Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Clock is ticking, counting down to the announcement of Shanghai Disneyland

I'm going to arbitrarily guess that the official Shanghai announcement will be on Oct. 12, 2009.

Thinking of recent discussions about Iger's strategic vision for the company, I think it may be likely that Marvel characters will get their own section of the park (as Pixar certainly will)... if not on opening day, then soon after.

It's been said that Disney's primary purpose in building parks in China is to promote their more lower-basis products (merchandise/tv/film of princesses, fairies, pixar, pirates, HSM, etc). Now that Marvel will soon be another brand under TWDC conglomerate banner, it would seem a wasted opportunity to not spread Marvel to the hundreds of millions of Chinese consumers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    At least now Shanghai Disney station is on the Maglev line. That's good!

They would need to construct a stop at the depot area (currently there is no station there). The thrill of riding the Maglev might put the Disney attractions to shame... it goes 280mph!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    In the above, the water features superimposed within the park boundaries, seems to corroborate the Annual Report artwork.
    I was going to make the same point.

• Minion

Fun speculation:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Very nice work! But is this just a Westcot design to get the project approved, followed by Disney's China Adventure being constructed?

They would need to construct a stop at the depot area (currently there is no station there). The thrill of riding the Maglev might put the Disney attractions to shame... it goes 280mph!!
    True, if they build the station Maglev station for Disney it can transport allot of passengers from Pudong Airport to the park quickly.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I think it may be likely that Marvel characters will get their own section of the park

(...)

Now that Marvel will soon be another brand under TWDC conglomerate banner, it would seem a wasted opportunity to not spread Marvel to the hundreds of millions of Chinese consumers.
    Are you kidding? Most Chinese couldn't even identify the Marvel characters. Peking would never allow their people to read such things. I mean, both Iron Man and Captain America are basically Rah Rah USA icons who The Party would highly disapprove of.

Not to mention that some of Iron Man's biggest villains, Fin Fang Foom and The Mandarin, are stereotypical Evil Chinese to begin with. They actually have played that up recently with Radioactive Man, another example.

Yeah, there's no way in heck that The People's Glorious Leadership would allow that kind of thing to pass. Expect Fab Five, Princesses with a heavier dose than usual of Mulan, that sort of thing. Marvel is the kind of thing that you could probably put in Hong Kong, but the only guy anybody would probably recognize is Spider-Man.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Are you kidding? Most Chinese couldn't even identify the Marvel characters.
    Which is exactly the reason Disney is building theme parks in China... to introduce the Chinese consumer to their characters/products. They want hundreds of millions of chinese kids to grow to want a Buzz Lightyear (or now Spiderman) toy.

Peking would never allow their people to read such things. I mean, both Iron Man and Captain America are basically Rah Rah USA icons who The Party would highly disapprove of. Not to mention that some of Iron Man's biggest villains, Fin Fang Foom and The Mandarin, are stereotypical Evil Chinese to begin with. They actually have played that up recently with Radioactive Man, another example. Yeah, there's no way in heck that The People's Glorious Leadership would allow that kind of thing to pass. Expect Fab Five, Princesses with a heavier dose than usual of Mulan, that sort of thing. Marvel is the kind of thing that you could probably put in Hong Kong, but the only guy anybody would probably recognize is Spider-Man.
    Shows how little I know about Marvel characters. I'll give you that anything that casts a negative light on the Chinese will be banned (supposedly the Chinese pirates of the PotC films are why that attraction got nixed for HKDL).

I believe Marvel's first tier properties are Spiderman and X-men, second tier are Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four, third tier is Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Avengers. This may have changed after the success of the Iron Man movie, but the offending properties probably wouldn't make the first draft of a potential Marvel Land.

• Banned User

I'm going to arbitrarily guess that the official Shanghai announcement will be on Oct. 12, 2009.

Thinking of recent discussions about Iger's strategic vision for the company, I think it may be likely that Marvel characters will get their own section of the park (as Pixar certainly will)... if not on opening day, then soon after.

It's been said that Disney's primary purpose in building parks in China is to promote their more lower-basis products (merchandise/tv/film of princesses, fairies, pixar, pirates, HSM, etc). Now that Marvel will soon be another brand under TWDC conglomerate banner, it would seem a wasted opportunity to not spread Marvel to the hundreds of millions of Chinese consumers.
    To hell with the idea of Marvel characters in a Disney park.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I believe Marvel's first tier properties are Spiderman and X-men, second tier are Incredible Hulk and Fantastic Four, third tier is Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Avengers. This may have changed after the success of the Iron Man movie, but the offending properties probably wouldn't make the first draft of a potential Marvel Land.
    It's more like the top tier is Spidey, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America. Tier two is the rest of the X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, and F4. Really, the Avengers are the Justice League of Marvel. It's where you get to see Hulk and Thor and Captain America all fighting at once.

Your only underestimation is Cap, because while he hasn't had a big blockbuster film he IS the Marvel equivalent to Batman. They're very different people, of course, but the premise that he's Just A Regular Man at peak conditioning is the same.

I can't see any of them being too recognizable in China or the SARs but Spider-Man, who is basically known worldwide. I know when you tell people in Japan about American heroes, SpiderMan is the first thing they usually think of.

Its October 14th and no announcement of SDL.. Has anyone heard anything lately?
    -Tyler

• Minion

^ My guess was a little optimistic, huh.

Even if the project gets approval/moves forward in Fall 2009, it could be a long while before details/artwork emerge.

HKDL was officially announced in August 1998. The first press release with details about the lands & artwork didn't come until November 1999 (and was very different from what was actually built). Land reclamation began in 2000. Ground was broken in 2003. Park opened in September 2005.

So while I hope for details/artwork sooner than later, I'm not going to hold my breath any longer.

Hopefully we see some concepts soon. I'm dyeing to see what this park is going to look like.
    -Tyler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

HKDL was officially announced in August 1998. The first press release with details about the lands & artwork didn't come until November 1999 (and was very different from what was actually built).
    Show us! Please.

• Minion

^ Well, I did put together this collage of what was announced for HKDL in the original press release:

HKDLSource.com has all the original announcements:

http://homepage.hkdlsource.com/park/announcement

http://homepage.hkdlsource.com/park/lostlands

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast