Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Haunted Mansion on Main Street?

Thats an awesome idea, I like the idea of a nifty Victrian/Edwardian era Manor akin to Hotel Hightower (basically the house I live in at the moment, made more regal and time specific ) since it'd best fit. Main Street for an E-Ticket sounds fantastic though, a great way to keep people in an often under appreciated area of the park.

• Not here to help

oh are those disneyland pics? where did you get them?
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Future Disney Imagineer

Is there a difference between Victorian and Edwardian architecture? Would you say Main Street is victorian while Hotel Hightower is more Edwardian?

Btw I love that concept art, never seen them before.

• The Study of Wumbo

I wished that Mystic Manor would be a Mansion... But it's not really quite so. Mystic Manor is less of a mansion than Tower of Terror TDS is of other towers.

A Mansion in Adventureland could be based off of the English and other imperialist colonies in African and Asian countries.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Minion

Yes IncrediBoy its more architecture, they're very similar though. Its more along the lines of exposed/coloured brickwork with mouldings (arches/frames/ledges) and overall colour choice. I'll take some pics down my street at some point since most of the houses are Victorian(nice and gothic)/Edwardian(lack of busts/statues/faceography). As for Main Street I have no real idea, I know its not (could be wrong) English style architecture at any rate .

• Minion

^ Victorian/Edwardian are very similar. Hotel Hightower at DisneySea is neither. It is an example of the Moorish Revivalism, which was a pretty rarely used mid-to-late 19th century style.

Timmy, of the pics I posted, the two photos are of a couple of former British Consulates in India & Asia; one is a piece of art depicting a "Great White Hunter" and the other is a lost scene from DL's Haunted Mansion... I just combined them to give an impression of how I perceived the rumored AL haunted mansion might look.

EDIT:
    Joelio, to your point English Victorian is pretty distinct from American Victorian. Main Street is heavily American Victorian.

• i heart plunging v-necks

Colonel Haithi's at Disneyland Paris is a good example of what an Adventureland HM exterior could look like.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Minion

^ Completely agree, Colonel Hathi's is extremely colonial, cooking up a nice experience or story for such attraction might be a bit difficult, but i'm sure its something Disney could do with ease.

Looks quite ominous (pic isn't mine).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Joelio View Post
    ^ Completely agree, Colonel Hathi's is extremely colonial, cooking up a nice experience or story for such attraction might be a bit difficult, but i'm sure its something Disney could do with ease.

Looks quite ominous (pic isn't mine).
    I don't think it looks omnious at all. Quite the opposite. Rather inviting, like a nice place to be if one were in a jungle or tropical setting.

Not sure why, but this house makes me think of the old film "Key Largo" with Bogey and Bacall.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 07-08-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: boo-boo

• Minion

Fair enough, seems fairly ominous to me

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Not sure why, but this house makes me think of the old film "Key West" with Bogey and Bacall.
    Really? It reminds me of the island, Key West, in Florida.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Really? It reminds me of the island, Key West, in Florida.
    Goofed on that one. It's "Key Largo", 1948. At least I was in the general vicinity... Check out the house about halfway through the movie trailer:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=7829

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Is there a difference between Victorian and Edwardian architecture? Would you say Main Street is victorian while Hotel Hightower is more Edwardian?

Btw I love that concept art, never seen them before.
    To add to what others have said, Victorian is more "feminine", while "Edwardian" is more "masculine". There is a subtle difference. And, the reason they are that way, is because of the rulers they are named after Queen Victoria, and King Edward. Mary Poppins was set in an Edwardian England, but, as I said, the difference between the two styles is subtle. There was less focus on decoration in the Edwardian style. Just a bit less "cluttered". Victorian style had a lot of layers and "collections" of things.

Here's a great article on the difference from the Victorian style home to the Edwardian. Lots of advances in technology, medicine, and science helped the design process. Also, you'll notice more use of bricks in the Edwardian style.

Bloggang.com : Tiwanon48 : Edwardian House Style

• Minion

Of course this would all be thrown for a loop if they resurrected the 1920's Main Street idea from the early planning stages of Paris.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Future Disney Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    To add to what others have said, Victorian is more "feminine", while "Edwardian" is more "masculine". There is a subtle difference. And, the reason they are that way, is because of the rulers they are named after Queen Victoria, and King Edward. Mary Poppins was set in an Edwardian England, but, as I said, the difference between the two styles is subtle. There was less focus on decoration in the Edwardian style. Just a bit less "cluttered". Victorian style had a lot of layers and "collections" of things.

Here's a great article on the difference from the Victorian style home to the Edwardian. Lots of advances in technology, medicine, and science helped the design process. Also, you'll notice more use of bricks in the Edwardian style.

Bloggang.com : Tiwanon48 : Edwardian House Style
    Thank you very much for the information . The exterior changes are subtle, while the interior architecture is open and very akin to the floorplans of modern homes. And now I know I prefer Victorian.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast