Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible Attractions

This is my list of possible attractions for shanghai:

Since the chinese only know the new disney characters and not the classic ones I think we should expect

Toy Story Land- with midway mania as the main attraction

Since meets and greets is a big thing over there, and a fantasyland is a must in every MK i assume they are getting

Fantasyland Forest + Philarmagic and Winnie the pooh

they will also get a Main Street USA

possibly a tomorrowland with space mountain and autopia same as HK

adventureland with pirates of the caribbean, jungle cruise and FOLK.

your opinions? anything else they might get?

Re: Possible Attractions

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Mainstreet USA won't be the entrance.
    Last edited by Giraffe Lounge; 03-16-2010 at 09:46 AM.

• Choir nerd

Probably no Pirates for the same reason as HKDL. What is FOLK?

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    What is FOLK?
    Festival of the Lion King: Combination circus/musical revue based on The Lion King, in HKDL Adventureland and DAK Camp Minnie-Mickey.

I agree Main Street USA maybe not being the entrance.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

I'm voting for 3 lands: Main Street (loaded with shops that have merchandise), Fantasyland (only Winnie the Pooh, Philarmagic, Dumbo, and Carousel), and Toon Town (Meet n Greets). It will be management's wet dream!

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    I'm voting for 3 lands: Main Street (loaded with shops that have merchandise), Fantasyland (only Winnie the Pooh, Philarmagic, Dumbo, and Carousel), and Toon Town (Meet n Greets). It will be management's wet dream!
    I knew ICe was on his way. Should've called it!

I doubt they'll have a Toon Town. If they do, it will probably be radically different. WDW's Fair is out the door, Disneyland's is decaying and Tokyo just got it because Disneyland's was popular for a few years.

If they do a Tomorrowland, I'd rather that they base it off the 1994 WDW Tomorrowland than Discoveryland/1998 DL. Based on what I've seen, HKDL's is kind of more child-like and whimsical. I just like the idea of an intergalactic community with a back story, (if WDW would maintain that story!)

However, Tomorrowland seems highly unlikely based on Shanghai's environment, so I could see a different land being added in Tomorrowland's place. I'd like to see a kind-of Big City USA (like the one originally planned for DL,) similar to the New York part of Tokyo DisneySEA. It might compliment Main Street USA.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Disney Fan & Musician

Yeah, I highly doubt there will be a Main Street USA. :/
    they'll go on the cheap. Just watch.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Yeah, I highly doubt there will be a Main Street USA. :/
    they'll go on the cheap. Just watch.
    Toy Story Street!

• WDW CP Spring 2013

I reall wish Disney could change the formula when they build these Magic Kingdom-style parks. But I guess, why fix what ain't broke?

• Minion

^It is broke, as demonstrated by HKDL having never met its very conservative attendance targets and operating at a loss (in hundreds of millions of HK$) every year since opening.

The original poster's attraction list is basically a carbon copy of HKDL. To model the Shanghai park on the short-term financial failure that is HKDL would be monumentally idiotic.

Cloning makes economic sense because it saves R&D and fabrication dollars, but there are scores of attractions/lands Disney could clone for Shanghai without repeating anything that appears in Hong Kong.

Cloning HKDL stuff in Shanghai hurts in a number of ways:
    1. Weakens uniqueness of both parks and fosters "seen one, seen 'em all" mentality among any Chinese who might otherwise visit both parks (with the understanding that they are anticipating local audiences).
    2. Repels Shanghai politicians and public who want to avoid the mistakes made in HK (i.e., reputation for there being too little to do).
    3. Gives the park a poor reputation before it even opens its gates ("They built the same stuff they did in Hong Kong.")

Right now, Shanghai is a hugely ambitious city - similar to New York of the 1920s. They just invested $45 billion for a six-month World Expo. I can't imagine Shanghai officials not insisting on an impressive, successful Disney park from the outset. That means plenty of big, new (to China), and relevant stuff. They've been playing up the "we'll be smaller that HKDL" line (possibly at the behest of TWDC), when the land allotted for the first park is essentially the size of the entire HKDL property.

I believe that when the deal is finalized, there will be a lot for themepark (and Marvel) fans to be excited about.

Unfortunately, in the short term, I think Disney/Shanghai may try to downplay a park that is 6+ years away, until HKDL is on better footing with its own expansion and attendance figures. That means we may not see or learn many details about Shanghai until the project is well underway (i.e. years from now).

Reccomendations:
    They won't get Main Street, so build a recreation of Chinatown at San Francisco. Would be appropriate to the country
    For the castle, I think a Walmart would work better. Make people pay fees for walking through it from one land to another.
    Instead of Adventureland, build Souvenirland. No rides needed. Think of the marketing potential!
    Instead of Frontierland, build Restaraunt Land. Prices can get jacked up way high!
    Instead of Tomorrowland, build Advertisingland. Just fill it up with billboards and you should be good.
    Now, we need rides or people will make fun of us, so put in Attractionland instead of Fantasyland. Put in clones of Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Stitch's Great Escape, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (Look into the possibility of doing this one without water to decrease budget), Innoventions (try to get the companies willing to pay us the most money), Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management, It's A Small World (remove all animatronics that aren't disney characters for added marketing value, change the song to something that's less damn irritating, and make the language English-only. We don't want complaints from people who don't understand. Also see the note next to FNSV), Pirates of the Carribean (but Yo Ho Ho isn't very popular, so replace it with a Red Hot Chili Peppers Song and change all of the animatronics in the ride to cardboard cutouts of Jack Sparrow), and finally the Dumbo Ride (but change it to the Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers Ride instead). Finally, since every Disney Park needs a mountain, and we can't have people complain that it's ALL promotions, put in Mullholland Madness Mountain. It would be like Mullholland Madness, but with less money put into maintenence. I don't think there's a Chinese version of OSHA.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

The original poster's attraction list is basically a carbon copy of HKDL. To model the Shanghai park on the short-term financial failure that is HKDL would be monumentally idiotic.
    They'll do it any ways, you need two things to be a DisneyParks Corporate.
    1. The mindset that originality costs money you don't have, and thought outside the master mold is pipe dreamed heresy & 2. the lack of a human soul.

They don't care!
    Last edited by dead_Mau5; 03-17-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

This is why I made my reccomendation.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

from what i hear isnt it initially suppose to be the same size or smaller than HKDL??

• Minion

^ It is not yet known but the media have consistently garbled park acreage versus resort acreage - comparing apples & oranges. The resort is 2x the size of HKDL. The opening phase (does that mean park, park+facilities, etc.?) is slightly smaller than the entire HKDL resort property (minus phase 2 landfill).

They'll do it any ways, you need two things to be a DisneyParks Corporate.
    1. The mindset that originality costs money you don't have, and thought outside the master mold is pipe dreamed heresy & 2. the lack of a human soul.

They don't care!
    I understand current Disney Park execs are in love with cost-cutting & cloning... but the Chinese are savvy business people. I don't see the Shanghai partners, who are very aware of what has happened in Hong Kong, going for a HKDL Part II.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast