Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Why I'll never go to Sea World again.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Corky might swim 100 miles today if she weren't incarcerated in her little tub at SeaWorld.

"Blackfish" made me even more concerned for the people killed by orcas in captivity than it did for the killer whales.
    Although I've been annoyed with some of OSHA's decrees at Disneyland (perhaps inspired by Pressler's putting profits before safety), I like OSHA's attempt to not have trainers swim with orcas.
    Tilikum accidents:
    1984 - Tilikum is captured
    7 YEARS later
    1991 - kills trainer who slips into pool (tilikum at this time had never had people in his water before)
    9 YEARS later
    1999 - Man slips into Tilikums tank and drowns, Tilikum plays with body all night
    11 YEARS later
    2010 - Dawn dies when she is pulled into the tank by Tilikum

In between ALL of these incidents are YEARS of interaction, with Tilikum by trainers. Every morning, afternoon and evening.

Every animal has good and bad days. Tilikum for how "psychotic" BlackFish claims he is, over all hasn't been in a lot of accidents.

By comparison over the past 11 years Tilikum has killed less people than Mission:Space at Epcot.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Ravenclaw

Corky might swim 100 miles today if she weren't incarcerated in her little tub at SeaWorld.

"Blackfish" made me even more concerned for the people killed by orcas in captivity than it did for the killer whales.
    Although I've been annoyed with some of OSHA's decrees at Disneyland (perhaps inspired by Pressler's putting profits before safety), I like OSHA's attempt to not have trainers swim with orcas.
    You don't like OSHA decreeing that handrails be placed, interfering with the visual sightline of a building, yet you commend their recommendation that the trainers not swim with the whales. Water work is one of the reasons that the whales and trainers have such a good rapport; and one of the best visual components of the show. Which is it you prefer, show or safety?
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

I don't understand this argument. Is it meant to be an argument? Yes, corky might swim 100 miles but why would you think that would be something she would want to do? Corky is old. She is unlikely to be alive in the wild at her age. It is ignorant to assume that these animals want to swim great distances and live the wild life. Animals generally choose the least possible energy expenditure for the most gain. If a killer whale is swimming a hundred miles in a day, it is probably because they are searching for food, which as we all know, is depleting in the ocean. Lack of food sources in the ocean is the reason we are seeing new sub species of orcas who are traveling great distances and finding new types of food, like other dolphins(not natural). Killer whales don't swim hundreds of miles for fun. It drives me nuts that people think the ocean is this blissful place. Sea World looks pretty good when you look at animals in the ocean and how rough they actually have it.

• former CM

Pixar is changing the ending of "Finding Dory" because of "Blackfish": Hicks: Pixar changing 'Finding Dory' script after execs see orca film - San Jose Mercury News

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    . . . It is ignorant to assume that these animals want to swim great distances and live the wild life. . .
    Can we give them water carts? Yes, how ignorant of me, Amber, to imagine that other species wouldn't prefer a more sedentary lifestyle actually living in a theme park.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-23-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Water carts?

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    I don't understand this argument. Is it meant to be an argument? Yes, corky might swim 100 miles but why would you think that would be something she would want to do? Corky is old. She is unlikely to be alive in the wild at her age. It is ignorant to assume that these animals want to swim great distances and live the wild life. Animals generally choose the least possible energy expenditure for the most gain. If a killer whale is swimming a hundred miles in a day, it is probably because they are searching for food, which as we all know, is depleting in the ocean. Lack of food sources in the ocean is the reason we are seeing new sub species of orcas who are traveling great distances and finding new types of food, like other dolphins(not natural). Killer whales don't swim hundreds of miles for fun. It drives me nuts that people think the ocean is this blissful place. Sea World looks pretty good when you look at animals in the ocean and how rough they actually have it.
    Would rather have your life now with freedom or a life locked in a prison with nowhere to go?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Would rather have your life now with freedom or a life locked in a prison with nowhere to go?
    Ok. I think that is quite a stretch for an analogy. I could just as easily say would you rather be set for the rest of your life with food, health care and all your needs met or be homeless and have to constantly look for your next meal? Oh yeah, and if you get sick or injured, you're on your own. Either way, its anthropomorphizing and not the most logical way to discuss this stuff.

Yes,I am agreed that there's a few zoos in Florida other than SWO, BGT, & DAK. Zoo Miami (aka Metro Dade Zoo), Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa.Thanks for sharing such an important stuff here.
    Do the hard part first

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Don't forget the Central Florida Zoo in Sanford and the Brevard Zoo over in the Space Coast. Those are all AZA accredited zoos along with SWO, DAK, and BGT.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123