Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

Surprising nobody, the SeaWorld full-page ad has been refuted by opposition. Good stuff.

I've said this before, but I do think that we're not adequately addressing the complexities of "freeing willy." Having said that, I do think they should be freed, and I think SeaWorld being defensive will only hurt them in the end.

• "I Break Things"

In the interest of transparency

Sea World's Letter
    SeaWorld's Letter: From our Zoological Team | SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment

Oceanic Preservation Society Letter
    http://www.opsociety.org/PressReleas...buttal-OPS.pdf

special thanks to Daily City for the appropriate links which were found here
    TheDailyCity.com: Sea World Open Letter from Oceanic Preservation Society

It frustrates me to no end that journalists will go on and on about material (letters photos etc) but never LINK to them. It's not that hard people. Amazing when a LOCAL website outshines the NATIONAL ones with something that simple.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Sea World took out the ads "now" for 3 specific reasons.

First and foremost park attendance. This is the holiday season when the parks should be crowded. They needed to send a message without mentioning Blackfish directly.

Second they needed to address the BBQ music cancellations. Those cancellations were the primary trigger for the ads. SeaWorld was quiet until a majority of those groups cancelled. At this point SeaWorld was forced into a response to preserve future profits.

Third they need to try and sway the judges in regards to the Academy Awards. The awards are televised and they drive interest in the winners. If Blackfish wins, and many expect it to, this could trigger another round of SeaWorld ads!

• former CM

Sea World should become "Animal World." I'd like an epic production: "Planet of the Dogs." There already is a Pet's Rule stadium.

Sea World should announce that the killer whales will be gone from all of their parks before 2020. They'll be like Pressler & Eisner's slowly leaving "Main Street Electrical Parade" and attract millions of visitors before then. And they'd have a lot of time to come up with amazing replacement shows and attractions. Remember Eisner after he was confronted with the growing shareholder revolt? "Yeah, I'll go. In a year and a half." Or something like that. Each whale released by Sea World could mean free PR. They could use CGI to show tears of the whales as they leave their beloved Mission Bay and Orlando tanks.

• "I Break Things"

Not sure if this comment belongs in here or not but PETA protested the Sea World float at the Rose Parade. The reason for the protest was Blackfish.

Girl, 12, Among Those Arrested In Sea World Protest At Rose Parade « CBS Los Angeles

Only three deaths? ONLY THREE DEATHS.

THREE

HUMANS

DIED.

Continuing the show as usual...waterwork as they call it, one death every ten years....to continue.....you are ok with that?

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I would suggest that everyone listen to Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast where go back in time long before Orcas were on public display.

...While this 12,000 lbs animal might be responsible for 3 Deaths over the 30+ years he has been in captivity.

If Tilikum was really a "CRAZED KILLER, who has been demented and tormented on his surroundings" he would kill a lot more often that once every 10 years.

Instead, what you are seeing is that after THOUSANDS of personal interactions with this animal, he unfortunately is still a WILD animal, and he is 12,000 pounds, so any error or accident with the animals behavior sadly can and has been fatal for those people.

But again. If he was INSANE. And Psychotic, the body count would be insanely higher, especially with the incredible amount of interaction that people have had with Tilikum over the past 30+ years.

So again. I applaud SeaWorld, and I am disgusted by a "documentary" that is a "psychological thriller"

No documentary should ever be a "thriller" if it is done without bias.
    and he's "unfortunately still a wild animal"

Don't you get it? Why is it UNFORTUNATE that he is a WILD ANIMAL?!

UNFORTUNATE FOR WHOM?

HE WAS, FRANKLY, BORN THAT WAY.

Saying it's unfortunate that he is wild seems like an inconvenience to the show.

I'm speaking as someone who LOVED the show (ok except for all the super sugary "believe" stuff which was extremely over the top)...but when you realize this puts the lives of humans in danger, should it go on? Should Sea World be about using animals (that are "unfortunately still wild") for our entertainment? Not to mention the stresses on the animal who's NOT there to educate us, but to entertain us through training. The training (although it shows the animal's intelligence) is really for one purpose, our entertainment. If it costs one life per ten years, that's worth it?
    Last edited by Mousing Around; 01-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.

• Ravenclaw

CAPITAL LETTERS MEANS I'M SERIOUS.

The trainers are not forced to do this for a living. Anyone who wants to be a trainer there, especially a killer whale trainer, goes through very very rigorous processes. It takes a lot of time to get to the level where a trainer can do waterwork. I know, I worked at SeaWorld San Diego for 9 years so I speak from personal experience. When you say that the whales are not there to educate anyone, it sounds like you're saying there is absolutely zero education happening at the park. You do realize that the shows are but a small percentage of any animal's day, don't you? The animals are also trained to do husbandry behaviors, behaviors that contribute directly to furthering the knowledge base of marine biologists world-wide. And remember this: Hundreds and hundreds of trainers have passed through SeaWorld's gates in the 50 years of the companies' history. I say this not to minimize the death of human beings, but to illustrate the ratio of risk to benefit in being a trainer. In the countless years of circus history, hundreds of human circus performers have been killed during shows. Should we, by your reasoning, end all circuses even if they have no animals in them? Researchers are beginning to see a correlation between concussions in professional football and permanent brain damage. Such brain damage has led to suicide and career-ending mental health issues. By your reasoning, as it is a risky endeavor, we should ban football.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It's sad that so many "animal activists" want to deny the opportunity for millions of children and adults the opportunity to see such these magnificent creatures in person and up close.

And quite frankly it's quite disingenuous to suggest that Sea World rid itself the creature that is most closely associated with SEA World,

Glad to see that CNN is finally getting criticized for involvement in something that completely distorts the truth.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 01-10-2014 at 11:51 PM.

• Ravenclaw

One of the trainers in the movie offered to give her story to CNN after seeing the film, saying she was lied to and manipulated. CNN balked since they have a vested interest in seeing the movie do well.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's sad that so many "animal activists" want to deny the opportunity for millions of children and adults the opportunity to see such these magnificent creatures in person and up close.
    The "animal activists" are people like me - a former trainer - who feel that the well-being of the animals far outweighs your desire to see these imprisoned animals "in person and up close." Your desire is what keeps these animals suffering. Open your heart to their plight. Do you honestly think the animals enjoy their situation? Do you think they delight in performing repetitious behaviors for food? Do you think they like living in a small cement pond? Open your heart and THINK!

The trainer in MiceChat's outrageous "Blackfish Exposed" article said if she were in charge of Sea World: "I would end animals for entertainment purposes, and stop the breeding program. WHY would she say that? What is so wrong with Sea World that would cause her to say that? THINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    One of the trainers in the movie offered to give her story to CNN after seeing the film, saying she was lied to and manipulated. CNN balked since they have a vested interest in seeing the movie do well.
    Her gripe was with the tone of the film and how it was explained to her before she did the interview. Nonetheless, her conclusion was the same as the makers of the film: "I would end animals for entertainment purposes, and stop the breeding program.”

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

I just recently watched the film and I do feel deeply for Tilikum because you could tell in the video (of him and Dawn) that he was aggravated!
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

And quite frankly it's quite disingenuous to suggest that Sea World rid itself the creature that is most closely associated with SEA World,

Glad to see that CNN is finally getting criticized for involvement in something that completely distorts the truth.
    I am not an animal activist. I study animal "cognition"/behavioral neuroscience using animal models. My lab had some problems a few years back with real animal activists who would show up dressed as the police and threaten violence (yeah, seriously). So please don't confuse me with a PETA sympathizer.

If you would actually listen to the opposition, Aladdin, you would find that they offer alternatives. No one wants to rob kids of viewing these wonderful animals.

The makers of Blackfish propose the creation of sea pens in bays, where children of all ages can view them in a more natural environment. It would be more like a zoo than a circus, in that they wouldn't be "forced/pressured" to do tricks using a food-based positive reinforcement system. The whales themselves would have a larger, deeper, open-air space, 24/7.

Another leading researcher, Dr. Diana Reiss (who I believe I mentioned previously), proposes in her book The Dolphin in the Mirror, that Sea World end its breeding program but perform more animal rescues throughout the world (and not just sea turtles, but large sea mammals). The animals' rescue, rehabilitation, and release would be the show, not tricks for food.

Speaking of kids, here is what some parents have to say about taking their kids to Sea World:

'Blackfish' sparks debate over taking kids to SeaWorld, zoos - CNN.com

Don't worry. It provides both sides of the argument, from parents wanting their kids to see nature up close, to parents not wanting their kids to see that we keep them in small tanks and make them do tricks.

I think it's an interesting read, and shows that it's not just "animal activists," but normal people, including parents, who are uncomfortable with what Sea World does.

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I am not an animal activist. I study animal "cognition"/behavioral neuroscience using animal models. My lab had some problems a few years back with real animal activists who would show up dressed as the police and threaten violence (yeah, seriously). So please don't confuse me with a PETA sympathizer.

If you would actually listen to the opposition, Aladdin, you would find that they offer alternatives. No one wants to rob kids of viewing these wonderful animals.

The makers of Blackfish propose the creation of sea pens in bays, where children of all ages can view them in a more natural environment. It would be more like a zoo than a circus, in that they wouldn't be "forced/pressured" to do tricks using a food-based positive reinforcement system. The whales themselves would have a larger, deeper, open-air space, 24/7.

Another leading researcher, Dr. Diana Reiss (who I believe I mentioned previously), proposes in her book The Dolphin in the Mirror, that Sea World end its breeding program but perform more animal rescues throughout the world (and not just sea turtles, but large sea mammals). The animals' rescue, rehabilitation, and release would be the show, not tricks for food.
    Very well said. Thank you! (The Sea-World-defenders' assertion that the folks who are against keeping the status quo for captive cetaceans are PETA-style "activists" is obviously absurd.)

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast