Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Minion

Re: July 2010 Concept Artwork

Well it would have to be released once they have ground breaking surely? And with the suggestion that won't happen until after the Shanghai Expo closes in October, so I'm guessing that November could be the earliest - that is unless they surprise us and release it before... but as seems to be the norm with the Shanghai project, I'm not going to hold my breath.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    And with the suggestion that won't happen until after the Shanghai Expo closes in October, so I'm guessing that November could be the earliest -.
    Why not? It can happen sooner. All those construction jobs for the billions they spent prepping the city for the Expo have to be put to use somewhere else...

• Minion

I thought the city (or Central Govt.) had put a moratorium on construction until after the Expo to easy the smog?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

/\ Could be. I wouldn't put it past them...I have no idea.

• Minion

^ The bit about the moratorium is correct, although it was the Chinese press that reported that construction could begin "as early as November." Take whatever the Chinese press prints with a huge grain of salt.

As mentioned above, Shanghai could be waiting for the Expo to finish before turning the spotlight to Disneyland - that means there might be a major announcement with details/artwork in November-December 2010 range. That said, Disney/Shanghai are likely to be careful with their PR for Shanghai - no one wins if Disney presents a mind-blowing park while the underbuilt and money-bleeding HKDL is awaiting its expansion. My gut feeling is that is why they leaked the "smaller than HKDL" bits over the last year. For the same reason, I could see Disney remaining pretty quiet about Shanghai until 2013 when Mystic Manor finally opens (with SDL opening around 2015-16).

Back to the topic (artwork). Apparently no one else got a better pic of that slide, but I did find a write-up on Bruce Vaughn's presentation: SamLand's Disney Adventures: Disneyland 55: A Birthday Celebration at the Walt Disney Family Museum - Part 4

It basically confirms that Shanghai will not have a standard turn-of-the-century MSUSA entrance.

• Five-Legged Goat

Thanks for posting that link, RandySavage. I found the write-up to be interesting and informative, especially in regard to the bits about Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland.

I think a Fantasy-themed replacement for Main Street could work quite well for Shanghai, especially if it leads to a beautiful, well-designed, and LARGE castle.

And we now have an answer to the mystery of how HKDL's three-land expansion will yield 37 new "attractions" -- character meet and greets will count as attractions. Of course, putting aside the known "real" attractions (Army Men parachute drop, Slinky Dog, RC Racer, Mystic Manor, Mystic Point garden of mysteries, Grizzly Mountain Coaster, Geyser Gulch water play area), this means the three lands will have upwards of 30 meet and greets... unless they count each separate water sprinkler as an "attraction" as well (and I don't think they did this even for Liki Tikis or UFO Zone).

Also -- just when you thought this attraction couldn't possibly be any better... Danny Elfman is composing the theme music for Mystic Manor! I'd been too enamored with the visuals for MM to really think about the issue of background music, but Elfman is certainly capable of coming up with a moody, catchy, and perfectly fitting score for the attraction that could be as enduring as "Grim Grinning Ghosts." I'm really, really looking forward to hearing more about MM in the next few years!

• Sock Puppet

They want the castle in Shanghai to be the tallest in the world. And that's old concept art by the way, things have changed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NOCC View Post
    They want the castle in Shanghai to be the tallest in the world. And that's old concept art by the way, things have changed.
    Interesting... care to provide a few details?

I dont know how true this is but i just got back from shanghai and my tour guide said the park is going to be the smallest park yet when it first opens but then they will add on to it and after that it should be the biggest yet. Im not saying i think this is going to be what happens im just saying what he told me.

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by steve31 View Post
    I dont know how true this is but i just got back from shanghai and my tour guide said the park is going to be the smallest park yet when it first opens but then they will add on to it and after that it should be the biggest yet. Im not saying i think this is going to be what happens im just saying what he told me.
    I don't like this new patchwork attitude Disney has with foreign parks. Either get the money and ressources to build a complete park or leave it be.

Somebody get Walt out of the freezer and turn up the heat. We need a professional here.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    I don't like this new patchwork attitude Disney has with foreign parks. Either get the money and ressources to build a complete park or leave it be.

Somebody get Walt out of the freezer and turn up the heat. We need a professional here.
    I agree. One should do the job RIGHT the first time because it's only going to cost much more later one. DCA anyone?

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    looks kind of small...
    If Iger didn't learn the size lesson from the Hong Kong park he should be ousted ASAP. He's supposed to be the one with the big picture. Walt Disney didn't think small, except for Journey Through Inner Space.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Finally getting around to catching up on the boards....

I just read the article that RandySavage posted and ths one paragraph stood out to me regarding shanghai....

"Dick helped to create Tokyo Disneyland. He said it took five years to generate an agreement. With that said, the look on Bruce and Craig’s face was funny. They mentioned that it has already been 10 years since talks started on the Shanghai project and they still are not done. That property is so large; it can hold multiple theme parks."
    To me this is a good indication of what we can expect in the long term for this resort....multiple usually implies more than two..

could shanghai be the DisneyWorld of Asia?

I know a lot of you are probably saying "so what? paris has plenty of room for at least 1 more park" possibly 2 depending on their size and nature... But i don't think you can compare the two in that sense because paris has never really been a winner of a park in drawing in enough crowds. Tokyo draws in the big numbers and no longer has any room for new park expansion. They have two solid parks but cannot have more in that location. Hong Kong is still the baby park that is undergoing its expansion.

Disney really needs to hit shanghai out of the park and be a real winner.

Steps are already being taken in the right direction by learning from HKDL

The Chinese guest comes from one of two camps. They are either a local Hong Kong resident with more exposure to the brand or they are from the mainland where most of their exposure came from pirated videos. They found that many of the mainland guests walk onto Main Street and there is no emotional connection. That is why Shanghai is likely to have a very different entry experience.

The Disney people were surprised and adapted to the unique way many of the Mainland Chinese guests use the park. For the most part, the child population is small and families come in large multi-generational groups...

Many visitors from India visit Hong Kong Disneyland and the park had to increase the availability of vegetarian options. Even the Jungle Cruise script became a complex project. Guests are able to experience the attraction in three different languages...

There is also difference in the way Chinese and Japanese perceive value. In China, guests have many choices for theme park amusement and they tend to count how many attractions are available and balance that against the admission price. With the limited number of attractions at Hong Kong Disneyland, many felt it was a disappointment. It may have been beautifully designed but that is not enough. So along with the expansion of three new mini-lands, they are also counting every character meet and greet (also known as Love and Shove) as an attraction. This is how they came up with the figure of 37 new attractions.
    I know i just quoted a lot from that article but if you didn't read it those were the good highlights regarding shanghai....

• Minion

I don't doubt that Shanghai does have the potential (and more importantly the land) to be the WDW of Asia. Especially to HKDL being the Disneyland Resort to Shanghai's WDW.

'course that's dependant on a lot of things - first off that SDL is a hit and then the expansion of HKDL also being well received thus allowing them to expand more....

As for that last quote highlight, well I think that's a very important one. Giving more bang for the Renminbi may seen like an obvious thing to do but we know that was something that wasn't necessarily applied to Hong Kong.
    Of course that was under a different leadership, and Uncle Bob can see that he's inherited problems from not adding enough attractions to Hong Kong.

Having said that, I would advocate not adding "everything" to Shanghai Disneyland. They've got to keep the odd attraction back to entice repeat visitors back when they add what was missing.

Walt Disney

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

I still think it's too soon for another Disneyland (not a sister or brother park). 5 years ago Hong Kong Disneyland was built during the 50th anniversary of the original and 5 more years later they are building another one in Shanghai. How much you wanna bet in another 5 years plans will be announced for another park?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)