I'll be sure to stay out of your way the next time you're picking on someone.
    Oo-de-lally!

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    Hey Kevin, you have an inacurate point in your article.

"have you tasted the "Budweiser" brand as sold in Europe? It's completely different!"

That's not an A-B brand in Europe. It's a completely different company which has been featured on 60 minutes before talking about it as "The best beer you'll never drink."
    I've bought and drank large, canned American (red, white and blue can) Budweiser beer in England, in fact it was ubiquitous in the mid-1980s in London. No idea if it was brewed in England or imported from the USA. It did taste different, which was disappointing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234