Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Report: Shanghai Disneyland will be partially built on a former cemetery

Disneyland in China built on cemetery

Mickey Mouse and ghosts may not be the first things that come to mind when one mentions Disneyland as authorities plan to move 1,200 graves found on the construction site of the mainland’s first Disney theme park.

Chinese authorities are trying to move 1,200 tombs from the future site of the planned Disney theme park in Shanghai before construction begins, state media said on Thursday. The municipal government has offered compensation to the families of the deceased to help them bury their ancestors elsewhere, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing cemetery officials. Villagers in Chuansha county on the city's eastern outskirts will receive 300 yuan (US$60) for each relative moved to a new burial ground, the newspaper reported. The Shanghai government and Disney announced last month that authorities in Beijing had approved the theme park, which would be one of the biggest-ever foreign investments in China.
    Disneyland in China built on cemetery - Society - Panorama | Armenian news

• Seasick

Re: Report: Shanghai Disneyland will be partially built on a former cemetery

If it were me, I'd want to stay buried under Disneyland. Better than a commenorative brick.

However, the notion of moving people from their burial spot to make way for a theme park certainly raises a few ethical and moral questions...
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Here's an interesting quote from the Shanghai Daily

Chinese families will move the graves of their ancestors if they believe the new location is better. People believe that a good burial place will bless future generations.
    Eastday-Disney locked into grave issue

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I could see how this could be used against Disney by opponents of Shanghai DL.

• Galactic Member

$60.00 to move a grave?

• Here Kitty, Kitty...

$60 does not seem like alot for all the pain and suffering that would be involded in that...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That's about the equivalent of a one day / one park pass.

• Pongo is my hero.

Jinx Scoobs! Shanghai Disneyland is haunted!

one hundred and one

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Dinah View Post
    $60 does not seem like alot for all the pain and suffering that would be involded in that...
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That's about the equivalent of a one day / one park pass.
    Better than having to volunteer for a day to get in for free?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah I doubt they'll introduce that promotion into the Shanghai Park.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Good thing I don't believe in ghosts. :O

i don't think they will have to much problem with this. The people in the area have been wishing for the park to be built. The compensation they will be receiving for the land as well as the relocation is something they have been looking for the last 10+ years since the rumor of the park started

• Cars Land Rocks!

If you go back far enough there are probably many things here in the US built on old burial grounds. Though I agree the compensation seems small.

• Future Cast Member :)

That would be kinda weird being there and knowing dead people used to be there... lol

• Iron-Clad Allie

The situation appears rather grave. The decenants may have a bone or two to pick with Disney. Here! Fetch, Pluto!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast