Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why oh why???

• Banned User

Why oh why???

Why build yet another unneeded DL park in Asia?? Boo hoo!!!

Why not call it SuperDL and add a supermarket to it, and pharmacy.

Did they not learn from the European fiasco?

Re: Why oh why???

The more the better

I do get your point though...

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

It is going to be successful still!

• ...is busy, please hold.

I'm with TDLFAN on this one, all of this money should be going to poor baby HKDL.
    Disney should instead,as its been said a millionth and one times before, build upon the parks they have and save up for the next big thing. And,mind you, the next big thing should be original and out of the box like a Disneyland Rio de Janeiro.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Minion

Disagree - IMO Shanghai DL will be the best thing Disney has done in a while.

It is probably also going to be the savior of HKDL, by giving the execs there the kick in the proverbial rear that they needed.

Ignoring the heart of what in a few decades will be the world's largest economy would be plain dumb on Disney's part.
    Down with the Hat

Disney always wanted to build SHDL. Tung Chee-Hwa saw that and put a huge carrot in front of them to build HKDL. But the stupid thing was he never made any demands for HKDL's size, development plan, exclusivity...etc. So Disney built him a replica of Anaheim minus most of the attractions.

Disney has now got what it truly wanted in the first place.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    Disney always wanted to build SHDL. Tung Chee-Hwa saw that and put a huge carrot in front of them to build HKDL. But the stupid thing was he never made any demands for HKDL's size, development plan, exclusivity...etc. So Disney built him a replica of Anaheim minus most of the attractions.

Disney has now got what it truly wanted in the first place.
    IMHO, it was really a timing issue. It was a different scenario now than in 1999 when they (HK Gov and WDC) made an agreement on building HKDL Resort. The design and the pre-planning of HKDL was way back in late 1990's and early 2000's, and their forecast was based on previous visitors data. They never knew that Central Gov China relaxed the travel restrictions on mainland chinese to Hong Kong SAR after the 2003 SAR Crisis.Visitors to Hong Kong almost doubles over the past 10 years. Now it's almost 30 million per year. It was a miscalculation on their part and they have to pay a price for building it so small. Hong Kong has a huge foreign reserve now, in a much better financial position than they made the agreement with WDC in 1999. If they build HKDL now, the situation would definitely be different.

would history repeat itself, we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 11-08-2009 at 11:54 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dead_Mau5 View Post
    And,mind you, the next big thing should be original and out of the box like a Disneyland Rio de Janeiro.
    Mickey doesn't want the competition from pickpocketers.

I bet this is what many people thought of Tokyo Disney being built. Though at the end look where we have went with the brilliance and technology we have adapted from this Disney creation.

I don't know, I'm kind of excited. HKDL is not unique in any way. Even if it has charm and a good location, the design is all derivative or copied. I feel that Shanghai will be the true successor to Disneyland Paris, the next evolution of the Disneyland concept.

This new park certainly has potential! They have a good amount of space and money, and I'm sure they will think up some great ideas! The pollution will be a problem, though...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    I don't know, I'm kind of excited. HKDL is not unique in any way. Even if it has charm and a good location, the design is all derivative or copied. I feel that Shanghai will be the true successor to Disneyland Paris, the next evolution of the Disneyland concept.
    To be honest, I'm not sure if they will ever improve the Magic Kingdom model beyond what they designed in Disneyland Paris. That park was created when the WDC was unafraid to needlessly pour money over the smallest details. Until Tokyo DisneySea, Disneyland Paris was the most elaborate and lavish Disney park ever built. Both of those parks used only the finest materials (stone, marble, Italian tile, etc) during their construction and an incredible emphasis was placed on architecture and craftsmanship (especially in the case of Tokyo DisneySea).

That kind of spending just for the sake of theming is something we will probably never see in a Disney park again, and I believe even the OLC has regretted spending that much money just on the ornate architecture/design of their second gate. I have no doubt that Shanghai Disneyland will be impressive among the Magic Kingdoms, but I don't think it will top the visual richness and elegance of Disneyland Paris.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

^^ I don't think a Disney park has to use such expensive materials to be great. The original in Anaheim doesn't...any theming which matches the quality of that park (except for current Tomorrowland) is just fine by me. Not that I mind the more expensive materials...
    Down with the Hat

• Bangarang!

OK, so its not great that they're going to expand in China while HKDL still has issues, but if SDL is its own park, (with its own visual style like Paris or completely unique theme like TDS) then surely its not a bad thing?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I have no doubt that Shanghai Disneyland will be impressive among the Magic Kingdoms, but I don't think it will top the visual richness and elegance of Disneyland Paris.
    What do you generally find in common in all products made in China?

Compared to items made in France, for example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast