View Poll Results: Which of these do you want to see built at Shanghai Disneyland?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Disneyland Hotel. (as in Anaheim's, Tokyo's, Paris's or Hong Kong's)

38 40.86%
  • An original hotel design.

37 39.78%
  • An Islands of Adventure style layout for the Magic Kingdom park.

22 23.66%
  • The usual hub and spokes design for the Magic Kingdom park.

40 43.01%
  • Rapunzel's Castle.

14 15.05%
  • Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

5 5.38%
  • Cinderella's Castle.

4 4.30%
  • Many new, original rides. (please post ideas here)

52 55.91%
  • The Beast's Castle.

47 50.54%
  • ONLY original rides and shows. (everything is new, no clones at all)

12 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: What should be built at Shanghai Disneyland?

I think "Frontierland" is not just an "American" ideal, there is frontier and desert area's in China as well. It doesn't have to necessarily invoke "USA".

Although, I do think having a "Main Street USA" would probably be a mistake. I think having it be kind of like the Shanghai featured in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (so 1930's?) would work great.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I I think having it be kind of like the Shanghai featured in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (so 1930's?) would work great.
    While the early 1900s may be a nostalgic time in some respects for Americans, 1930s was hardly the same for the Chinese. Although Shanghai was booming it was essentially under control of Western powers who treated the locals as second class citizens. And all that before 1937, when of course things got worse with city flattened by Japanese except for the European quarter. Not that Disney is always concerned about historical realities, but still I don't know that the period would resonate with the Chinese in the same way that Main St USA does for Americans.

I say build a Magic Kingdom theme park using the layout of Tokyo DisneySea, with some appropriate substitute for the Hotel Mira Costa.
    Down with the Hat

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

When they built HK DL, they opened it without a Frontierland, but it does have Americana Main Street.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhio View Post
    Western River Expedition -- a PotC-style, lavishly themed boat ride with a few small drops.

Pirates of the Caribbean -- a more thrilling, Splash Mountain-style ride with one large drop at the end.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride -- featuring cutting-edge special effects, and the Hunny Hunt/Mystic Manor trackless ride system.

A Mulan-themed wooden coaster (to rival the Fireball at Shanghai's Happy Valley) that weaves in and out of thick bamboo groves.

A JttCotE-type ride, featuring vehicles inspired by traditional Chinese design, traveling through mountain peaks straight out of a Chinese painting, and culminating in an encounter with a humongous dragon AA. (Tony Baxter in fact alludes to a potential ride in this type of setting, at the end of the Disney Mountains book.)

As I posted a while back, a Haunted Mansion with a traditional Chinese theme -- like a haunted monastery. Jiangshi (hopping corpses), huli jing (fox spirits), and stretching portraits that look like Chinese watercolor scrolls; "Grim Grinning Ghosts" played on a traditional Chinese zither.

And pandas. Lots and lots of pandas.
    Don't Forget the Were-Tigers!

Timekeeper

• Nutty about Disney parks

Seeing that Hong Kong plans to add three original new lands, Shanghai could benefit from just staying as close to the classic stuff as possible but just have a different castle. That way, the two Chinese parks will each be unique and complement each other. Like the way DLA has different rides and a castle from that of the Magic Kingdom in WDW.

Or they can just have a nationwide poll as to what the mainlanders want to see in it as they will be the main moneymakers.

• Dreaming of Disney World

I really think it will be cool to have the palace from Aladdin as the "castle" and have the "main street" be like the street scenes in Aladdin("Middle Eastern Avenue" or something else).
    Look for me on Facebook: Tyler Keith Lee Tew

For all Disney News when it happens, follow DisneyverseNews at www.twitter.com/DisneyverseNews

• Banned User

I think Shanghai Disneyland should be a....Disneyland. That means hub and spokes, European Castle, and the 5 main lands; Frontierland, Adventureland, Main Street USA, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland.

But that is just my view....

• Just Call Me Kiti

From reading what everyone else is saying, I really like the idea of a mulan dark ride. I love that movie and I think between all the disney parks that already exist, there is not enough mulan in the parks. We need a mulan ride of some sort. I like the dark ride idea, but a rollercoaster would be pretty cool too. Ride around the Great Wall of China or something? I also really like the Beast castle or the Snow white castle. there is enough Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella castles already. As for layout, I like that idea of using Disney Sea's layout just putting a castle. But I do also like keeping with the traditional DL with the mainstreet and everything. and keeping with some of the traditional rides (ie-POTC, BTMR, Space Mountain, small world, splash, etc..) I know people are saying why put another DL layout in China because HKDL already has the DL layout. But I don't see much of a difference between that and having Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom in the same continent. It would be cool to have a dark take on Tomorrowland as well...but I guess we'll just have to see.
    Sing like no one is Listening
    Dance like no one is Watching
    Smile like you're at Disneyland
    Live like there is no Tomorrow
    The End

Star light, Star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish that I wish tonight. I'll make a wish and do as Dreamers do. And all our wishes will come true. <3

It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland...
    <3

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tyler2cfhs View Post
    I really think it will be cool to have the palace from Aladdin as the "castle" and have the "main street" be like the street scenes in Aladdin("Middle Eastern Avenue" or something else).
    I've thought for some time, that if they used a DisneySea style layout, that an Arabian theme might be a nice substitute for the Mediterranean Harbor. As an example of what it might look like - the pic below is of the Madinat Jumeirah, a luxury resort in Dubai:

Last edited by tasman; 11-15-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Down with the Hat

^ I like the idea of incorporating an Arabian-themed hotel into the harbor area.

I've also been armchair imagineering the Shanghai park, and I agree that turn-of-the-century small town America has been done so many times that it has earned a well-deserved retirement.

Three potential concepts for an Entry Land - all of which have been considered before - are illustrated below:

1. Something similar to IOA's extraordinarily well-designed Port of Entry - which is like a Zanzibar/Rangoon/Timbuktu amalgam with some fantasy thrown in: an exotic and romantic gateway to adventure.

2. A Big City Street of the Roaring 20s, with Jazz Club, street hustlers, elevated train, broadway theater, etc. - similar to Eddie Sotto's proposal for DLP.

3. A World Bazaar, as Tokyo's was originally intended, which would have taken EPCOT's World Showcase and squeezed it into Main Street's layout. This idea was further developed in WestCOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If this is Shanghai now, what are they going to do for a Tomorrowland?

I hope they eliminate tomorrowland from the Shanghai park even if it means creating a mixed sci fi city integrated with marvel super heroes including the Disney/Pixar Incredibles

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The more unique this park is the better. Let Hong Kong Disneyland be the traditional style park. I'd LOVE to see Shanghai Disneyland be more in the style of Tokyo Disney Sea in scale and layout.

Lots more water, more isolated lands, a major lake or lagoon that the lands wrap around (like World Showcase at EPCOT) for day and night time shows. While they should get a few classic Disney rides, I really hope they get some unique twists and some entirely new concepts.

The more different Shanghai is, the less it will compete with and hurt Hong Kong (which is a much smaller park and currently under stress from a lack of attendance).

I also hope that Imagineering will take this opportunity to develop some of their long standing ideas and concepts which they've never had the approval or budget to explore. This could ultimately be a great way to get some new ideas into the US parks once they have been initially funded by the Shanghai project.
    I agree 100%

Some good ideas here...I definitely believe that there should be a unique mixture of themes...

I would think ideally they should have:

A traditional Fantasyland, with a portion dedicated to Chinese fantasy stories

A World Showcase style area, since many Chinese people may be interested in seeing more of the "outside" world.

A unique centerpiece, a castle, but not one that's been built before...there's too much cloning of castles going on IMO

An Adventureland with more thrilling versions of classics,
    -how about a tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki Flume?

A Villians Dark ride of some sort

I like the DisneySea hub and spoke layout idea...it's really incredible how well it pulls off that concept without people even realizing that it IS a hub and spoke design

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I agree 100%
    For Paris or Tokyo, that would have worked - or if Disney were currently (hypothetically) building London Disneyland right next to Paris with a high speed train under the Channel.

This is CHINA though. They're not going to "get it" if the evolution of ideas creates an abstract of something they don't know.

Also, for a variety of reasons Chinese people don't ordinarily do much travel for vacation-sightseeing, if they go somewhere it's usually to see relatives.

HKDL might as well be in another country, they can't even go there without gvt. Permission.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

A World Bazaar, as Tokyo's was originally intended, which would have taken EPCOT's World Showcase and squeezed it into Main Street's layout. This idea was further developed in WestCOT.
    I can see being the most logical entry to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I hope they eliminate tomorrowland from the Shanghai park even if it means creating a mixed sci fi city integrated with marvel super heroes including the Disney/Pixar Incredibles
    Who hasn't heard of Tokyo's forgotten reworking,"Project:Sci-fi City"?
    That would create a whole new form of Tomorrowland.

And mine you, a Incredibles ride and/or TRON dueling motocoasters are well overdue.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast