Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreamer

SDL Construction may start in Nov 2010

Disney could start work on Shanghai as early as November 2010
    Disney could start building its planned theme park in Shanghai as early as November, a year after Chinese authorities gave the green light for the project, a report said on Tuesday.
    "Talks on the Disney project are in the final stages and the construction is expected to start as early as November," the China Business News reported, citing an unnamed source. The park would be Disney's fourth outside the United States and its third in Asia, after Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong the last to open in 2005.
    All major construction in Shanghai has been suspended until after the World Expo ends on October 31 as part of efforts to improve the city's air quality during the six-month event.
    The Shanghai government announced its long-awaited approval for the project in November last year after authorities in Beijing approved Disney's application.
    Neither side disclosed any figures or gave a timeframe for the project, but previous reports have said the US entertainment giant will invest 3.6 billion dollars in the 10-square-kilometre park.
    When asked about the report, Disney said it looked forward to being able to announce a final deal and a timeline for opening in the future.
    "Final discussions between Disney and the Shanghai government are not yet complete, and detailed negotiations to produce a final deal will continue for a number of months," a Hong Kong-based Disney spokeswoman told AFP in an email.
    I'm still a bit dubious about all the news coming from Shanghai, but I'm glad about any snippet thereof. Let's just hope this is true and we'll soon see some concept are to rant or cheer about.

• Bangarang!

Re: SDL Construction may start in Nov 2010

Well that is good news, especially if they want to make their deadline of 2014.

Of course until it comes from the Mouses mouth I guess we can't call this one under way.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• The Study of Wumbo

This is so frustrating. Has Disney even made the official announcement? They got whatever approval back months ago.

I remember when Jim Hill said that the plans were to announce the project right after the Beijing 2008 Olympics ended.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

I'm still not keen on the idea of another Disney resort right now. I think they should first fix up their troubled parks before they worry about another one.

• Future Disney Imagineer

Wooh it may start so soon!!! Then we'll finally hear the announcements and see some concept art, YAY!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    I'm still not keen on the idea of another Disney resort right now. I think they should first fix up their troubled parks before they worry about another one.

I agree. While it's great to see new ideas and concept art, and the rumors of OLC helping are encouraging, I think with the recent track record of new parks it makes me a little wary. Please build an absolutely amazing park Disney. And then please tell us this will be the last one. Too many will dilute the brand, IMO.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I agree. While it's great to see new ideas and concept art, and the rumors of OLC helping are encouraging, I think with the recent track record of new parks it makes me a little wary. Please build an absolutely amazing park Disney. And then please tell us this will be the last one. Too many will dilute the brand, IMO.
    There was a coversation about this a couple months ago, and I agree that they should stop building Magic Kingdom styled parks, at least for another 50 years, just add the secondary parks next door.

• Bangarang!

Shanghai really is the limit for new destinations. If they ever get the urge to build another park they can go right ahead and give third gates to DLR, Paris and Tokyo, followed by the second for Hong Kong.

So that's 4 parks in total, or another WDW, so thats enough to keep WDI occupied.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

Shanghai Disneyland construction has already began:

...ok not really.

My fear is another HKDL, a park that looks good but is small empty and not very unique. Imagineers have had a million thoughts and about a million dollars per ride to spend.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 07-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Shanghai Disneyland construction has already began:

...ok not really.

My fear is another HKDL, a park that looks good but is small empty and not very unique. Imagineers have had a million thoughts and about a million dollars per ride to spend.
    A million dollars per ride? I know your not sure about it, but try not to make us depressed . TLM at DCA is like 100 million dollars, and shanghai better have amazing and unique rides, and a unique castle. And there's nothing negative that can come up from the OLC "cooperating" with TSDL (team Shanghai DL)

• The Study of Wumbo

I remember hearing Jim Hill say before about how many times Imagineers have said "Let's build a Beauty and the Beast castle in the new park" or "Let's give Main Street a new theme," and then someone or they themselves will chicken out and they go the safe route. I'd like to see SDL go a unique direction, for once. That will sell me on it.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I remember hearing Jim Hill say before about how many times Imagineers have said "Let's build a Beauty and the Beast castle in the new park" or "Let's give Main Street a new theme," and then someone or they themselves will chicken out and they go the safe route. I'd like to see SDL go a unique direction, for once. That will sell me on it.
    There are some sketches on Tim Delaney's website that show that the Imagineers might not be afraid of doing something drastically different.

Tim J. Delaney Design

if you look at this sketch, you will see 3 different versions of a Main Street drew in 2008 for shanghai... Don't expect them to use it, but jus think that they ARE planning somethings special for this park

• Bangarang!

IMO Shanghai has to follow the beat of a different drum, just like Paris did. While its familiar it is quite different at times and that is what makes it unique.

It cannot be another love letter to Disneyland the way that HKDL ended up being (at least Main Street and the Castle).

Hong Kong certainly doesn't need that. However if they made SDL even a little bit "radical" or perhaps more reasonably "unique" it could eventually help HK as you give two different styles of experience without too much duplication. And therefore reason to visit both if you saw fit.

Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    There are some sketches on Tim Delaney's website that show that the Imagineers might not be afraid of doing something drastically different.

Tim J. Delaney Design

if you look at this sketch, you will see 3 different versions of a Main Street drew in 2008 for shanghai... Don't expect them to use it, but jus think that they ARE planning somethings special for this park
    I did look at them(really nice sketches too), one of them looks like it's from DHS, another one themed to the the 1950's and the third one looks woodisy. I hope it's one of these three or something else for SDL's Main Street.

Timekeeper

• Banned User

That "woodsy" Main Street would look nice with Rapunzel's tower as the "castle" icon for SDL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast