• Minion

Mainland China Already Adept at Building Themeparks

This behemoth is called Crystal Wings and opened in 2006 at Happy Valley Beijing. It is a B&M superman-style coaster that circumnavigates the Holy Crystal Castle - which looks to reach a pinnacle of ~200ft.

While it doesn't appear to have the story, effects or detailing of an Everest or a Big Thunder Mountain, the enormous scale of the castle (and it's decent quality faux-rockwork) is jaw-dropping.

Seeing this confirms that Disney is going to have to bring their A-game if they want to impress mainland Chinese - who have already experienced mega-scale, themed attractions and may also have negative preconceptions of a Disney park thanks to the blunders made when (under)building HKDL.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 12-08-2009 at 12:05 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Mainland China Already Adept at Building Themeparks

the first and last pictures look awesome. The coloring in the middle two looks a little odd, but from the ground it looks great. Disney will really need to step it up. great find (was that from Orlando United? or vice versa?)

• Choir nerd

I don't really think that this is all that great of theming at all. Although its an amazing sight, the ride doesn't really seem to be themed to anything, and the coaster is just there. On BTMR, the tracks are right in the ground, and someone could easily believe that it is actually a mine train. On Space Mt., you can't see the tracks so most anyone could believe that they are in space. However, on this thing, you're clearly on a suspended roller coaster. If Disney does this park RIGHT, they'll have no problem.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    great find (was that from Orlando United? or vice versa?)
    Saw it for the first time on OU.

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    I don't really think that this is all that great of theming at all. Although its an amazing sight, the ride doesn't really seem to be themed to anything, and the coaster is just there. On BTMR, the tracks are right in the ground, and someone could easily believe that it is actually a mine train. On Space Mt., you can't see the tracks so most anyone could believe that they are in space. However, on this thing, you're clearly on a suspended roller coaster.
    I agree, but ignoring the un-themed coaster - the castle itself is impressive and done with a scale/quality that only Disney has attempted before - and at that only a handful of times (Everest, Tower of Terror, Prometheus).

This thing opened my eyes to the fact the Disney can't go into China with things like Raging Spirits (once planned for HKDL) and expect the Chinese to be impressed.

They've been around the block.