Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Shanghainese upset with SDL size

In related news, Micechat Armchair Imagineers upset by physical restraints of reality. In other words, Shanghainese, SDL is just a blank slate right now for American and Western fans who have a lot of creativity and ideas for Disney parks in general. Some haven't been to other countries - fewer still have been to China. The culture, demographics and make-up of the parks hasn't been fully considered or understood.

Chinese don't have 4 kid families, SUVs and DVDs of Cinderella at home?

Well that changes things a little, doesn't it?

If it's 2 parents and 1 child, more frequently a boy, they come by train and are used to A small apt., you won't need as many hotel suites, parking spaces or Princess meet and greets. More adventurous attractions like Star Tours and Indiana Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Why wouldn't they be? I'm happy, my friends can't call HKDL the "smallest place on Earth" for a change.
    this made me chuckle

Just thought I'd post lol
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqDmklKUp_U"]YouTube - Shanghai Disneyland To Be Smallest Park[/ame]

Because, you know, Shanghai has all kinds of space to build a Walt Disney World sized resort. (sarcasm)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

They actually have a huge tract set aside for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I wonder if they are confusing the numbers of the actual park and total resort.
    Now SCMP (South China Morning Post) is reporting that National Development and Reform Commission has ruled out expansion after the initial phase of Shanghai Mini-disney. Can we assume that Shanghai Disney is gonna put a full park at the initial construction? Unlike HKDL they built a 1/2 park and relied on expansion to become a full park. I got the suspicion that Shanghai Disney at opening is gonna be the same size as the current HKDL.

• Banned User

Maybe they should call this project "Shrinkhai Disneyland Resort", or better yet, why build it at all?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I wonder if they are confusing the numbers of the actual park and total resort.
    Yeah it seems that they are. And it doesn't surprise me that they can't understand that Tokyo's resort took 20 years to become what it is, and are expecting 400 developed acres all at once. It often seems they have trouble imagining things, and need to be walked through things step by step. Well if the step by step ends with an opening date that doesn't show 400 acres completely built up, well...I am not surprised they are jumping on it.

Especially when nothing is announced/confirmed or shown yet. Boy...they've already learned from us American fans well.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    they can't understand that Tokyo's resort took 20 years to become what it is, and are expecting 400 developed acres all at once.
    Tokyo Disneyland was a full fledged park when it opened. It earned its ears on day one and continued to grow and add attractions from that point. Hong Kong Disneyland wasn't even built to be half a park, catch up is difficult, expensive, and often results in loss of cohesive theme and jumbled layout.

The people of Shanghai should stand their ground and demand a substantial Disneyland park on opening day. Future Expansion is almost never what is promised at the time of initial construction. So they shouldn't count on future expansion happening soon or of any significant size.

Disney Corp should also be wary of yet another Disney park failure on opening day. Which this one could certainly become if the locals turn against the project before it even opens.

I think that's why we saw the recent news about Oriental Land Company possibly joining this project. They are looking for partners and money to give this project a bigger start. And that would be a very wise move.

Build it right, or don't build it at all. Disney needs to learn from its own mistakes of the past.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Tokyo Disneyland was a full fledged park when it opened.
    Yes it was, I never said it wasn't. I'm talking resort size. Tokyo opened with nothing outside of a park. Its 3 hotels, Ikspari and second gate took 20 years (give or take).

Shanghai can open with a small resort and have a full-fledged park. They can also have a giant resort and have a half-day park (see Animal Kingdom).

And we're talking Hectares. That's 286 acres. Disney's original purchase for Disneyland was only 160 acres. That certainly isn't a huge size, but it is functional for hotels and a park and transportation access. Look at Hong Kong's size. There is plenty of space for the park to expand to, both inside and outside the current train tracks. All that space was counted towards the "resort size" since day one...even though the park's constructed area was small.

We (and...well "they") can't learn anything about a park's size from learning the resort size. It could go either way without changing the number they quoted in that article.

• Artistic integrity

If the Magic Kingdom park is going to be modest in attraction count .. that's one thing.

But after seeing the photo in the newer thread ... I'm very skeptical about all this .. as the layout looks way too similar to HKDL's size. The DLRR track is keeping the inner park very small .. while the outer side seems already "pegged in" by other infrastructure laid out in that photo.

They have to design this "magic kingdom" park like WDW's. With the DLRR track laid out in a big enough perimeter .. so there's plenty of room for attractions.

The way it's looking though .. it seems Disney is not learning their lessons.

If DCA, WDSP, and HKDL was not enough .. in terms of building very, very modestly .. then this comes along.

What was that line? Penney wise, Pound foolish .. or something like that?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1994 View Post
    You may have a small park but it is a pretty nice one considering its size. It'll grow up and look better one day.

I really liked the idea of the IOA concept for Shanghai.. I wish they would go all out and build it like that.

P.s, sorry for the double post.
    Can you link me to the IOA concept? I've never heard it.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Sock Puppet

Arrow Re: Shanghainese upset with SDL size

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    In related news, Micechat Armchair Imagineers upset by physical restraints of reality. In other words, Shanghainese, SDL is just a blank slate right now for American and Western fans who have a lot of creativity and ideas for Disney parks in general. Some haven't been to other countries - fewer still have been to China. The culture, demographics and make-up of the parks hasn't been fully considered or understood.

Chinese don't have 4 kid families, SUVs and DVDs of Cinderella at home?

Well that changes things a little, doesn't it?

If it's 2 parents and 1 child, more frequently a boy, they come by train and are used to A small apt., you won't need as many hotel suites, parking spaces or Princess meet and greets. More adventurous attractions like Star Tours and Indiana Jones.
    After California Adventure, Walt Disney Studios, and Hong Kong Disneyland, we're all reasonably concerned about the size of the park and the possibility that this could be another failure. No need to insult MiceChatters or Disney fans for expressing that.

Parks like Tokyo Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom in Florida were a rousing success since opening because they built it right the first time and subsequently expanded upon a successful park. Opening a low capacity half-park, only to wait every few years for a new land or attraction to open after a budget has been allocated and plans are set as you proposed won't work and never has. Within the time period it takes for the park to grow up to par (which could take several years or decades), the park will under-perform, less people will visit, and the park consequently won't be profitable, facing the possibilities of debt and bankruptcy like we saw in Hong Kong. But Disney seems to be stubbornly sticking to this failed model of "developing step by step in line with market response" while "people's curiosity help boost attendance." I say, why not build it right the first time?

It's not a question of adapting to China either - Disney adapted their theme park model in Hong Kong to the "culture, demographics, and make-up" just fine (maybe even too much…shark fin soup), but it ultimately wasn't a success because the park, not measures towards cultural adaptation, was inadequate.

The objective of building parks in China isn't to make Disney fans happy, we know; it's part of a long-term plan by the corporate Disney empire to permeate into the fast-growing China market. Building theme parks is obviously a risky investment, and the downsizing of the Shanghai park from the previous grand 400-acre resort probably reveals that Disney is going back to the failed old model of building cheap half-parks, only to later invest millions of dollars in expansion plans and new attractions when they could've done it right in the first place. There's still hope that the actual substance within the small park could be good, though, and I'm looking forward to more concept artwork and details as plans for Shanghai solidify...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12