Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• I see in Muppet Vision

Re: July 2010 Concept Artwork

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    It's too early to tell, but it looks like Disneyland Paris. The castle area looks very aquatically themed...
    That's what i was thinking but it's so hard to tell....

• Banned User

No more castle clones, please... I was angry enough when they cloned Disneyland's castle for HKDL.

• i heart plunging v-necks

I'm hoping that the large firework is obscuring a Port Royale/Tortuga themed area.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Minion

Finally! Offical artwork. Though I must say, I was hoping for a more unique Magic Kingdom, with a different layout.

But still, hopefully it won't be underbuilt like HK was, and hopefully it will offer some unique experiences.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

That big waterfall by the DLP style Thunder Mountain is making me hopeful for Western River.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Dreamer

If you squint, the castle looks like the actual one from the Cinderella movie (seen in Storybook Land at DL) or if they did went aquatic, Atlantica. As for the layout, I'm loving it. Looks like they're going for another DLP-style re-design.

• Bangarang!

Well if this is Shanghai (or at least an early version of it) I'm quite pleased. It seems to take the familiar and give it its own unique style.

The castle does look like Cinderella's to me, but that's the sort of detail that can change between concept art like this.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

I'm impressed, that Tomorrowland looks divine. As for the castle it looks fairly special to me However i'm a sucker for the DLP Castle (with it being beautiful and all).

• Not here to help

From here it does look like the very same park once again... uh

What happened to the idea of building a different Disneyland? Perhaps when getting a closer look all the differences will become clear.

Oh well I´m going to Shanghai soon, that´s what any Disneypark fan would do.

...and it looks like it´s a small world after all.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 07-19-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

It doesn't look all that special in my opinion. Hong Kong Disneyland looked just as nice in its intial concept stages, but look at how that turned out. The concept art is usually designed to look much better than the finished product, so I have to say I'm not too impressed if even the initial design (before cuts due to budget and other reasons) fails to invoke amazement and wonder.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

It is way too early to make any real judgment on that small, blurry piece of artwork, but I am a disappointed that they didn't radically alter the standard layout (as in the infamous annual report artwork).

Regarding the size: I can't tell if it's nice and big or really tiny. The "train" north of Frontierland and the carousel behind the castle would indicate a very small park (like HKDL). However, if that is Big Thunder Railroad and Rivers of the Far West in the lower left, and not just some rockwork in the middle of a pond, then that would make the park much bigger. Maybe those are buildings and not a train north of Frontierland.

Bottom line: We need a giant, clear version of that pic!

If you look harder into the artwork you'll notice that the castle is very unique. There is no direct entrance straight off of Main Street, instead, there is two entrances. This could be because there is two "castles". Looking closely it appears there is a "Fairytale Castle" (which it's design doesn't look duplicated) and to the left, almost morphed into it, is some sort of "Dark Mountain/Castle" possibly themed to villains. As for the rest of Fantasyland, it seems to be quite compact full of different attractions.

The Tomorrowland shown seems unique too and not a clone of any previous ones. It actually looks like it has quite a bit of influence from Tim Delaney. And that "Space Mountain" building is quite large - is this an attempt at Discovery Mountain that was originally planned for DLP?

As for Frontierland, this concept art is showing some resemblance to WRE. The waterfalls coming off the rocks in the background as well as the wide river match the WRE concept art. Who knows if it's identical, but it seems to have some influence.

As for ALand, I wish we could see a bit more - but the fireworks cover half the land. Though with the island design, it seems to be a very similar concept to Disneyland Paris' Adventureland.

The theming of Main Street is unkown, but Time Delaney did do some concept art for unique approaches at a new theme for Main Street. The codename on his concept art his "Project Bueno" which was also used for other parts of the Shanghai project.

Something else very noticeable is everything going on outside of the park. There seems to be a hotel way up on the top left of the artwork which has a waterway access into the Frontierland/Adventureland area - maybe boat transportation right into the park? It also appears they have plans for a Disney Village/Downtown Disney area right outside of the main gate.

While it has it's resemblance to a classic Disneyland park, it also looks like it's going to have unique approaches to each area. I can't wait to see more concept art in the future.

My eyes must be really bad, because I can't make out any of that (although at first glance it looked to me like the castle was built into the side of mountain).

^ Can your eagle eyes decipher what is going on on the RR tracks north of Frontierland (bridging the canal), because if that is a train it throws off the scale of a larger park (i.e., a train wouldn't be that massive in relation to Big Thunder Island, particularly when located far behind it in this perspective) and would mean Frontierland is tiny. Maybe they are buildings like Ponte Vecchio at TDS or New Orleans Sq at DL.

This pic was a slide shown at a lecture given that SF Walt Disney Museum, right? Maybe someone else got a clearer/hi-res photo or was there and can describe the park in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    My eyes must be really bad, because I can't make out any of that (although at first glance it looked to me like the castle was built into the side of mountain).

^ Can your eagle eyes decipher what is going on on the RR tracks north of Frontierland (bridging the canal), because if that is a train it throws off the scale of a larger park (i.e., a train wouldn't be that massive in relation to Big Thunder Island, particularly when located far behind it in this perspective) and would mean Frontierland is tiny. Maybe they are buildings like Ponte Vecchio at TDS or New Orleans Sq at DL.

This pic was a slide shown at a lecture given that SF Walt Disney Museum, right? Maybe someone else got a clearer/hi-res photo or was there and can describe the park in detail.
    My post was coming from hours of resizing & sharpening of the blurry image and discussion with friends about the concept art. The train behind "Frontierland" seems quite large, but could very well be an error in the graphic. I'm not using the train to try and determine the size of the park, I'm using lands vs lands, as well as other show elements (such as the parking lot, the castle, etc). The angle of this concept art is hard to grasp in respects to sizes of the land. What I posted was just premature observations, and very well could be inaccurate. The Walt Disney Family Museum posted that they'll have a recap in the coming days on their new blog, so I'm hoping it will include more and better pictures.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    It doesn't look all that special in my opinion.
    I agree. Looks like a tiny park from this one blurry image. Figure that the castle is no bigger than the one at DLP. Now, look at the size of each land. TINY.

Jungle Cruise takes up an entire land. The river above it also takes up an entire land. What I'm assuming is Tomorrowland looks big in comparison to the other lands, and it is hard to tell about Fantasyland.

What I'd like to see is the concept art for each land and the proposed list of attractions. That would tell us a whole lot more.

And if they list photo spots as attractions, like they did at HKDL, we'll know that the park is in trouble.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)