Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SeaWorld late 1980s

Hi all,

i have a question that I think I have asked here before, but never was answered. I have a very faint memory of Captain Kid's World at SeaWorld from the late 80's. Of course a lot of the play structure was the same. What I loved the most was the huge map of the world (or just America) that had real water where the lakes and rivers were. There was also a hedge maze in the same area. I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time, thus my memory is not so great! If anyone has ANY pictures it would make my year if you could share!!

I have one very blurry and dark picture of a part of the map, but you can barely make anything out. I have searched the Internet for pictures or info about the map and maze and can't find anything!!

• Ravenclaw

Re: SeaWorld late 1980s

That was back in the Harcourt Brace-Jovanovich era. I remember the U.S. map plaza. It was near where the Hospitality Center was, then used as a retail store for HBJ textbooks and school supplies...I remember getting in trouble for splashing around in the Great Lakes.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

StockphotoPro: Images for PATTERNS > Huge US map Sea world San Diego California USA S Grandadam

Name:  A29F87.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  81.4 KB

Heres a pic I found online, surprised I couldnt find more.. I think the circle of flags is all thats left of that area and attraction. the rest was turned into horse stables for the budweiser Clydsedales

• Roller coaster enthusiast

I found a park map and brochure from 1980 of SeaWorld Orlando which was called Sea World Florida back then. It's amazing how that park has really changed over the years, just look at how long the shows were back then. SeaWorld of Orlando - 1980 Park Guide
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

AMAZING find!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   

I worked at Cap'n Kids World from 89 to 91. Some of the elements are still there. My first day of work I had to squeegee the map, in the rain. Um yeah, squeegee in the rain = SMART!

Quote Originally Posted by sunwugong81 View Post
    StockphotoPro: Images for PATTERNS > Huge US map Sea world San Diego California USA S Grandadam

Name:  A29F87.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  81.4 KB

Heres a pic I found online, surprised I couldnt find more.. I think the circle of flags is all thats left of that area and attraction. the rest was turned into horse stables for the budweiser Clydsedales
    Thank you soooo much! It's not what I remember it looking like, but my memory is also from when I was 4 years old. This is awesome though!

Now I just want to find a picture of the hedge maze. I remember there being a balcony or walkway above the maze that my parents would stand one while we all ran around the maze. Again, I was 4 so this memory might be super off.

thanks again!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Found this vintage SeaWorld stuff

Attached Images Attached Images  

Whoa, this is from the 1960's before the Skytower and the Skyride were installed. The only ride was the hydrofoil, and it was before the killer whale shows came into being.

• Co-Host of USWP

Wow great find Eric! Super interesting.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Great find Eric! It's really amazing what you can find on the Internet.

•   

It's great to see pics of that map of America, but even better to see that 60's park map. ( I used to love walking on that big, foam squishy thing and miss it very much. ) As for that 60's map, that predates any of my visits there. I had no idea the original location of the Japanese village was over in the east by where the penguins now are. Shamu used to be in what is now the dolphin show, neither of which are present in this incarnation. I do recall that Starkist underwater mermaid show and the hydrofoils by the Hawaiian Punch village. Thanks for posting Eric.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

I miss the old Sea World without the roller coasters and rides. For me it was always visiting the animals and watching the shows.
    As a kid I remember Captain Kidd's play area well. I was five and jumped into a ballpit and could not get out! The balls were up to my neck and I couldn't move around. I had to be pulled out.
    I also remember a boat ride around Mission Bay. I think I only did that once and I think it was just a motorboat. I don't remember it being a hydrofoil boat.
    I thought the Japanese Village used to be where Manta now is. I say this because the Manta Touch Pool had some Japanese tile work on a wall and it was rather old. The gift shop in that area also had a wide selection of pearls including the harvest your own variety.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Here is a Vintage SeaWorld San Diego Dine with Shamu photo!

This is a vintage shot from SeaWorld Orlando before they built Shamu Stadium. Back then they had the Orcas in the facility where the Dolphins are now.

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    I miss the old Sea World without the roller coasters and rides. For me it was always visiting the animals and watching the shows.
    As a kid I remember Captain Kidd's play area well. I was five and jumped into a ballpit and could not get out! The balls were up to my neck and I couldn't move around. I had to be pulled out.
    I also remember a boat ride around Mission Bay. I think I only did that once and I think it was just a motorboat. I don't remember it being a hydrofoil boat.
    I thought the Japanese Village used to be where Manta now is. I say this because the Manta Touch Pool had some Japanese tile work on a wall and it was rather old. The gift shop in that area also had a wide selection of pearls including the harvest your own variety.
    Haha I remember that ball pit as well! That thing was huge when you were little.
    I don't remember the boat around Mission Bay though.

does anyone else remember the really nice restaurant that was on the other side of the Sky Ride? That was when you could go to the restaurant from outside of SeaWorld and pay a small fee just to ride the Sky Ride

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast