Shanghai Disney park size

TVB a Hong Kong channel reported that the Shanghai Disneyland Resort will be 1000 acres. However, the park size duriing at opening will only be 100 acres. This tells me its gonna be a small park when it opens if the news media is reporting it true. We know that Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is only 320 acres means that Shanghai Disneyland park is 1/3 the size of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

• Bangarang!

Re: Shanghai Disney park size

Can't see them opening a humongous resort with a postage stamp of a park. Then again starting small gives them miles to expand.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    TVB a Hong Kong channel reported that the Shanghai Disneyland Resort will be 1000 acres. However, the park size duriing at opening will only be 100 acres. This tells me its gonna be a small park when it opens if the news media is reporting it true. We know that Hong Kong Disneyland Resort is only 320 acres means that Shanghai Disneyland park is 1/3 the size of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.
    I found this image that looks like the 100 acres may just be part phase 1.
    http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/z...sneyland_1.jpg

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• Artistic integrity

Disneyland Anaheim is roughly 85 acres (75 in 1955, with Toontown, and expansion of showbuildings outside the berm, bring it up to around 85) .......

And if this park is 100 .... that will make it a bit larger than DL.

• Minion

You are comparing the size of the park in Shanghai to the size of the entire resort in Hong Kong? How is that a valid comaprison?

The size of the park itself is not the most important factor. Disneyland Anaheim is smaller than the other Magic Kingdoms except for Hong Kong but has more packed into it than any of the others, and has been a resounding success from the start. There are more important things than total acreage...
    Down with the Hat

• Watch Your Language

Disney, the world’s largest media company, won government approval to build its first theme park in mainland China, its fourth outside the U.S. The Magic Kingdom-style park will be built in three phases covering 11 square kilometers (2,718 acres), according to Shanghai Securities News, and force about 5,000 families in Chuansha county to relocate, villagers said.
    Source : Bloomberg

So according to Bloomberg, Disney Shanghai will be built in 3 phases covering 11 sq. kilometers (2,718 acres).

But how big the actual park is, we still don't know. the figure quoted above, i believe is for the size of the whole resort.

and some hongkong newspapers said the park (for the 1st phase) would cover 100 acres.

to give you an idea how big is 11 sq. kilometers or 2,718 acres:

Total site area of Hong Kong International Airport = 12.55 sq. kilometer = 1,255 hectares = 3,101 acres

so Disney Shanghai's 2,718 acres (the whole resort covering 3 phases) is just little smaller than total airport site area of the Chek Lap Kok island (Hong Kong International airport)'s 3,101 acres.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 11-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.

This early in the design process, I don't think they have the final size down yet. 100 acres seems perfect though. That's comparable to the Magic Kingdom, and considering it probably won't have as many attractions as the MK when it opens, it wouldn't be wise to make it any larger.