Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

After Shanghaî, what other destinations for future Disney theme parks?

Recent developments last friday seems to announce a brighter future for Hong Kong Disneyland, but after China and Shanghaî, what are Disney's other locations projects for the future?

Would it be in India? Or somewhere else? Should Disney be cautious to avoid any cultural shock? More about this and revelations in the "A Disney theme park in India ?" article here:

Disney and more: A Disney theme park in India ?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: After Shanghaî, what other destinations for future Disney theme parks?

Oh no, please no. I would say not to go even with Shanghai DL. Keep the current Disneys, one more is too many! But seriously, a Disney in India?

Disney in india?....well good luck!....lol
    my heart is yours

OMG!!!! I cant believe having a disneyland in India! this is horrible.
    I was shocked when they tell for a disneyland in shanghai. now in India whats next?
    Lets say dubai after in dubai maybe they will think to have disneyland in africa!
    hahah . LOL...

Disneyland parks will soon then conquer the top ranking. heheh.

But really?. In India. no way.

• Pilot EdForceOne

disney needs to stop trying to be a growth company!!! hunkerdown and add capacity in their existing parks for revenue growth. stop overextending themselves!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I'd have to say NO to any more parks. Disney is rapidly going to see their branded amusement parks become too common and less special, and therefore less worthy of big bucks vacations, if they keep building them anywhere there's an open chunk of land.
    Keep what they have, even (gasp) improve what they have, but don't spread out anymore.

• Not here to help

Next big project SHOULD be to fix MK and bring Epcot back from the 70´s. Then they should rebuild that Dino thing in DAK and add a Beast "land"...

...and then there is WDS that needs to be made over bigtime.

Disney in India?... ew!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• The line's too long...

It'd be better if they got the ones they already have right before expanding again, but since Disney wants to be seen as a growth company for the shareholders' sake, we'll be down this road again almost certainly within the next 5-10 years. I'd bet on either Abu Dhabi or Qatar getting the next park since they have the deep pockets to put up tons of cash, see tourism as their future in the post-oil era, and have affinity for investing in high-prestige brands such as Disney. Actually, I'd be shocked if Disney picked anywhere else for their next park.

• Super

What are all your thoughts on Disney expanding into other countries... but not with Magic Kindom-style parks? So keeping the Magic Kindoms to where they are now, but establishing new parks in new locations? If they put the sort of funds into new parks that they would into a new MK park, they could end up with some amazing results that would top the current non-MK parks. I think it would be an interesting idea and would definitely help bring in more people from around the world who love Disney but don't want to go see another MK park.

• Super

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    It'd be better if they got the ones they already have right before expanding again, but since Disney wants to be seen as a growth company for the shareholders' sake, we'll be down this road again almost certainly within the next 5-10 years. I'd bet on either Abu Dhabi or Qatar getting the next park since they have the deep pockets to put up tons of cash, see tourism as their future in the post-oil era, and have affinity for investing in high-prestige brands such as Disney. Actually, I'd be shocked if Disney picked anywhere else for their next park.
    I doubt we will see any development from Disney (or many companies really) in that area in the near future. I'm sure there are middle-eastern countries that probably could support a Disney park, but I don't think that Dubai (especially) would be one. While the initial idea for Dubai sounds so enticing, the reality is far from what was imagined (or more accurately marketed to the world) and it is looking more and more likely that Dubai is about to fall flat and become a ghost city. This is just one great article which talks about what is going on there right now: The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

Not really the sort of place I'd be sticking a Disney park.

• Mickey is not my Brother

I think a Texas Disney park would due or something else stateside.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    I think a Texas Disney park would due or something else stateside.
    No, never, no!

Disney should stop with Shanghai. I am already in disagreement with the Shanghai project and that is enough.

• Minion

One of tWDC's biggest corporate goals is to penetrate the massive consumer markets of middle & upper class China & India. By 2050, India will be the most populous country on the planet. English is pretty prevalent in India and the Disney Channel has made inroads there. If Disney has long-term plans for a theme park for India (which I'm sure they do), it could possibly involve Dubai. Dubai is a major vacation destination for Indians (similar to Florida for middle and east coast Americans).

Dubai's multitude of planned (and now on-hold) theme parks, resorts, etc were betting heavily on throngs of Indians, Russians and Europeans turning Dubai into the New Orlando. With the recession, however, the Dream of Dubai seems to be dissolving like the proverbial sand castle at high tide.

ShanghaiDL will probably go forward because the Central Government of China wants a big construction project that will employ thousands, but Disney's first Chinese park has not made the desired first impression (expensive food, too few attractions) on the Chinese park goer. Alain makes good points in his article about needing to understand the local culture when building parks.

Disney has had one major success in its overseas gambits and a couple of failures. Hopefully, they have learned from their mistakes.

Regarding oversaturation of MK-style parks. I would be much more inclined to spend the money globe trotting to the various resorts if each offered unique environments and attractions - not clones. Are you listening, Mr. Rasulo? There have been some indications that Shanghai could be the first major deviation in the boilerplate park plan (by mixing elements of MK and DisneySea).

And I think they should be changing the formula for the Shanghai park because not everything is going to "translate" well.

Another thing to note is how the other big theme park chains are expanding to many parts of the world and Disney may feel the need to stay with it....Universal is opening parks in Singapore, South Korea and Abu Dhabi (I think? it's next to Dubai), Six Flags and Busch had plans in Dubai though I don't know if those are being cancelled.

Blog Entries

Disney may not go to India, but there is another place where for sure they will not open a theme park, and it's Dubai.

Here is why: Disney and more: Why Disney will never build a theme park in Dubai

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast