Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 272
  1. #1

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,017

    Thumbs up See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Here's a Metacritic link to reviews of a documentary I saw today, "Blackfish," about orcas at SeaWorld:

    Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

    While sea parks can create empathy for animals and inspire kids to learn more, I will probably not go to SeaWorld again after having seen this film.

    Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,6263962.story
    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-03-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: To add "again" since I've been to the SD&Orlando parks

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

    While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

    I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  3. #3

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,017

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

    While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

    I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
    Eric, did you see "Blackfish"?

  4. #4

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,017

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Last edited by jcruise86; 08-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.

  5. #5

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    18

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Here's a Metacritic link to reviews of a documentary I saw today, "Blackfish," about orcas at SeaWorld:

    Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

    While sea parks can create empathy for animals and inspire kids to learn more, I will probably not go to SeaWorld again after having seen this film.

    Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": End the killer whale circus - latimes.com
    Just wondering, what specifically about the film causes you to not want to go to Sea World again?
    Havent seen it yet.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hollywood East, CA
    Posts
    450

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Here's a Metacritic link to reviews of a documentary I saw today, "Blackfish," about orcas at SeaWorld:

    Blackfish Reviews - Metacritic

    While sea parks can create empathy for animals and inspire kids to learn more, I will probably not go to SeaWorld again after having seen this film.

    Here's an L.A. Times editorial inspired by "Blackfish": End the killer whale circus - latimes.com
    Amen to this statement.

  7. #7

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Note that the film does not provide the dates of their employment, so we cannot evaluate their claims against the state of Sea World's policies at a particular time, and how those policies might have changed. However, the precise problem is that we are not dealing with creatures whose instincts override all other considerations. Whales have memory, personality, creativity ... what philosophers would call subjectivity. But this complexity means that in terms of human intervention in their lives, we cannot simply turn back the clock. We are in this. Sea World can and should do more. (Tilikum, for example, should have a large retirement tank. He is no doubt in shows again not because the company is callous but because they have nothing else to do with him.) But closing Sea World, whose overall record for animal care is exemplary, will accomplish little. Blackfish is a deeply frustrating documentary precisely because it addresses a compound tragedy — trainer deaths, whales in crisis, a dark history and an uncertain future — and poses only pat, comforting answers. I think the film uses impractical and cold "serial killer" psychology to describe Tilikum, which is totally unnecessary and only for dramatic effect.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    374

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    I found "Blackfish" terrific, absolutely spellbinding. Exprmnt626 and I must have seen different movies, because the one I saw certainly didn't describe Tilikum as a "serial killer," and it absolutely gave SeaWorld every chance to participate, to lend its voice and to show filmmakers where they were wrong. Time magazine has a very good perspective on the film in last week's issue.

    For theme park fans, "Blackfish" IS very troubling. You will be left feeling deeply conflicted (at the very least) about going to SeaWorld again, and a lot of the "magic" of theme parks will be erased for you.

    But it is an incredibly worthy film.

  9. #9

    • Ravenclaw
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    793

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    "I've been expecting somebody to get killed by Tilikum"
    "It didn't just happen; it's not a singular event. You have to go back in time to understand this."
    "We would store them in what we called night boxes. It probably led to what I think of as a psychosis"
    "All whales in captivity are all psychologically traumatized."


    you were saying?
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    748

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    Note that the film does not provide the dates of their employment, so we cannot evaluate their claims against the state of Sea World's policies at a particular time, and how those policies might have changed. However, the precise problem is that we are not dealing with creatures whose instincts override all other considerations. Whales have memory, personality, creativity ... what philosophers would call subjectivity. But this complexity means that in terms of human intervention in their lives, we cannot simply turn back the clock. We are in this. Sea World can and should do more. (Tilikum, for example, should have a large retirement tank. He is no doubt in shows again not because the company is callous but because they have nothing else to do with him.) But closing Sea World, whose overall record for animal care is exemplary, will accomplish little. Blackfish is a deeply frustrating documentary precisely because it addresses a compound tragedy — trainer deaths, whales in crisis, a dark history and an uncertain future — and poses only pat, comforting answers. I think the film uses impractical and cold "serial killer" psychology to describe Tilikum, which is totally unnecessary and only for dramatic effect.
    No reason to close Sea World, but no reason to keep breeding them in captivity, keeps the ones currently, just no more breeding, once the current population has passed away, no more whales.

    Gives Sea Word time to redevelop itself into a park without whales, if they did it right, people would continue to go.

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    I would suggest that everyone listen to Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast where go back in time long before Orcas were on public display.

    MiceChat - Features, Orlando Parkhopper, Podcasts, The Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast - The Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast takes on BlackFish and goes behind the scenes at Antarctica

    direct download link http://bit.ly/1cpZaUW

    Our love for Orca's did not happen over night. They were feared and hunted, and killed as animals who interfered with fishing.

    SeaWorld has done an incredible job creating awareness, sympathy and love for the entire species.

    Looking specifically at the animals in SeaWorld's care...

    Tilikum the whale that the movie spotlights...

    Was Caught by a Canadian theme park.

    Was kept by a Canadian theme park.

    AFTER a tragic accident... SeaWorld buys Tilikum and in essence rescues him.

    SeaWorld improves his quality of life.

    SeaWorld improves his diet.

    SeaWorld improves his habitat.

    SeaWorld rescued Tilikum and improved his life.

    While this 12,000 lbs animal might be responsible for 3 Deaths over the 30+ years he has been in captivity.

    If Tilikum was really a "CRAZED KILLER, who has been demented and tormented on his surroundings" he would kill a lot more often that once every 10 years.

    Instead, what you are seeing is that after THOUSANDS of personal interactions with this animal, he unfortunately is still a WILD animal, and he is 12,000 pounds, so any error or accident with the animals behavior sadly can and has been fatal for those people.

    But again. If he was INSANE. And Psychotic, the body count would be insanely higher, especially with the incredible amount of interaction that people have had with Tilikum over the past 30+ years.

    So again. I applaud SeaWorld, and I am disgusted by a "documentary" that is a "psychological thriller"

    No documentary should ever be a "thriller" if it is done without bias.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  12. #12

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,017

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Pixar is changing the ending of "Finding Dory" because of "Blackfish":

    Hicks: Pixar changing 'Finding Dory' script after execs see orca film - San Jose Mercury News

  13. #13

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,017

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I found "Blackfish" terrific, absolutely spellbinding. Exprmnt626 and I must have seen different movies, because the one I saw certainly didn't describe Tilikum as a "serial killer," and it absolutely gave SeaWorld every chance to participate, to lend its voice and to show filmmakers where they were wrong. Time magazine has a very good perspective on the film in last week's issue.

    For theme park fans, "Blackfish" IS very troubling. You will be left feeling deeply conflicted (at the very least) about going to SeaWorld again, and a lot of the "magic" of theme parks will be erased for you.

    But it is an incredibly worthy film.
    Good post, EC82. Apparently Pixar was moved by it too.

  14. #14

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,943
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I will simply say I disagree, and that factually BlackFish is on very shaky ground. We are putting out Episode 9 of the Unofficial SeaWorld Podcast tonight that will be handling our coverage of BlackFish along with factual errors, omissions, and untruths.

    While I understand the concern, and how people want to help the Orcas, they miss the bigger issue of protecting our Oceans long term.

    I will let our podcast episode do most of the talking once I am done editing it.
    While I have not seen the film.....I still don't like the idea of putting Big Animals in big pools and forcing them to do tricks. They are really smart animals and while I know the people there want to help the animals...I'd just wish we could cut the shows and let the whales swim in a huge fake ocean in stead doing as they please

  15. #15

    • Co-Host of USWP
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    165

    Re: See "Blackfish" before going to SeaWorld

    This is the one and only statement I will make on this subject. I will not respond further to this because I feel everything I've needed to say can be found in our podcast on this subject.

    While I agree that animals in captivity as a general rule is not desirable or probably the best thing for them, I recognize that human beings are quickly poisoning our world, killing off entire species and destroying their habitat.

    Our oceans are dying.

    Many aquatic species, such as river dolphins, are either extinct or quickly will be.

    SeaWorld is one of the best organizations out there to bring awareness to people what magnificent and wonderful creatures are present in our oceans, and makes people feel compassionate towards them. SeaWorld has also rescued thousands of marine creatures, returning them to the wild, and continues to do so. For these reasons alone, I support SeaWorld and will continue to do so.

    Until someone comes up with a plan to help people connect with marine life on a massive and incredibly emotional scale such as SeaWorld does, (other than the ridiculous responses I've seen so far such as, "watch youtube videos" or "take everyone on whale tours"...can you imagine taking all six billion + of this planets citizens on whale watching tours? Yeah, neither can I) I cannot condone or even understand the vicious attacks that are done on this organization. I have seen again and again people villainizing SeaWorld because it is a 'for profit' entity. This is silly, saying that just because an organization makes a profit its intentions must be nefarious, just as silly as assuming because something is non-profit makes that organization benevolent.

    I judge anyone and anything by the sum total of its actions. Not by individual acts or isolated incidents.

    SeaWorld has proven over and over it has the best of intentions in what it does and wants to do for animals, our oceans and our planet. This is what I judge SeaWorld by.

    Thank you for your attention.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 05:33 AM
  2. [Question] going to seaworld. what shoild i do?
    By lovedisney33 in forum SeaWorld California
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
  3. [Question] going to seaworld. what shoild i do?
    By lovedisney33 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 04:21 AM
  5. Anyone Going to See Herbie?
    By Am_I_Demon in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •