Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Sorcerer in Training

Re: July 2010 Concept Artwork

I can't see the image that well, so I won't comment. It is still in Blue Sky, so this may change many times over.
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

• Tomorrow's Child

Well that is the thing. We all know that Hong Kong had Frontierland for a good while before it got axed so things can change.

If they'd released this saying "thats what you're getting" then we might have a few reasons for concern. That being said I don't think that image portrays a particularly bad park. Its got all the traditional elements with quite a few unique variations which surely is a good thing?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Looks like the size of HKDL - too small!

• Minion

I found this doing a Google Search. Said it was concept art for Shanghai Disneyland.

Shanghai Disneyland | Progress City, U.S.A.

The picture is almost near the end.

• Minion

Thanks, that is an interesting concept indeed. I'll admit though, I was confused by your use of "near the end" that was until I found the picture

• Just this guy......

I think that it's too little information to base anything. We have all seen a lot of concept artwork over the years that does not look anything like the final product.

• Minion

^ That photo is very interesting! It looks like there are 3 different types of Main Streets being looked at:

Hollywood Main Street- Looks very much like DHS
    Forest Village Main Street- Looks a lot like the miniature buildings in Disneyland's Pixie Hallow with a lot of trees
    Whimsical Main Street- This is my least favorite as it looks a lot like a strip mall.

• Not here to help

There is only ONE mainstreet and it is Mainstreet USA, the mainstreet of Walt Disney.
    It is a street where people take their first stepps towards fantasy, adventure and tomorrow. Anything else would be a shame. I hate it when they clone rides and lands... but mainstreet should always be about the same. That is where we leave the real world and enter the land of Walt Disney.
    I donīt want to walk on a Hollywood street or a Toontown like street... I can do that in other parks.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Dreamer

Here here, Timmy, you shall be named mayor of Main Street, USA!

I like these Main Street concept images, they should use those as the basis for the next Downtown Disney.

If you actually go to Tim Delany's site under sketches there is an illustration called "Resort Lagoon" could this be a proposed entry to the park? Judging by the overview concept art it seems to match

• Tomorrow's Child

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I think that it's too little information to base anything. We have all seen a lot of concept artwork over the years that does not look anything like the final product.
    Well said.

You only have to look at some of the radical plans for HK that WDI had at the start of the project to see how things can change.

Granted though, some of those never made it public until way after the park was built.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    There is only ONE mainstreet and it is Mainstreet USA, the mainstreet of Walt Disney.
    It is a street where people take their first stepps towards fantasy, adventure and tomorrow. Anything else would be a shame. I hate it when they clone rides and lands... but mainstreet should always be about the same. That is where we leave the real world and enter the land of Walt Disney.
    I donīt want to walk on a Hollywood street or a Toontown like street... I can do that in other parks.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    Although I have no qualms of them shifting the time setting just a little.

The '20's Main Street Paris nearly got had plenty of the familiar buildings but with some "modern for the time" additions. Which still kept it as that grand opening act that Main Street has always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemtuk View Post
    If you actually go to Tim Delany's site under sketches there is an illustration called "Resort Lagoon" could this be a proposed entry to the park? Judging by the overview concept art it seems to match
    I'd be inclined to say yes. Given the suggestion in the concept art from the Museum, it does show what appears to be a hotel to the south of the main gate. And water taxis would be an inevitable addition there.

There was something similar for the Long Beach project but I'd say the Delany piece was created after that. Who knows, perhaps thats where some of the inspiration came from?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Patiently awaiting a clearer version of that pic.

As far as accuracy is concerned... it depends on when during the park development process the painting was created. Here is a similar perspective of HKDL which is highly accurate:

However, as has been mentioned, the early birds-eye paintings of HKDL (as seen in the new WDI book) show a completely different park. So if this painting was created late in development (rumored Nov. construction start) it may be accurate (which tells me nothing since I can't get a sense of scale or contents from the blurriness).

• I see in Muppet Vision

I think we might have a match for our space mountain... with the tomorrowland station located right next to/ incorporated into the space mountain complex....and the actual curvature of the ring shape structure located on the roof.

I find it interesting that in delaney's concept art there is a diesel train at the station....

• Disneyland Man

Don't you just LOVE these park renderings?! A new Disney park, gotta be wonderful. I really love that the Walt Disney Family Museum was the first to show it.

I see lots of expansion pads - continuing the "concept" of going outside the train tracks to grow. We have yet to see a coherent experience come from this. Disneyland's organic growth, ironically, has never fully exploited the design potential to improve overall flow issues at the original park in the same way, though a few buildings could easily be moved away to accomplish that.

I thought Paris was perfect for delivering a full park on day one (I was there to know!), whereas some other parks are still playing an expensive game of catch-up, with creatively compromised results (not to mention 'bad show' for guest$ for years to get there). Paris got it's continuity right from the start.

Also, John Hench's quote about "liking it better as a parking lot" was not just a snarky swipe at that disturbingly bland park across from Disneyland, but an accurate assessment of the importance of that vast bit of blank before you approached the Magic Kingdom, part of what makes it seem wonderful once you get there. I see a lake here in Shanghai, like the one used in Florida for this purpose, but the train station at Main Street looks to be increasingly lost as part of a, no-doubt - shopping, complex, not necessarily a shimmering setting, apart from daily life (yet?). I think Hong Kong must be going for a lost-in-the-jungle effect.

Overall, a tidy little park; certainly no master reinvention or mega-Disneyland. I'd like to see the World's Fair that's going on there now, but Disneyland is my thang, so I'll get there after Disney does.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Patiently awaiting a clearer version of that pic.

As far as accuracy is concerned... it depends on when during the park development process the painting was created. Here is a similar perspective of HKDL which is highly accurate:

However, as has been mentioned, the early birds-eye paintings of HKDL (as seen in the new WDI book) show a completely different park. So if this painting was created late in development (rumored Nov. construction start) it may be accurate (which tells me nothing since I can't get a sense of scale or contents from the blurriness).
    I completely agree--the early highly publisised newsletter concept art was the blue sky phase, however this is the real deal.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)