OLC may "cooperate" on Shanghai Disneyland

The owner of Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySEA may be involved in the development of the Shanghai resort.

Somewhat vaguely, they may "cooperate" which I guess could mean anything from acting as a consultant to being part owner.

From Bloomberg

Oriental Land Co., operator of the Tokyo Disney Resort, said it may cooperate with Walt Disney Co. on a planned Shanghai theme park.

“There’s a possibility we may work together with Disney on Shanghai,” Akiyoshi Yokota, executive director, said in an interview at company headquarters in Chiba prefecture, a Tokyo suburb. No details on cooperation were decided, he said.

Oriental Land has been talking about the planned theme park and exchanging information with Disney, Yokota said, without elaborating. Disney last year won Chinese government approval for a park in Shanghai that may be completed by 2014.

The Japanese theme park operator is looking to expand overseas while trying to attract tourists from China and other countries, as domestic customers spend less amid falling wages. The theme park in Shanghai, the mainland China’s richest city, will be Disney’s fourth outside the U.S.
    Interesting...

Re: OLC may "cooperate" on Shanghai Disneyland

Very interesting.

If you're the Shanghai government about to invest billions in a Disney park, this is what you see:

1. Every time TWDC has opened a theme park in a non-US market it has been a financial failure.

2. Every time the OLC has opened a theme park in a non-US market it has been a financial success.

Which company would you want part-owning/operating your venture? I wonder if OLC could come in as a part owner and operate the park... this could be a boon for SDL.

• Bangarang!

If I were Uncle Bob I'd ask "where do I sign?"

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

“Oriental Land has know-how to operate a theme park and develop attractions that fit locally.”
    The Shanghai project will include a Magic Kingdom-style theme park with characteristics tailored to the region, Disney said last year.
    Perhaps faced with what they might see as complicated negotiations with a foreign government and add to that the cultural differences (various protocols and extreme displays of politeness and sensitivities) MAYBE Burbank concluded that OLC was better equipped as a Japanese company (different culture than Chinese, to be sure), but they're probably even more 'polite' and 'self aware' of their manners than the Chinese, and American business people are more brash, pushy and expect to get their way.

So if OLC wanted to expand overseas and they are enjoying their licensing operations of Disney brands at home in Japan, this might be a way to cash in again on another franchise relationship, and it might be a way for Disney to not lose this business opportunity (being granted permission from the Chinese gvt to build a resort/park in mainland China - keep in mind movies, tv shows and other American entertainment are restricted and censored and sometimes banned). It might get them off the hook for the hard work of negotiations, allow OLC to help determine what needs they need to meet for the different audience mix and then send the Imagineers to the blue sky drawing boards to come up with a concept that addresses what they need.

• Minion

ORDDU: There was a time when the Disney Company was quite capable of opening new theme parks without so much help. It seems they've lost their touch after all these years. So, if that's the case, thank goodness for the Oriental Land Company and its ability to come to the rescue. Let's just hope they don't stop there. It would be wonderful if they would also help out with expansions of the Hong Kong park, along with the Florida Disney parks!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Very interesting.

If you're the Shanghai government about to invest billions in a Disney park, this is what you see:

1. Every time TWDC has opened a theme park in a non-US market it has been a financial failure.

2. Every time the OLC has opened a theme park in their home market of Japan it has been a financial success.
    ftfy

It remains to be seen if OLC can operate a successful park in CHINA, but it would seem they might be better at it than Burbank.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Japanese company (different culture than Chinese, to be sure), but they're probably even more 'polite' and 'self aware' of their manners than the Chinese, and American business people are more brash, pushy and expect to get their way.
    Once the facade is seen past, Japanese and Korean businessmen can be quite brutal.

And Americans are not as brash and pushy as Chinese can be.

I don't know what to make of this. I wouldn't say that Disney's overseas resorts have been financial failures, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was money only.

Disney always wants and needs financial partners for these new resorts, and OLC has been trying to expand beyond the Tokyo Disney Resort for years (see the small regional indoor park in Osaka that was canceled when the economy fell). I bet it comes to that. Especially being established partners. Some risk can be mitigated.

I think that Disney needs to put the focus on the cultures of the countries where they are going to develop... I think thats why the parks built by TWDC have been a financial failure. Of course, then when disney get involved inside the country they recognise their mistakes, it happens with DLRP and HKDL. And these rumors of SDL going to be the smallest park... I don't think so... :/ I can't believe disney making the same mistake of HKDL..

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Note that OLC said that they may cooperate with Disney but said nothing about the Chinese government.

My guess is that OLC isn't buying an equal partnership, but rather is going to be splitting Disney's ownership in the project.

But it does bode well for the future of this park. OLC is much more likely to open its purse for future enhancements than the Disney Company will be.

The big question is whether or not the Chinese will appreciate this intrusion from the Japanese. If the deal can be constructed in a way that makes the Chinese happy, then it could be a VERY good thing for Shanghai. Perhaps even mean that one of the more ambitious plans for the park can be constructed rather than the cheap-o plan they were going to go with.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    But it does bode well for the future of this park. OLC is much more likely to open its purse for future enhancements than the Disney Company will be.
    This idea that the Oriental Land Company just loves to spend money on the parks is a bit of a fallacy. Disney loves for them to spend the money too, and does not mind hypocritically pushing them to "maintain Disney standards".

^ It's not that OLC loves to spend money (they did nix their elaborate Tomorrowland & Fantasyland make-overs due to cost), but that TDR is OLC's primary business and lifeblood, so if OLC lets their parks go to hell and attendance drops, they don't have the luxury of falling back on media networks, studio entertainment, consumer goods, etc. It's all they've got.

Disney, as we know, is a media conglomerate and Disney Parks have often become an avenue to imprint "brand" on the consumer, i.e., princesses, pixies, pirates, HSM, Hannah Montana, Cars, in order to boost the more profitible divisions of the company (media/consumer products).

• Disney Fan & Musician

I really think that OLC should take ownership of DLR...
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Good points Randy and Lazyboy

• Banned User

Personally, I would love it if OLC took over the operation of ALL of the Disney resorts in the World and leave to WDC the duties of only making bad movies and designing the theme parks.

• Dreamer

OLC better take over, they know how TDR is run and they're culturally closer to the Chines, which allows them to adjust SDR's management accordingly.