Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: July 2010 Concept Artwork

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    I still think it's too soon for another Disneyland (not a sister or brother park). 5 years ago Hong Kong Disneyland was built during the 50th anniversary of the original and 5 more years later they are building another one in Shanghai. How much you wanna bet in another 5 years plans will be announced for another park?
    Whoa, now...

1954 - Disneyland Announced
    1955 - Disneyland Opened
    1966 - Florida Project Announced
    1971 - WDW Opened
    1983 - Tokyo Disney Opened
    1985 - DLRP Announced?
    1992 - DLP Opens
    1999 - HKDL Announced?
    2005 - HKDL Opens
    2010 - SDL Announced?
    2016 - SDL Opens?

Well, in five years, SDL will probably be opening. Unless someone new like Eisner/Wells comes in and there's a ton of growth we won't see another park announcement for at least a decade.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• I see in Muppet Vision

just thought i'd share if you guys didn't see it already.

Editor's Note 9/20-21: Wondering what happened to that big Shanghai Disneyland project? While the economy and Beijing's tricky politics slowed it down the past two years, it's about to kick into high gear when Disney's 2011 fiscal year starts on Monday, Oct. 4th. The Shanghai Disneyland team gets a lot bigger on that day with plenty of salaried folks from Anaheim and Glendale being formally transferred to the Shanghai project payroll, and the start of construction in Shanghai shouldn't be far behind them. You can expect more media announcements later this year, but the real work begins on October 4th. - Al Lutz

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Well, in five years, SDL will probably be opening. Unless someone new like Eisner/Wells comes in and there's a ton of growth we won't see another park announcement for at least a decade.
    Agreed.

Shanghai and Hong Kong are going to be the main focus for quite some time. They're going to want to/have to focus on building up HK, followed by the next crucial decision. Which Chinese park gets a second gate?

I can't see the need for another resort after Shanghai. And thats me trying to be a non-fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
    just thought i'd share if you guys didn't see it already.
    Thanks!
    Looks like the wheels are falling in place for this project to pick up steam. Buckle up folks! Its going to be a ride!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Agreed.

Shanghai and Hong Kong are going to be the main focus for quite some time. They're going to want to/have to focus on building up HK, followed by the next crucial decision. Which Chinese park gets a second gate?
    HKDL should be getting a second gate before SHDL for many reasons. SHDL will open when HKDL has been expanded with its three new lands and don't forget that SHDL will initially be smaller than HKDL so Disney will have to build it up before they even consider a second gate for SHDL.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    HKDL should be getting a second gate before SHDL for many reasons. SHDL will open when HKDL has been expanded with its three new lands and don't forget that SHDL will initially be smaller than HKDL so Disney will have to build it up before they even consider a second gate for SHDL.
    How do we know SHDL will be smaller than HKDL.

There have been rumors and speculation... but we don't know that for sure...

Plus just cause it "is" smaller size doesn't mean it will have not a lot of attractions... IF things go the way they seem to be going with the example of HKDL the park will most likely be designed to be smaller because a bulk of the park will be more concentrated toward the center of the park and future development will go outward eventually. WHich is not necessarily bad... It can lead to large expansions of lands with new themes... instead of leaving expansion pads in the various lands. all in all it could lead to a better park with new ideas incorporated.

And if they want to make SHDL more of a DisneyWorld of Asia..... then they probably would step up development of another park into high gear... FarEastCot? (haha disneygeek humor...)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

How do we know SHDL will be smaller than HKDL.

There have been rumors and speculation... but we don't know that for sure...

Plus just cause it "is" smaller size doesn't mean it will have not a lot of attractions... IF things go the way they seem to be going with the example of HKDL the park will most likely be designed to be smaller because a bulk of the park will be more concentrated toward the center of the park and future development will go outward eventually. WHich is not necessarily bad... It can lead to large expansions of lands with new themes... instead of leaving expansion pads in the various lands. all in all it could lead to a better park with new ideas incorporated.

And if they want to make SHDL more of a DisneyWorld of Asia..... then they probably would step up development of another park into high gear... FarEastCot? (haha disneygeek humor...)
    Quite some time ago I posted an article from South China Morning Post in which an official confirmed the initial size of the park would be smaller than HKDL. And not to mention that this newspaper is extremely reliable.

The oft-quoted definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

With the embarrassingly lackluster financial performance of HKDL (and WDSP and DCA), Disney and their Shanghai partners would be "insane" to build another small park with few attractions. One would believe Iger gets this, as he is now spending $2 billion to expand DCA & HKDL.

Regarding the Shanghai official's quote about being "smaller than HKDL" - as I've stated here many times, with these officials there is a total disconnect between resort size, park size and on-stage (guest-area) size. To a govt official and the general press/media all of these are synonymous terms and they consistently have compared apples to oranges. At the same time, it is in Disney's interest to downplay any potential superiority of the Shanghai park until HKDL is in robust financial shape.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 09-21-2010 at 10:59 PM.

• Bangarang!

Which could be a good thing for Hong Kong. It will have the advantage on Shanghai as a destination.
    Its been debated ad nauseum that the presence of Shanghai would affect Hong Kong, and while that is still entirely possible, Hong Kong will at least have more to offer, especially if it offers unique experiences that you cannot find in Shanghai.

Of course that won't happen. They'll plan it and tease us with nice concept art before shelving it for a couple years before replacing it with the lacklustre Disney Chinese Adventure.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

One would imagine Disney would want HKDL to be Disney's premier Asia theme park since the resort has the potential of getting way more people than Tokyo Disney Resort. Most people that go to HKDL do so because they're going to HK and not just for HKDL. What is so impressive about Shanghai eh? HK and SH do not even compare as cities.

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quite some time ago I posted an article from South China Morning Post in which an official confirmed the initial size of the park would be smaller than HKDL. And not to mention that this newspaper is extremely reliable.
    Like it was just said by someone else. Media can be wrong especially when there is a disconnect between reosrt size, parksize, and size in general. And remember we are dealing with a park that has only had one piece of concept art released and basically no other information. Everything is still speculation...

• I see in Muppet Vision

Of course that won't happen. They'll plan it and tease us with nice concept art before shelving it for a couple years before replacing it with the lacklustre Disney Chinese Adventure.

DCA again ftw! haha

• The Study of Wumbo

Smaller than HKDL does not mean less attractions or a lower-quality design. The big factor when Hong Kong was opening was how few attractions they had, so people weren't going to come. Hopefully they'll try again with their new knowledge with SDL.

(What's with the unnecessary "H" in "SHDL?" What's wrong with just "SDL?")
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• I see in Muppet Vision

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    (What's with the unnecessary "H" in "SHDL?" What's wrong with just "SDL?")
    haha please don't bring acronym BS onto this board. The DCA tracker is bad enough with people complaining.

There is nothing wrong with SDL.

To be honest i just used it cause thats what HKDLFAN did. but really whats the big deal...

we all know it means Shanghai Disneyland.... If it was SHADL then i can see it as a little ridiculous.... haha

in effect the L shouldn't be in the acronym either.... but yet we use it for DL, DLP, HKDL, and TDL too...

• Bangarang!

Of course that's assuming they will call it Shanghai Disneyland. They could throw us a curve and call it Disneyland Shanghai.

Walt Disney

• I see in Muppet Vision

Of course that's assuming they will call it Shanghai Disneyland. They could throw us a curve and call it Disneyland Shanghai.
    MiceChat need to get a LIKE button similar to facebook's!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)