Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Why I'll never go to Sea World again.

They lied to us about their orcas, they flat out lied to us. Sea World claims its killer whales live longer in captivity than they do in the wild but this is not so. At www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/cetaceans/killerwhale.htm it is revealed that that males can live as long as 50 - 60 years, and females can live as long as 80 - 90 years. (Google "orca lifespan" and you'll find many other sites about this subject.) Since Sea World has been in business for only fifty years, they cannot honestly claim they live in captivity longer than they do in the wild.

I'm no raving lunatic member of PETA or Sea Shepard, I'm just someone who doesn't like being lied to. I haven't been to DAK or to a zoo in ages, and I wonder if I should ever go back.

What's your opinion?
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Re: Why I'll never go to Sea World again.

They shouldn't lie, I agree. And SeaWorld has only been in operation for a few years, but other areas probably have had captive cetaceans for longer. And lack of predators would suggest that they could live longer in captivity.

I do know that zoos and SeaWorld contribute to knowledge of these beautiful animals that would otherwise be kept in labs and ocean institutes, and not get to the public. When someone goes to SeaWorld, and sees how beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful they are, they're more inclined to care about what we do to the planet.

Also, don't these places take animals that can't be let back into the wild? Injured, solitary, that kind of thing? They're social animals and will have difficulty if separated from their pod. Some find their way back, but others maybe wouldn't.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Actually SeaWorld San Diego has been open since 1964 and SeaWorld Orlando opened in 1973 but you are right they do contribute greatly to the knowledge of the animals they have in captivity and they freely share it with other zoos and aquariums. They even loan out their animals from time to time for breeding purposes. Unfortunately they were forced to take one of their Killer Whales back from Marineland near Niagara Falls in Ontario, Canada due to some questionable practices by the park up there. I do believe that the SeaWorld Parks are accredited by a nationally known zoos and aquariums group.

Very few of SeaWorlds Orcas, Dolphins, and other animals were caught from the wild. Tillikum, to the best of my knowledge, is the only wild caught Orca at SWO, all the rest were captive born. To release them wouldn't be great either, just look at the length of time and the millions of dollars that were spent rehabbing Willy only to find that he died a year after his release to a Orca Pod that adopted him. I heard that malnourishment was the leading contributor to his death.

Don't judge them too harshly and let's learn from the ones we have already in captivity.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Non-Profit Zoo's and aquariums get my money, but the for profit places don't. I dont feel there is a reason to keep animals in captivity in order to make a profit for a corporation, but the non-profits are a totally different ball park.

That said, I dont hate Sea World, and don't support releasing captive born animals into the wild, but I do support a cease of killer whale captive breeding programs.

You can't release wild caught orcas back into the wild randomly. A wild-caught orca has to go back to the exact pod they belonged to and even then, there is no guarantee of a successful re-introduction. Corky's (she is at Sea World San Diego and previously Marineland in Palos Verdes CA) pod is still around in the waters of Puget Sound, but she has been removed from the wild almost 30 years now. She may not be accepted back by the pod members.
    Keiko (Free Willy) had a similar problem. They did find the original pod, but he preferred the company of humans. Even after his release into the wild was complete, he loved to visit a small seaside town and tried to interact with the townspeople. Keiko's story is just sad and I wouldn't call his release successful.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

I do know that zoos and SeaWorld contribute to knowledge of these beautiful animals that would otherwise be kept in labs and ocean institutes, and not get to the public. When someone goes to SeaWorld, and sees how beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful they are, they're more inclined to care about what we do to the planet.

Also, don't these places take animals that can't be let back into the wild? Injured, solitary, that kind of thing? They're social animals and will have difficulty if separated from their pod. Some find their way back, but others maybe wouldn't.
    Well said. I think a lot of people's passions for wild animals start with a visit to a zoo. I know mine did.
    Sea World has an extensive marine rescue program. They have rescued hundreds of injured animals and lots were released back into the wild. About 10 years ago, Sea World San Diego rescued an orphaned blue whale calf and when she was a healthy size and weight, she was successfully released back into the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    About 10 years ago, Sea World San Diego rescued an orphaned blue whale calf and when she was a healthy size and weight, she was successfully released back into the ocean.

That is fantastic! Glad to know they are doing good for individual animals as well as for sea life as a whole.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    They lied to us about their orcas, they flat out lied to us. Sea World claims its killer whales live longer in captivity than they do in the wild but this is not so. At www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/cetaceans/killerwhale.htm it is revealed that that males can live as long as 50 - 60 years, and females can live as long as 80 - 90 years. (Google "orca lifespan" and you'll find many other sites about this subject.) Since Sea World has been in business for only fifty years, they cannot honestly claim they live in captivity longer than they do in the wild.

I'm no raving lunatic member of PETA or Sea Shepard, I'm just someone who doesn't like being lied to. I haven't been to DAK or to a zoo in ages, and I wonder if I should ever go back.

What's your opinion?

So you take this information COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTEXT

Exact Quote from the site

males typically live for about 30 years, but can live as long as 50-60 years;
    females typically live about 50 years,but can live as long as 80-90 years

Humans CAN also live as long as 120 year. But as a rule we don't.

SO NO. SeaWorld DID NOT LIE. You are simply cherry picking the information.

As a RULE Orcas live 50 - 60 years in the wild. This depends on a lot of factors most of which deal with their teeth and jaw, and their ability to capture their own food.

Further. SeaWorld has made INCREDIBLE scientific achievements when it comes to the mental and physical health of the Orcas in their charge.

SeaWorld IS AZA accredited. This is the same accreditation that the San Diego Zoo has, this is the same accreditation that the Monterrey Bay Aquarium has.

I understand the reasons why people are opposed to SeaWorld, I truly do, however I FIRMLY and STRONGLY believe that the very survival of whales species on this planet is dependent on humans being able to connect and emphasize with these incredible animals.

That once we self humans do connect with an animal we are far less likely to do anything that would harm it.

So AGAIN. SeaWorld did not lie. You simply are trying to say the exception is the rule. When it is not.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

•   
    • Banned User

Typically Sea World employees only live for 7 years of captivity. After that point they either move on and find another job or curl into the fetal position and slowly slip away.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

SeaWorld IS AZA accredited. This is the same accreditation that the San Diego Zoo has, this is the same accreditation that the Monterrey Bay Aquarium has.

I understand the reasons why people are opposed to SeaWorld, I truly do, however I FIRMLY and STRONGLY believe that the very survival of whales species on this planet is dependent on humans being able to connect and emphasize with these incredible animals.

That once we self humans do connect with an animal we are far less likely to do anything that would harm it.
    Eric, thank you for pointing that out. I was going to point out the same things.

Keeping any animal in captivity isn't optimal or really desirable in most cases, in my opinion. However, with that said, the reality about human beings is we don't protect what we don't love, and we don't love what we don't connect with. These animals are critical ambassadors to our species, letting us connect to them very personal ways and loving them, therefore, wanting to protect them and keep them from harm.

The one thing we need to do is keep to at least some kind of humane standard, and that is what AZA accreditation does. To be accredited by the AZA you have to meet very exacting standards (See the short version here AZA About Us and for the ambitious the full version of their standards can be seen Here.). Only about 10% of American zoo's and aquariums meet the exacting standards required for AZA accreditation. SeaWorld has been very careful in meeting AZA standards in order to keep their accreditation.

So let's love these animals, encourage SeaWorld to continue their great work in animal rescues and encourage them to keep their AZA accreditation and be a leader in the industry for other parks to emulate.

Does anyone know if Disney's Animal Kingdom or both Busch Gardens (Williamsburg & Tampa) are AZA accredited?
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    Does anyone know if Disney's Animal Kingdom or both Busch Gardens (Williamsburg & Tampa) are AZA accredited?

Currently Accredited Zoos and Aquariums - Association of Zoos and Aquariums

Disney's Animal Kingdom, Fla.
    Accredited through March 2015

SeaWorld Orlando, Fla.

SeaWorld San Antonio, Texas
    Accredited through September 2016

SeaWorld San Diego, Calif.

Busch Gardens (Tampa), Fla.
    Accredited through March 2016

I suggest that everyone reads what an institution has to go through to be accredited

http://www.aza.org/becoming-accredited/

Association of Zoos and Aquariums - Animal Care and Management
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

There's a few zoos in Florida other than SWO, BGT, & DAK. Zoo Miami (aka Metro Dade Zoo), Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, Brevard County Zoo, and surprisingly (atleast to me) the Central Florida Zoo in Sanford (north of Orlando). Gatorland Zoo isn't on that list. I've also been to the Dallas World Aquarium back in 2004 which is a really nice aquarium and within walking distance of the famous Dealy Plaza where JFK was assinated. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to the Lowry Park Zoo in the future.

Sorry for the cherry-picking, but I did say how to find other websites by simply Googling "orca lifespan". Try this site: www.orcahome.de/lifeexpectancy.htm This shows that on average, killer whales live only about fifteen years in captivity and that 2/3 of 158 orcas in captivity that died lived no more than ten years.

I agree that we shouldn't release into the wild whales that have lived their whole lives in captivity and I suppose that if they aren't capturing whales anymore, I can live with it.

Good debate, everyone.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Interesting article. Take it for what you will.

Why Is Sea World Allowing Its Killer Whales to Live in Squalor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast