Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

My Conceptual Site Plan for SDL

EDIT: Making revisions
    Last edited by RandySavage; 07-18-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Re: My Conceptual Site Plan for SDL

Randy, I love seeing your work! I especially love seeing your ideas on putting new ride system twists on classic attractions. Your idea for Buccaneer Battle sounds great and I like how you spaced out all the dark rides instead of clumping them together in Fantasyland! Can't wait to see your next site plans!

• Minion

^ I'm glad you're enjoying them. I've got a bunch in the pipeline (5th gate for WDW, 2nd Gate for Hong Kong, 3rd Gates for Universal Orlando, Anaheim & Tokyo, Disney's America and what might have happened if Disney took over NYC's Coney Island) that I hope to share over the summer.

Here is another I did recently for Islands of Adventure (below should read "for IOA"):
    My Conceptual Site Plan for SDL
    Last edited by RandySavage; 06-10-2010 at 12:14 AM.

• Dreamer

Yes, yes, oh yes, yes, yes please and yes, yes, yes.

I love it! You managed to recreate the Magic Kingdom and keeping the traditional details, like the "haunted mansion" in a unique land - very smart choice, btw. My favorite is the bridge system, which would work well with the lagoon shows. I can even imagine them being decorated according to the land they lead to.

Looking at this plan, I do have an idea, though. Since every land is placed around the lagoon/lake, why not add a decorative port for each. Like, on one side you have a small, dreamy fantasy port and on the other side you'll find yourself in a retro-futuristic port with cranes in steampunk design. Basically, you could combine the Magic Kingdom with DisneySea.

Keep up the great work.

Absolutely incredible. I really hope that Shanghai Disneyland is built very much like this (But probably not, sadly). But there's one thing I'm confused about. Why did you include two kuka arm attractions? (Avengers and Disney Villains)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    Looking at this plan, I do have an idea, though. Since every land is placed around the lagoon/lake, why not add a decorative port for each. Like, on one side you have a small, dreamy fantasy port and on the other side you'll find yourself in a retro-futuristic port with cranes in steampunk design. Basically, you could combine the Magic Kingdom with DisneySea.
    I do have themed Steamer docks in three lands which sort of take that roll (and AL's Pirate cove area is basically a port), but I think it may be worthwhile to add your port idea (a docking area with boats, small buildings, cranes, etc themed to that particular land) where there is some room in the other lands.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitch101 View Post
    Absolutely incredible. I really hope that Shanghai Disneyland is built very much like this (But probably not, sadly). But there's one thing I'm confused about. Why did you include two kuka arm attractions? (Avengers and Disney Villains)
    Glad you like it. I think the Kuka arm is such a great step forward in ride tech (like the Hunny Hunt GPS or EMV before it) that there is room for more than one such ride system in any park, particularly if one is a more thrilling kuka robo-coaster, with drops and tight turns (Avengers) and the other runs on a Potter-like flat track (Villains).

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Randy, what can I say? Your artwork is really awesome, and I think that your ideas for this park are off-the-wall. Disneyland-type parks could use something like this, and I think you might have pulled it off.

• Minion

Great work as usual Randy.

I sorely hope that Disney will have learned from HKDL and go all-out on its Shanghai park, whenever it gets built. Otherwise the damage to its reputation in this major market may be set in stone.
    Down with the Hat

• Future Disney Imagineer

Amazing! I love it all.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

I quite like the Super Hero City plan. Certainly a worthwhile way to start introducing Marvel characters into parks. Especially with a big E-Ticket Kuka Arm ride.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• Minion

I've made some refinements to my conceptual site plan (adding ships to the lagoon, re-scaling attractions to the proper size, etc.). Here it is:

And to give it a rough size comparison to the other Magic Kingdom style parks I've done:

• Future Disney Imagineer

What are all the other Magic Kingdom style parks , and how would you use them? What are the major differences between them, and do you like your new one the best?

• Minion

^ They are my idealized/expanded versions of the 5 existing kingdoms, plus Shanghai and two original MK-styles:

DL, MK, TDL
    DLP, HKDL, SDL
    --, --

They are all designed to compliment each other (as well as their resort's 2nd, 3rd & 4th Gates) and showcase unique attractions & sub-lands, rather than overlap or clone. I tailored each to show how I might have directed the design of the parks in a Blue Sky World.

The thing I like about my Shanghai DL is that it takes the MK-style park in a radically new direction from the standard layout (seen in the other seven), but still retains some of the efficiency of the hub & spoke.

The one at the bottom center combines some of my favorite pieces from various parks around the world (IOA's Port of Entry, MK's Hub, MK's Fantasy Forest, Paris' Fantasyland & Adventureland (expanded), Tokyo's canceled Tomorrowland re-do, Tokyo's Frontierland, Tokyo's Critter Country & an original surrealistic/steampunk-ish mystery-based land based).
    Last edited by RandySavage; 06-16-2010 at 11:47 PM.

• Dreamer

All the photos won't show up. Do you have a direct link to your flickr album?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast