Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Bill may ban SeaWorld San Diego from using Orcas

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - A California lawmaker is proposing a bill that would mean the end of the road for SeaWorld San Diego's famed Shamu show.
    Democratic state assembly member Richard Bloom of Santa Monica says he felt compelled to draft this legislation after seeing the controversial documentary "Blackfish," which calls into question the safety of SeaWorld's trainers and its treatment of its killer whales.
    This bill would effectively end all performances by killer whales at California entertainment parks, which of course applies only to SeaWorld in San Diego.
    It would also ban captive breeding programs involving orcas and also prohibit importing and exporting orcas.
    As for those orcas which are already kept at SeaWorld, the legislation would require the park to essentially "retire" those killer whales, which would then be put on display for the public to view. However, they would not be allowed to perform.
    As for SeaWorld, which has repeatedly blasted the documentary "Blackfish" as propaganda, they have made no public comment on this proposed legislation.
    Democratic assembly member Lorena Gonzales of San Diego has already gone on the record, via social media, that she will most likely vote 'yes' on this bill.
    Gonzalez has posted on Facebook, "SeaWorld's reputation of treating its workers poorly dates back to its opening 50 years ago. It's about time we continue this conversation about job quality and workplace safety at Sea World whether it involves groundskeepers, concessions workers or killer whale trainers. Recent evidence suggests its record with orcas isn't much better. I'm looking forward to having an honest conversation about Sea World's business practices and how they can really be an icon that makes San Diego proud."
    While this bill needs only a simple majority to pass, realistically it could face an uphill battle in gaining passage. No hearing date for this legislation has been scheduled yet.

Source: Bill may ban SeaWorld San Diego from using orcas - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

There is a video at the source site.

In short Sea World would not be able to use Orcas for shows nor could they import or export them from Ca.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Re: Bill may ban SeaWorld San Diego from using Orcas

I personally hope the law can pass, there is no need for Orca's to be in captivity.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I personally hope the law can pass, there is no need for Orca's to be in captivity.
    agreed

• Under that tree again!

This compels me to keep in mind politicians are ignorant.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

This law sounds like someone watched Black Fish and then said we should right a bill to ban said actions in documentary without realizing that most of this happened at Orlando or 80% of the documentary was faked. I do agree that those animals need larger habitas but lawmakers do not need to spend time writing a bill about one theme park when there are larger "fish to fry" here in CA.
    Last edited by brianpinsky; 03-10-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The bill seems reasonable to me, and will eventually bring a close to captive Orca's in California, its a start. Ideally I'd like it on a national level, but doubtful the feds have any interest in doing so.

I don't have an issue of animals being in captivity when a reasonable enclosure can be built and mimic their natural environment and allow for natural behaviors, this is not possible with Orca's, and there is no actual reasonable reason I an see as to why Orca's should continue to be kept in captivity.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    This law sounds like someone watched Black Fish and then said we should right a bill to ban said actions in documentary without realizing that most of this happened at Orlando or 80% of the documentary was faked. I do agree that those animals need larger habitas but lawmakers do not need to spend time righting a bill about one theme park when there are larger "fish to fry" here in CA.
    I Agread !........this state way out of control !!!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Sounds like that politician is doing this to garner some attention, votes, and campaign contributions.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    I Agread !........this state way out of control !!!
    It's actually one of the most decent pieces of legislation I've seen a politician come up with.

•   
    • Fresno Follies

Blog Entries

Let's not change the topic to the fringe critiques of a movie... simply stated ... a smart and socially advanced creature should not be imprisoned in tiny tanks for the amusement of humans. Rome no longer forces humans to fight one another to the death. Bull fighting in Catelonia/Spain is now banned. It is time to stop humans from manually masturbating orcas to keep a population of show whales from growing.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    It's actually one of the most decent pieces of legislation I've seen a politician come up with.
    That's, like, just your personal opinion, man.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Please lets remember that this forum is not staging your political views about commenting on the news coming out of, in this case, Sea World San Diego.

• I'm from Canada eh!

People need to understand that documentary movies are often one sided and while they feel like a news programs there is often a hidden (or not so hidden) agenda. While there could be some truth to Blackfish there has been a lot of questions raised about the validity of the info presented. If a law can be proposed based on the highly sensationalized nature of documentary style journalism what would be next?
    I’m not saying that Orca’s should be held in captivity and forced to perform, I’m just suggesting that the Law makers need to ensure a fair, two sided approach to looking at this issue and not just use a movie to amend your civil policies.
    Last edited by Meville; 03-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.

•   
    • Fresno Follies

Blog Entries

Look at Blackfish as the rebirth of the movement to end the perversion of Orca captivity. Whether there can be criticism of the assertions of the movie serves only Seaworld in their effort to distract the population from the underlying problem: (1) the death of Dawn Branchau, a Orca Trainer; and (2) the captivity of an intelligent animal for circus performances. The bill addresses both these problems.

Blackfish serves only to bring to the forefront a discussion of the dangers to human trainers working with an intelligent species held captive.
    Last edited by kjorgensen43; 03-12-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by kjorgensen43 View Post
    Look at Blackfish as the rebirth of the movement to end the perverson of Orca captivity. Whether their can be criticism of the assertions of the movie serves only Seaworld in their effort to distract the population from the underlying problem: (1) the death of Dawn Branchau, a Orca Trainer; and (2) the captivity of an intelligent animal for circus performances. The bill addresses both these problems.

Blackfish serves only to bring to the forefront a discussion of the dangers to human trainers working with an intelligent species held captive.
    Point taken, however when the general population views a documentary like Blackfish as "truth" their initial reaction would be calls for sweeping reform and change. The initial opinion is formed by the movies sensational tactics and once that 'message' is out there it takes a lot of information to the contrary to sway an individual’s opinion back to a neutral view. The issue is compounded by our society of "all news all the time" and pseudo news stories that live on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter.

For example, an article Headline on the Huffington post could read: Movie Blackfish prompts call for change at amusement park. As with most media outlets the Huffington post requires you to click further to see the entire article, but what if I simply read the title and movie on with my day? Without further clarification I may assume that, even without seeing the movie, without working at SeaWorld, or even if even without ever stepping though the gates at SeaWorld that that Orcas are being mistreated. Is this the truth? It’s hard to say, but I can say that people are often forming their opinions based on information gathered like this and it can have a very bad effect on a democratic system that is made up of a system of popular opinion.

It is still unfortunate that Ms Branchau was killed and I’m sure there is an argument that SeaWorld is making millions exploiting these animals, but I’m not so sure that this legislation is the answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast