Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Re: Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney park with Marvel super-hero attracti

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    I dont like the mix of Marvel with Disney. It just takes away the magic to me and turns it into violence.

~babs
    Over 70 years, Disney has had over 400 acts of violence and over 500 uses of weapons in their films, so hey! A match made in heaven.

I'm growing to be very unsure of this Marvel acquasition. Disney is really building themselves between a rock and a hard place here. The reason Universal uses Marvel is because it suits them more. I'm probably going to get shot here, but if Disney REALLY wants to use them, they are going to have to build a third studio-themed park to contain them.

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Re: Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney park with Marvel super-hero attracti

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I think I'd rather see them build an entire Marvel theme park at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort than shoehorn all those great characters into a single land.

There is so much for Disney to work with that Marvel could easily be a fantastic park with many of its own lands.
    I agree 100%. A separate park with multiple lands has a lot of possibilities. If they did put anything in an already established (carbon copy) park though, I would hope it wouldn't be in the magic kingdom. If they want to save this for another Hollywood type park, they would at least have a lot of material to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I actually would not mind if WDI completely eliminated a tomorrowland for the Shanghai park and created a land that hey could use to integrate the Marvel superheroes.

They could even built classic like space mountain and completely change the storyline behind it and base it on one of the Marvel characters. I could see them integrating the Sci Fi city idea that was once proposed for Tokyo and with modifications build it with Marvel in mind along with characters like The Incredibles.

Disney really needs to break the mold for a Magic Kingdom park in Shanghai and try to create something that will compliment the neighboring Hong Kong park and avoid comparisons.
    I like the idea of a Sci Fi city land but I think there are so many other ideas that could be used without Marvel being involved. Marvel could be one heck of a theme park on its own.
    I am ashamed of what I've done for a Klondike Bar.

• Future Imagineer! =D

I HATE MARVEL! It does NOT, I repeat, does NOT, belong in a Disney park. It is not Disneyish and in my opinion it is the some of my most awful stuff ever created. ...but that's just my opinion. I will personally throw a fit and bombard Disney with letters and calls if they EVER put Marvel into Disneyland. One day all my friends, family, and I should go to Disneyland wearing shirts that say "I HATE MARVEL" or "MARVEL DOESN'T BELONG WITH DISNEY" hehe. I have very strong opinions and tend to set my mind to things...
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Once upon a dream

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    I HATE MARVEL! It does NOT, I repeat, does NOT, belong in a Disney park. It is not Disneyish and in my opinion it is the some of my most awful stuff ever created. ...but that's just my opinion. I will personally throw a fit and bombard Disney with letters and calls if they EVER put Marvel into Disneyland. One day all my friends, family, and I should go to Disneyland wearing shirts that say "I HATE MARVEL" or "MARVEL DOESN'T BELONG WITH DISNEY" hehe. I have very strong opinions and tend to set my mind to things...
    Well said!

Disney and Marvel are a terrible marriage. They are not magical at all.

• Hall Of Promise

I say go for it.

Disney has a lot of princesses, kingdoms, and other kiddie things. Yes, Disney is known for creating such child content, but this isn't the only genre they specialize. It's nice and all, and I very much respect it, but I'm more of a fan of the more mature content Disney has released over the years, such as The Sixth Sense, Pulp Fiction, No Country for Old Men, Extract, Apocalypto, Cinderella Man, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Hidalgo, Open Range, among others. These movies are very "Disneyish" to me, but they can't really put these in theme parks.

Marvel on the other hand has amazing adventuristic and high energy content perfect for the thrill seeking fans. You can create rides in the lines of Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror utilizing themes of Marvel worlds. They don't have to be roller coasters, per se. They can be top notch attractions such as The Amazing Adventure of Spider-Man, an attraction Universal Creative hit a home run with (seeing how former Disney Imagineers helped brought it to life).

Sure, these worlds may not fit thematically in the lands of Disneyland, but that is NOT to say they do not belong in a Disney park. Disney Imagineers have created many stories of a different pace than the princesses and kingdoms. Look at Phantom Minor at Disneyland Paris or Tower of Terror in Tokyo DisneySea (or most of DisneySea for that matter). These stories may not be Disney in nature, but Disney is also known for simply creating good stories overall and across the board, not just with their kid lineup.

WDI can do wonders with Marvel characters. I just don't think people are thinking wide enough and simply referring to what has been done in the past by other companies. Disney doesn't have to go this route. They can go in a new route that hasn't been done before in the theme park world, and that is what has me most excited about the acquisition. I would MUCH rather see Marvel attractions and lands than anymore Pixar attractions, let alone the Disney channel lineup.

• Once upon a dream

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    I say go for it.

Disney has a lot of princesses, kingdoms, and other kiddie things. Yes, Disney is known for creating such child content, but this isn't the only genre they specialize. It's nice and all, and I very much respect it, but I'm more of a fan of the more mature content Disney has released over the years, such as The Sixth Sense, Pulp Fiction, No Country for Old Men, Extract, Apocalypto, Cinderella Man, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Hidalgo, Open Range, among others. These movies are very "Disneyish" to me, but they can't really put these in theme parks.

Marvel on the other hand has amazing adventuristic and high energy content perfect for the thrill seeking fans. You can create rides in the lines of Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror utilizing themes of Marvel worlds. They don't have to be roller coasters, per se. They can be top notch attractions such as The Amazing Adventure of Spider-Man, an attraction Universal Creative hit a home run with (seeing how former Disney Imagineers helped brought it to life).

Sure, these worlds may not fit thematically in the lands of Disneyland, but that is NOT to say they do not belong in a Disney park. Disney Imagineers have created many stories of a different pace than the princesses and kingdoms. Look at Phantom Minor at Disneyland Paris or Tower of Terror in Tokyo DisneySea (or most of DisneySea for that matter). These stories may not be Disney in nature, but Disney is also known for simply creating good stories overall and across the board, not just with their kid lineup.

WDI can do wonders with Marvel characters. I just don't think people are thinking wide enough and simply referring to what has been done in the past by other companies. Disney doesn't have to go this route. They can go in a new route that hasn't been done before in the theme park world, and that is what has me most excited about the acquisition. I would MUCH rather see Marvel attractions and lands than anymore Pixar attractions, let alone the Disney channel lineup.
    I like Pixar

Except the Incredibles.....

And I'd rather have Disney Channel Line up.

Marvel is a gold mine for any Imagineer with a scrap of creativity. The opportunities provided by their unique universe and thousands of characters make for incredible theme park experiences, as shown so clearly at Islands of Adventure. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman is my favorite ride I have ever been on. Not only does it immerse you so completely in the Marvel world, but the entire ride is so cohesive. You really feel as though you are fighting with Spiderman. It's a truly sensational attraction that is simply mind-blowing. All I can say is that the Marvel Heroes can provide such extraordinary adventures when exploited properly in a theme park setting. Disney is not doing itself any favors if they choose to not feature them in their parks.

I'm not saying they should build the Incredible Hulk Coaster in Frontierland by any means, but I'm certainly all for them being used where they are able to fit in. A Sci-Fi City would be a fantastic way to incorporate them into a brand new Tomorrowland. I don't think that we shouldn't support any Marvel rides being built solely on the basis "It's Not Disney". Like it or not, on January 1st 2010, Marvel IS Disney for all intents and purposes. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally look forward to the day when I can see Marvel Attractions in a Disney park.

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideoftheMouse View Post
    Like it or not, on January 1st 2010, Marvel IS Disney for all intents and purposes. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally look forward to the day when I can see Marvel Attractions in a Disney park.
    I agree. If today we can think of Star Wars as being appropriate for a Disney Park, I am sure future generations will have no problem making a similar association for Marvel.

I agree with the three good options already mentioned:

1. A Scifi-land instead of Tomorrowland, with Marvel focus
    2. A Marvel-land within a "Studios" park.
    3. A Marvel Park

While personally I would prefer the latter two options, if Disney wants the quickest return on their investment, then the first would be the way to go. The second option might be a great way to boost attendance at WDS in Paris as well.
    Down with the Hat

I would die for a truly realized Marvel Park on the scale depicted in the Concept art for Dubai that leaked rather recently. The only thing that really concerns me in this deal is a buffer zone between traditional Disney characters and the acquired Marvel characters. This is an issue I don't have with the Pixar characters, and I don't really have a problem with them being featured so prominently with Disney characters in shows like World of Color which span Disney's entire library of classic films. But for Marvel and the Lucas characters, it feels as though any crossover must be relegated to being solely comedic. I really like seeing Mickey, Goofy, and Donald taking the role of Luke, Vader, and Yoda, its something completely different, interesting, and ultimately it makes me laugh. Same thing with all of the Marvel Disney art that has been photo shopped in the past few months since the deal.

But on some level, I would agree that it simply doesn't work. It doesn't feel right. My enjoyment of it is rooted in the fact that it is merely a novelty, that it is out-of-place and that makes it more interesting. Therefore, there really does need to be some sort of divide between the Marvel Universe and the Disney Universe. How extensive must that divide be...? I can not say for certain, for it is beyond my jurisdiction. The degree of this separation will certainly vary for everyone, for there will be those who will have nothing of any merging, and those who will be all for it by any means. But speaking solely for myself, I would be happy to someday see a Marvel attraction in a Magic Kingdom park, and hope that in time it comes to pass. Providing of course that there are no thematic infractions present.

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Future Imagineer! =D

Well said!

Disney and Marvel are a terrible marriage. They are not magical at all.
    I agree! Marvel?! I mean, come on!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Future Imagineer! =D

I like Pixar

Except the Incredibles.....
    Whoah...we have a lot in common! haha. I'm either like or am mutual about all the Pixar movies, but I just don't like the Incredibles...
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I agree. If today we can think of Star Wars as being appropriate for a Disney Park, I am sure future generations will have no problem making a similar association for Marvel.

I agree with the three good options already mentioned:

1. A Scifi-land instead of Tomorrowland, with Marvel focus
    2. A Marvel-land within a "Studios" park.
    3. A Marvel Park

While personally I would prefer the latter two options, if Disney wants the quickest return on their investment, then the first would be the way to go. The second option might be a great way to boost attendance at WDS in Paris as well.
    There are a lot of general Sci Fi themes that can be very interesting and creative without the presence of Marvel characters; Space Travel, Time Travel and Parallel Worlds to name a few. I think Marvel should go with its own park or part of a HPB type park instead of in an actual magic kingdom. It just doesn't fit to me.
    I am ashamed of what I've done for a Klondike Bar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12