Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney park with Marvel super-hero attraction?

Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney theme park to have Marvel super-heroes attractions ?

According to the always good Screamscape web site their sources told them that "Disney has asked the Imagineers to start studying up the huge collection of Marvel Comics characters and stories" and "that the first Disney park that could get new Marvel based attractions will likely be the new Shanghai park."

Although it's still a rumor, it's an interesting news and here is why it could eventually really happen at Shanghaî Disneyland before any other Disney theme park. I'm not aware of the contracts signed between Marvel and Universal before the Disney deal but i won't be surprised that an "exclusivity clause" was asked by Universal to Marvel. At least for each country where the attractions are already built, i.e America and Japan where Universal Studios have theme parks, and the Spiderman ride in two of them.

Now, although Universal do have a theme park project near Beijing - which awaits China officials approval just like Disney for Shanghaî Disneyland - they still don't have a park in China. And, bad news for Universal, Disney now owns the Marvel rights, which basically means that Disney is doing what he wants as long as they're not stuck with previous contract clauses signed before they own the rights.

So which Disney theme park could be better than Shanghaî Disneyland to introduce the first WDI Marvel super-heroes attractions? But there may be also another reason: from what i've been told Imagineers intend to pay tribute to Chinese mythologies in Shanghaî Disneyland. Which is a pretty good idea as chinese are generally not aware of European mythologies - that's one of the reason you don't find any Snow White, Pinnochio or even Peter Pan dark rides at Hong Kong Disneyland. Chinese know more Pixar characters as these are coming from recent animated films but for the old Disney classics it's another problem...

On this angle, Marvel super-heroes mythologies thanks to recent movies - and one dollar pirate Dvds that anyone can find in most Chinese cities! - are probably well known by young chinese generations - and we can count on Disney to have check this with a marketing research!

So, for all these reasons, and although the Screamscape news must still be consider as a rumor, i would bet on it - not only for the fun but also because, as i often say, there is always a logic behind corporate decisions and in this case we can catch a glimpse of the logic who could decide WDI Imagineers to create Marvel super-heroes attractions for the awaited Shanghaî Disneyland.

The full article is available on MiceChat partner site - Disney and More:

Disney and more: Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney theme park to have Marvel super-heroes attractions ?

• Banned User

Re: Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney park with Marvel super-hero attracti

I hope not.

Re: Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney park with Marvel super-hero attracti

I Hope So.

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Big Hockey Fan

i hope so too

Wonder what type of land will they create? Marveland or superheroland. It makes sense for a second themepark but for a Magic Kingdom not sure how it will fit in.

• All-American

I wouldn't be surprised at all - and I wouldn't mind either! In already-built parks like Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom, the only way Marvel characters could be introduced would be to shoehorn them in to an existing land - and considering the themes of these lands, it would be very messy. The advantage Shanghai has is that it's being built from the ground up, meaning places can be created specifically to accommodate these characters, which would be great. I could easily see WDI creating a "Heroes land," or an urban land themed to a big city that these superheroes dwell in.

• would love some pie

I would hope that if this Marvel land comes to fruition, the Incredibles would be included.
    KABLAM!

• Minion

I don't mind either. If Star Wars is OK in a Disney park, why not some Marvel character? It's all about how it's executed and how it integrates with whatever park it's built into.

Whether Shanghai is the first resort to boast Marvel attractions in Disney parks is a more complicated question. SHDL is at least 5 or 6 years away from opening. Existing contracts with Universal and other companies may prevent such attractions in the US and possibly Japan in the short run. Plus Chinese likely have greater familiarity with Marvel characters than with many other Disney properties. So I think the likely answer to the original question is "yes".
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think I'd rather see them build an entire Marvel theme park at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort than shoehorn all those great characters into a single land.

There is so much for Disney to work with that Marvel could easily be a fantastic park with many of its own lands.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Thumbs up Re: Will Shanghaî Disneyland be the first Disney park with Marvel super-hero attracti

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I don't mind either. If Star Wars is OK in a Disney park, why not some Marvel character? It's all about how it's executed and how it integrates with whatever park it's built into.
    That's very true!

• This is it... COME ON!!

To me, that's wasting space!
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

• Once upon a dream

I dont like the mix of Marvel with Disney. It just takes away the magic to me and turns it into violence.

~babs

I actually would not mind if WDI completely eliminated a tomorrowland for the Shanghai park and created a land that hey could use to integrate the Marvel superheroes.

They could even built classic like space mountain and completely change the storyline behind it and base it on one of the Marvel characters. I could see them integrating the Sci Fi city idea that was once proposed for Tokyo and with modifications build it with Marvel in mind along with characters like The Incredibles.

Disney really needs to break the mold for a Magic Kingdom park in Shanghai and try to create something that will compliment the neighboring Hong Kong park and avoid comparisons.

I think the second gate in HKDL should be a Marveland. That will make it attractive for all visitors. SHDL should just focus on its first gate, maybe one or two Marvel attractions but not the whole park.

• Sock Puppet

No, that would just be like Universal's Marvel Super Island. Mickey and Marvel don't seem to mix that well. Star War's and Disney work because they are both very imaginative lands that do fit in Disneyland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast