Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

My Shangai Park Centerpiece

Just for fun, I put together a very rough photoshop of a centerpiece idea for the Shanghai park:

It incorporates the following ideas:

and

So the idea is to have a centerpiece mountain with a masculine fortress at its base. The rockwork of the mountain takes the subtle shape of dragons, like DCA's Grizzly Peak. This is of course in deference to the dragon's place in Chinese mythology. The fortress chambers could be explored and the mountain itself would contain a super-E ticket thrill ride.

Here it is:

The matte paintings I shopped are from Prince Caspian (castle), Dylan Cole (waterfall), and Blizzard Entertainment (dragons).

Thoughts?

• Dreamer

Re: My Shangai Park Centerpiece

I don't know, this doesn't seem very iconic to me. It would work well in a smaller version as part of a land, but for the centerpiece it has to be the castle alone, maybe even placed on a cliff.

Imagine the entire Disneyland park built like it was partially lifted from the ground, with crevices between the lands and lots of waterfalls on the sides. Different kind of bridges connecting the areas- Great, now my imagination is going... I'll need to write this down.

• Minion

^

i like the approach to your vision Randy, I would also like to see the Shanghai park stray away from the Magic Kingdom mold. In another thread i had suggested even using the next Alice in Wonderland movie as a possible idea. The Castle in that movie has a majestic yet different approach to what we have seen done. The walkways leading to the entrance of the castle could be made to reflect the idea that you are entering a garden into wonderland. Lots of water in the area, the castle a bit elevated against a rocky landscape and a long rock bridge leading to the castle gate.

• Cool Yule

I can see them using the "film castle" - great way to promote the new films it will be in front of.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    In another thread i had suggested even using the next Alice in Wonderland movie as a possible idea. The Castle in that movie has a majestic yet different approach to what we have seen done. The walkways leading to the entrance of the castle could be made to reflect the idea that you are entering a garden into wonderland. Lots of water in the area, the castle a bit elevated against a rocky landscape and a long rock bridge leading to the castle gate.
    I think that would be very cool. Here is an image of that castle in cast people haven't seen it:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That would be worth the trip to see this.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

I don't think SHDL could have a castle at that scale, or even something similar due to the park's proposed size. remember, SHDL is smaller than HKDL so just imagine how much Disney could fit in with that much space.

Quote Originally Posted by hkdlfan View Post
    I don't think SHDL could have a castle at that scale, or even something similar due to the park's proposed size. remember, SHDL is smaller than HKDL so just imagine how much Disney could fit in with that much space.
    Well it also depends on if they decide to use it for something more than a prop...like a restaurant or a walkthrough attraction

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by hkdlfan View Post
    you just want HKDL to not be the smallest DL anymore! hahaha! :P jk

yeah, as of how the size looks to be, I don't see how the castle will fit, but you never now... It may still turn out bigger, nothing is final.

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I think that would be very cool. Here is an image of that castle in cast people haven't seen it:

Now that is more like it. I could see them go in that direction for the next castle.

I would love to see them use that castle. The bridge entrance and the landscaping would look great. Once past the castle the area could be set-up to have a very intriguing garden. Instead of the carousel being the center point after passing the castle we see lots of lanterns and large roses and mushrooms and smack center of this the tea cups. Other pathways lead guests to the rest of fantasyland. These nicely landscaped paths lead guests to other fantastyland darkrides.

WDI should concentrate on building darkrides that would be unique to that park. Beauty and the beast, rapunzel, sleeping beauty and maybe even a Pixie Hollow walkthru that leads to neverland for Peter Pan attraction.

I think it would be interesting if the Shanghai fantasyland included more water than any of the other Magic kingdoms. Almost as if all these fairytales are in small Islands. Imagine the gateway being the castle Guest walk through the castle and over a bridge to the center point of fantsyland which would be the teacups and castle garden. Once on this small island pathways all around lead to the different sections of fantasyland which create a half circle around the castle garden. Similar to the layout for DAK and the tree of life or the hub in Disneyland.

Also imagine if that arch on the right side of the castle was a walkway. the views of the park would be incredible. The rockwork seen on the left could be thunder mountain which would create a barrier of the rest of adventureland.

Tomorrowland should be completely eliminated from the park and WDI should come up with a new land that would better fit the direction they have been going. Like i mentioned before, I would not mind a rebirth of sci-fi city incoporating ideas that they have been working on for tokyo. a land where they could use Wall-E and maybe even properties from their marvel collection. Space mountain would still be built but with a whole new storyline even TOT could be built in this new land but instead of using the same storyline of a hotel change it to fit the sci-fi theme
    Last edited by Baloo; 11-29-2009 at 12:12 PM.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: My Shangai Park Centerpiece

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ^
    I not sure about the Ideal?
    But it does make a great DESKTOP!
    THANKS
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Banned User

Well probably get DLP's castle in Shanghai. Remember, China is all about knockoffs.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I'm thinking Mulan's castle...
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast