Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• HKDL fan

Shanghainese upset with SDL size

Taken from CriEnglish.com

Size Matters: City Crushed by Smaller Disneyland Plan
    In its fervent bid to become a global financial center, China's largest city thinks big and engages in gigantic projects.

People in Shanghai must now contend with a massive disappointment.

When the proposal to build a Disneyland park was approved earlier this month, people in Shanghai embraced the prospect of the world's biggest Mickey Mouse playground. Instead, the latest plan would make it the world's smallest Disneyland Park.

In a brief note, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) mandated an area of 116 hectares in Pudong New Area in eastern Shanghai for the project. It is a far cry from the 400 hectares widely reported by the media.

Unsurprisingly, Shanghai people are disappointed.

"I cannot believe this," exclaimed Yu Weihua, an employee with China Travel Service. "It's almost one-tenth the size of the Disney World in Orlando in America. It's even going to be smaller than the one in Hong Kong after the expansion."

To be precise, Tokyo's Disney Resort covers 201 hectares, nearly twice the proposed site in Shanghai. Hong Kong's park, the smallest in the world, takes up 126 hectares.

While city folks lament the loss of bragging rights, the villagers in the vicinity of the proposed site are also upset. The smaller-than-expected site could mean that many will lose out on claiming relocation compensation.

The compensation is not small change. A plot of land close to the proposed site of the project was sold at a hotly contested auction for 1.19 billion yuan ($174 million), or a princely sum of 14,000 yuan per sq m, close to the average land price of 17,000 yuan in urban districts.

All is not lost yet. Tiffany Huang, communications officer of the Shanghai-based Walt Disney Co of China, said she just heard the news of the NDRC decision.

But, she added, "I don't think it's final," stating that no firm agreement between the Shanghai government and Disney has been concluded yet.

"It is too early to comment based on current information," Huang said.

According to the NDRC's notice, apart from the theme park, the Chuansha plot will also include a parking lot, public utilities and supporting areas.

"The area of 116 hectares is just the core part, and just like Hong Kong, which has been expanding its Disneyland since December, there will also be an expansion around the core area to accompany the growing number of visitors," said Wang Dawu, professor with Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, who viewed the news optimistically.

It looks like China themselves are not that optimistic about Disneyland though.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: Shanghainese upset with SDL size

Why wouldn't they be? I'm happy, my friends can't call HKDL the "smallest place on Earth" for a change.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, if the Shanghai Disneyland project had enough attractions included within the actual park, it wouldn't really matter what the total acreage amounted to be. When they start listing the number of attractions for opening day, THAT's what will be the decidng factor as to how big or how small the place really is.

I hope they realize that people want a larger resort and take that into consideration!
    -Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by hkdlfan View Post
    Why wouldn't they be? I'm happy, my friends can't call HKDL the "smallest place on Earth" for a change.
    You may have a small park but it is a pretty nice one considering its size. It'll grow up and look better one day.

I really liked the idea of the IOA concept for Shanghai.. I wish they would go all out and build it like that.

P.s, sorry for the double post.
    -Tyler

I wonder if they are confusing the numbers of the actual park and total resort.

Now SCMP (South China Morning Post) is reporting that National Development and Reform Commission has ruled out expansion after the initial phase of Shanghai Mini-disney. Can we assume that Shanghai Disney is gonna put a full park at the initial construction? Unlike HKDL they built a 1/2 park and relied on expansion to become a full park. I got the suspicion that Shanghai Disney at opening is gonna be the same size as the current HKDL.

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    Now SCMP (South China Morning Post) is reporting that National Development and Reform Commission has ruled out expansion after the initial phase of Shanghai Mini-disney. Can we assume that Shanghai Disney is gonna put a full park at the initial construction? Unlike HKDL they built a 1/2 park and relied on expansion to become a full park. I got the suspicion that Shanghai Disney at opening is gonna be the same size as the current HKDL.

All recent parks have been half built- including Hong Kong.

one hundred and one

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    All recent parks have been half built- including Hong Kong.
    And look how well that did for them...

HK was also the only "main" park to be half built, all of the others had a Disneyland park as a main destination, so it was easier to set up discounts, etc. to go to the other park.

Quote Originally Posted by mclubber View Post
    I'm really confused by this... Does it mean they won't be allowed to expand AT ALL after phase 1? Has the original 400 hectare Multi-phase plan dissolved?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think the Shainghainese shouldn't believe everything they read on micechat.com and vice versa.

From what I can tell, Phase I will open with a HKDL sized park, perhaps with Tokyo scale walkways for future massive crowds when Phase II can be built.

Eventually, they will expand to a DL Paris Resort sized property. And they will have the capacity of taking in WDW or TDR numbers.

Can't they open it all at once, as Micechat bloggers want?!?!

Sure, if you want to wait 20 years to open. Or, as the first phase of attractions are up and running, start selling tickets and even if you underwhelm for a few years those who know mature Disney properties, most of your audience has never seen something like this before. Their kids aren't getting any younger and they want to go now! Heck, if they sold tickets to the site while it was just finishing construction and NO rides were open, many Disneygeeks like myself would want to go just to that.

All of this points to opening what we'd call a 1/2 park - if they keep construction of Phase II going right after the "grand opening" people can choose when they want to visit. Have 3 new rides open each subsequent year for 10 years.

Repeat interest would be piqued and people could all reach the point where it's worth it to them to visit, based on the attraction opening schedule.

And still gives imagineers the chance to cancel one thing and do another, based on guest feedback and what new things are brewing at WD Pictures and WDI.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    All of this points to opening what we'd call a 1/2 park - if they keep construction of Phase II going right after the "grand opening" people can choose when they want to visit. Have 3 new rides open each subsequent year for 10 years.

The problem is that happened in HK, but attendance wasn't where it was supposed to be, so instead of building grand attractions and expanding year after year, they have only added one (?) so far, with the new additions only adding a few more...

If they want to do this right they should add a decent level of attractions at the beginning and still add major attractions, 1 every year or two. And please don't make the majority of the opening attractions and addition off the shelf carnival rides...

With that being said, I think it is too early to criticize the project yet until we see the actual details when they're officially announced. There's not much really set in stone yet.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The level of political intrigue and jealousy is in multibillion dollar levels.

Industrialists who want Shanghai to be the NY of the Orient don't want to accept a "small" Disney park - Hong Kong is a threat to their status.

So Disney park maniacs who want WDW resorts in every market on opening day are going to feed a clash of the Industrial titans.

With what is currently being proposed, would Disney purchase all the land for the Resort to expand upon now, and simply leave it undeveloped? Or would they just buy the land needed for the first phase now and acquire more as they expand?

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think the partnership buys the phase I plot and options on phase II and III lands.

Someone should explain that the baby is always the smallest and takes longest to mature.

That said has anyone given any consideration to the fact that most Chinese couples only have one child, most likely a boy into Marvel heroes than Disney princesses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast