View Poll Results: Which of these do you want to see built at Shanghai Disneyland?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Disneyland Hotel. (as in Anaheim's, Tokyo's, Paris's or Hong Kong's)

38 40.86%
  • An original hotel design.

37 39.78%
  • An Islands of Adventure style layout for the Magic Kingdom park.

22 23.66%
  • The usual hub and spokes design for the Magic Kingdom park.

40 43.01%
  • Rapunzel's Castle.

14 15.05%
  • Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

5 5.38%
  • Cinderella's Castle.

4 4.30%
  • Many new, original rides. (please post ideas here)

52 55.91%
  • The Beast's Castle.

47 50.54%
  • ONLY original rides and shows. (everything is new, no clones at all)

12 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: What should be built at Shanghai Disneyland?

Disney Sea layout with the repunzel castle in place of the volcano. A different type of mainstreet with a very different layout. Either 20's themed like original designs for DLP, or "century street" with a elevated trolly, street cars, maybe even an Edison Square type area. A POTC with a backwards drop/outdoor drop. IDK exactly. I would like to see a strong movie influence for this one. Very different tomorrowland. kind of like a space base of the future type thing with different districts, ie light and power district with Stormrider, Entertainment District with Buzz Lightyear and Plectu's Galactic Revue. Very different Haunted Mansion, maybe omnimover.

• Big Hockey Fan

Mainstreet is a 40's town, with swing music and such. Fantasyland with the normal Dumbo and mad tea party, a mulan dark ride and Beast's Castle. Adventureland with a POTC ride like the movie, really really dark. Jungle Cruise and original Tiki Room. An Indy ride. In Frontierland, A BTMR that has bigger drops, a WoC and a very westerny feel. A Phantom Manor that has the story of Master Gracey. Tomorrowland has a Space Mountain Mission:2. An all new Stitch ride. A Peoplemover. oh and Fantasyland has Escape from Bald Mountain ride. I will think of somemore

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

A Dark Tomorrowland!(with some elements from Glacer Bay) Which would feature AE, a Haunted Mansion-Type Attraction(not with ghost persay, just some scarey stuff, like an abandoned crashed space station with aliens.) Space Mountain(make it semi-simular to the old DL's, like the music and at the same time, make it special to SDL.) No BLAB(but they most likey will feature it and some other Pixar Brands)
    EDIT: We will soon have to call Shanghai Disneyland, SDL.

Timekeeper

• Future Cast Member

I say an ORIGINAL castle should be built. =)

• Minion

Western River Expedition

Rapunzel Castle in place of Mt Prometheus in a TDS-style layout

Mulan-land

If they built these three I would be booking my flight as soon as I possibly could. In fact I might do it with just WRE. Not that I'm holding my breath.
    Down with the Hat

I'd be shocked if either Disney or the Chinese Government Officials felt that Western River Expedition would be a good fit for Shanghai. I just don't think that the large Chinese population this park is reaching out to has the romantic relationship with the Wild West that even Americans have been steadily growing away from. I would like to see Frontier Land entirely replaced with something interesting that would appeal to Chinese audiences. It's not that I don't want to see a new Frontier Land, it's simply that I think that it's the least appealing of the Magic Kingdom lands to a Chinese audience. But you never know. Maybe the Chinese will develop an affinity for the Old West.

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Five-Legged Goat

Western River Expedition -- a PotC-style, lavishly themed boat ride with a few small drops.

Pirates of the Caribbean -- a more thrilling, Splash Mountain-style ride with one large drop at the end.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride -- featuring cutting-edge special effects, and the Hunny Hunt/Mystic Manor trackless ride system.

A Mulan-themed wooden coaster (to rival the Fireball at Shanghai's Happy Valley) that weaves in and out of thick bamboo groves.

A JttCotE-type ride, featuring vehicles inspired by traditional Chinese design, traveling through mountain peaks straight out of a Chinese painting, and culminating in an encounter with a humongous dragon AA. (Tony Baxter in fact alludes to a potential ride in this type of setting, at the end of the Disney Mountains book.)

As I posted a while back, a Haunted Mansion with a traditional Chinese theme -- like a haunted monastery. Jiangshi (hopping corpses), huli jing (fox spirits), and stretching portraits that look like Chinese watercolor scrolls; "Grim Grinning Ghosts" played on a traditional Chinese zither.

And pandas. Lots and lots of pandas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhio View Post

A JttCotE-type ride, featuring vehicles inspired by traditional Chinese design, traveling through mountain peaks straight out of a Chinese painting, and culminating in an encounter with a humongous dragon AA. (Tony Baxter in fact alludes to a potential ride in this type of setting, at the end of the Disney Mountains book.)

Now this is a brilliant idea, and one that I hope comes to frutition in some shape or form. Perhaps, it could be the anchor in a land that pays homage to the Chinese romanticized view of their history the way that Frontier Land represents that nostalgic feeling that Americans feel. It could take a position in a corner of the park the way Mysterious Island was originally intended to be in the Port Disney project. A land paying homage to Chinese history and mythology could certainly yield some interesting results for WDI.

• Koubu Pilot

Why not turn the Adventureland/Frontierland/ROA side of the park into a mini World Showcase? Kind of like how they would have set it up for Westcot? Or have a land like Liberty Square, but make it about China's heritage with a Mulan dark ride?

• Five-Legged Goat

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideoftheMouse View Post
    Now this is a brilliant idea, and one that I hope comes to frutition in some shape or form. Perhaps, it could be the anchor in a land that pays homage to the Chinese romanticized view of their history the way that Frontier Land represents that nostalgic feeling that Americans feel. It could take a position in a corner of the park the way Mysterious Island was originally intended to be in the Port Disney project. A land paying homage to Chinese history and mythology could certainly yield some interesting results for WDI.
    Actually, I was thinking that such an attraction would be a great, original addition to DAK as well. Rather than just cloning JttCotE (which features imaginary creatures, but hardly ones that are iconic or richly storied), DAK could add a new land themed after China, called "Yangtze River Valley" or something similar. They could have the attraction I described above -- Chinese dragons are well known the world over, after all -- as well as pandas -- for the "real animals" element of the land.

Yeah, there's certainly a lot to work with when going into more specific Chinese themes, but Disney is going to want to explore many of its own franchises as well to make its investment worth it. I'm quite anxious to see some of the plans that come out of this deal Disney is making and see how it all turns out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideoftheMouse View Post
    I'd be shocked if either Disney or the Chinese Government Officials felt that Western River Expedition would be a good fit for Shanghai. I just don't think that the large Chinese population this park is reaching out to has the romantic relationship with the Wild West that even Americans have been steadily growing away from. I would like to see Frontier Land entirely replaced with something interesting that would appeal to Chinese audiences. It's not that I don't want to see a new Frontier Land, it's simply that I think that it's the least appealing of the Magic Kingdom lands to a Chinese audience. But you never know. Maybe the Chinese will develop an affinity for the Old West.
    I was simply expressing my own yearning to see Western River Expedition realized...I'm not having any realistic expectation of it being built.

That being said...I do think, even if Westerns as a genre have faded in popularity, and even being in China...WRE is just such an impressive ride, it would be success regardless. For instance I think HKDL would have done much better for itself if they had decided to pony up the dough to build WRE instead of that grizzly coaster they are constructing.
    Down with the Hat

• Dreamer

I have to be honest and say that an IOA-style built for the Magic Kingdom will not work. The MK has a specific set-up that just makes it work - unlike many other theme parks that seem to have a very random set-up.

What I really want them to do is use the original set-up and rides and redesign them from scratch, the same way they did in Paris, which has worked wonders considering the rocky start. The castle should be Disney-esque and unique (I personally root for the Beast's castle) and the overall-theme should incorporate elements of the Chinese culture from the last century.

The reason why I mention that is because when I was studying a walk through video of DLP, I noticed that every land incorporated an element from the late 1800s to the early 1900s with a European hint; from a charming Main Street, to the rugged wild west, across the adventurous parts of the world, as well as a European fantasy land and of course Discoveryland, which is mostly based on Jules Verne's visions.

Now imagine that with an Asian flair. With the right people it can really work. Also, there has to be a Disneyland Hotel, as well as an array of other, original hotels and of course a Disney Downtown (which I'm still not fond of, btw).

I really do hope the Imagineers will go back to that approach, as they really screwed that up with HKD.

Cool Re: What should be built at Shanghai Disneyland?

Lots of water = very good

I think WDI will come up with great ideas for attractions while keeping many classics! I defiantly want to see it spaced out, well themed, and maintained properly.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

For the castle, I really really want them to go with Snow White as the Princess of choice. Why? Well, she is the first Disney Princess, and not to mention the fact that her film was the world's first full-length animated feature film, to boot. I think it'd be great if they would pay her homage in this respect.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast