Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Why I'll never go to Sea World again.

Eric, thanks for your post and the link to the AZA Accredited Zoo's. I find it interesting that Busch Gardens Williamsburg isn't on that list. But they don't have too many animals anymore.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

While I don't doubt that some of those claims are valid people must read the article without any preconceived ideas. I do have to question the "rattling roller coaster next door". Manta at SWO is very quiet as it is still fairly new and has its supports and track beams filled with sand and gravel. Otherwise, it would sound like Kumba at BGT which is made by the same company and is incredibly loud.

• New Member Goes Forth

Interesting, but I am glad Sea World are on the list
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I am too. It takes a lot of work to be an AZA facility.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Sorry for the cherry-picking, but I did say how to find other websites by simply Googling "orca lifespan". Try this site: www.orcahome.de/lifeexpectancy.htm This shows that on average, killer whales live only about fifteen years in captivity and that 2/3 of 158 orcas in captivity that died lived no more than ten years.
    Also, consider that the data on this site does not say where they got these numbers from. Does this include whales illegally caught and thrown into horrible conditions? I have a feeling that whales in Sea World have a longer lifespan than whales at other institutions who are not accredited.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I 100% agree with you Kelly!

• former CM

Today I saw "Blackfish," a documentary about orcas at SeaWorld. I recommend this film, as do many critics:
    Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,6263962.story

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-04-2013 at 07:11 AM.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

This film is playing locally in the Orlando area at the Enzian theater. It's a well known, independently owned dinner theater in Maitland that plays independent films. Unfortunately it'll be gone by the time I get back home in late August.

This film wouldn't change my views of SeaWorld even if I did see it as the reviews I've seen have stated that there is a very obvious bias against aquatic zoos like SeaWorld. Did the film document the incredible job it does with its rescue, rehabilitation, and rerelease?

I've also been told that a video was shown on CNN recently of a whale that appeared to be stranded and struggling to get back into the water with trainers nearby. What was not told during that report was that they're teaching the baby how to do that behavior, not for a show, but as part of the veterinarian's examination for things like weighing, collecting a urin sample, and other things. CNN led their viewers to believe that SeaWorld was mistreating their animals without doing their proper journalistic research.

Here's another question I have. Did any animal rights groups have a hand in the production of this film? I know that groups like PETA have long been opposed to zoos of any kind long before the death of Trainer Dawn Brancheau at SWO.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    . . . This film wouldn't change my views of SeaWorld even if I did see it as the reviews I've seen have stated that there is a very obvious bias against aquatic zoos like SeaWorld. . .
    See it. Read all the reviews of it on Metacritic.com. (Link in my post above.) See & read more from potentially challenging sources to make yourself an even more formidable opponent of what you're criticizing. Dawn was far from alone. See it. The Metacritic score is 83. Not bad.

Don't be like this guy in the Onion:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/man...ow-abou,17990/
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-23-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    This film is playing locally in the Orlando area at the Enzian theater. It's a well known, independently owned dinner theater in Maitland that plays independent films. Unfortunately it'll be gone by the time I get back home in late August.

This film wouldn't change my views of SeaWorld even if I did see it as the reviews I've seen have stated that there is a very obvious bias against aquatic zoos like SeaWorld. Did the film document the incredible job it does with its rescue, rehabilitation, and rerelease?

I've also been told that a video was shown on CNN recently of a whale that appeared to be stranded and struggling to get back into the water with trainers nearby. What was not told during that report was that they're teaching the baby how to do that behavior, not for a show, but as part of the veterinarian's examination for things like weighing, collecting a urin sample, and other things. CNN led their viewers to believe that SeaWorld was mistreating their animals without doing their proper journalistic research.

Here's another question I have. Did any animal rights groups have a hand in the production of this film? I know that groups like PETA have long been opposed to zoos of any kind long before the death of Trainer Dawn Brancheau at SWO.
    I saw that video of the Pilot Whale too on my local news and was bothered that only one side of the story was told (I just felt something was missing out of that report). If the whale was truly in trouble, then the trainers would have reacted. It's too bad that a trainer or another Sea World worker didn't try to explain to the guests what was really going on before this video went viral.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    I saw that video of the Pilot Whale too on my local news and was bothered that only one side of the story was told (I just felt something was missing out of that report). If the whale was truly in trouble, then the trainers would have reacted. It's too bad that a trainer or another Sea World worker didn't try to explain to the guests what was really going on before this video went viral.
    They did explain it to the guests. That was cut out of the video that went viral.

I am going to have to try and see if the film is playing locally here. I have always been fine with Sea World's rescue and rehabilitation programs which are great, but they are no way in my opinion related to keeping Orca's and other large marine mammals in captivity simply to have them perform tricks to entertain people.

I am not for releasing the captives into the wild, but the time has passed and we know its not appropriate to keep these animals on small pools performing tricks for food, and as such its time for politicians to step in and ban captive breeding and importation of these animals, as the current stock dies off simply no replacements.

Other aquariums and aqua-zoo's have given up killer whales and are just as successful today as ever. Vancouver Aquarium being one of them, and the next goal here is to have the Belugas removed at some point as well as dolphins.

If a small non-profit aquarium can do it, a multi-million dollar (or is it billion?) corporation can do the same and survive.

• former CM

^^Jsmith, thank you for that post! I went into "Blackfish" enthusiastic about taking my daughter to SeaWorld. The documentary includes thrilling footage of trainers swimming with orcas, showing how Sea World parks have captured imaginations and have probably inspired some people to oppose whaling.

There is a scene in "Blackfish" about an orca mom crying hard and long when separated from her calf.
    They aren't like dogs that way, and in the wild they stick with their moms even when they're adults, though the males can be kept to the perimeter of the family.
    I've been to the Orlando park twice and the San Diego park at least three times, but the last time I went was over 11 years ago, and now we won't return till they change. I want SeaWorld to become more like theme parks with an ocean theme and with more rides like Manta.

Maybe Sea World could create a cool, 3D Imax killer whale show with giant, audio-animatronic killer whales that make the whole theater a splash area. (There could be a dry area.) It could include a history of SeaWorld orca shows and show killer whales around the world.

I'm kind of full of it because I'm an omnivore, but then again so are many of the animals I love.
    And now I get really. . .
    I just read "Kosher Chinese" about a peace corp volunteer in central China. He got there and was horrified by the surprisingly (to me at least) widespread eating of dogs. Once he tried to stop a man on a bus from repeatedly punching a bag of live puppies, and I applaud him for trying to rescue them. But he pointed out that he was on his way to a KFC at the time, and by the end of the book he had become more "open-minded" about dog eating.

Anyway, I hope that all nations become wealthier and more peaceful so that we we're better able to protect animals. No bullfighting & no dog or cat eating. (I think we owe dogs and cats because they trust us and--in the case of dogs--may have even evolved to complement us--eg. sense of smell.) I hope for bigger & safer natural habitats for apes, tigers and elephants.

It wouldn't bother me if, when I'm older, vegetarianism was the norm--though the "Meat kills!" approach will not be as effective as, "Try this. It's tastier, healthier, and less expensive."
    Veggie cooks have a long way to go in making veggie bratwurst as tasty as the real thing. Still, real Food Daily in Santa Monica & in Pasadena; and Angelica Kitchen and Candle 79 in NYC are all on to something. Loving Hut is hit or miss depending on the franchisees, but someone is going to get rich off of a chain of consistently delicious and affordable, fast food veggie restaurants. A veggie, Chipotle-quality chain.

RIP Madeleine Bistro in Tarzana.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-05-2013 at 11:03 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

There is a scene in "Blackfish" about an orca mom crying hard and long when separated from her calf.
    They aren't like dogs that way, and in the wild they stick with their moms even when they're adults, though the males can be kept to the perimeter of the family.
    I've been to the Orlando park twice and the San Diego park at least three times, but the last time I went was over 11 years ago, and now we won't return till they change. I want SeaWorld to become more like theme parks with an ocean theme and with more rides like Manta.

These are some of the scenes in BlackFish that I take issue with as they leave out the actual context for what SeaWorld was doing at the time.

And while Sam Berg tells that heart breaking story about the still born calf, and there are many stories that really pull the heart strings and can be heart breaking, sometimes when you are in charge of the care, and management of large animals you have to make some really tough choices, where either outcome is less than desirable but required.

The other thing to remember in BlackFish is that the science of captive Marine animals has progressed A LOT in the 50 years that SeaWorld has been caring for Orcas in captivity. And it is easy to go back in time, and look and point out all the mistakes and say "everything is wrong"

But instead, I choose to look at how much SeaWorld has accomplished, and look at how they have worked to improve the quality of life for all the animals in their care. Corky II is 46 right now. That is longer than any orca in captivity before, and I hope Corky II goes to live until she is in her 60s or older

• former CM

Corky might swim 100 miles today if she weren't incarcerated in her little tub at SeaWorld.

"Blackfish" made me even more concerned for the people killed by orcas in captivity than it did for the killer whales.
    Although I've been annoyed with some of OSHA's decrees at Disneyland (perhaps inspired by Pressler's putting profits before safety), I like OSHA's attempt to not have trainers swim with orcas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast