Something Special?

Does anyone think that with TDLR, HKDLR and the soon to be Shanghai resort all in relatively close proximity compared with WDW and DLR that the Shanghai magic kingdom is really gonna shake things up? Maybe a new land or radical new takes on classic attractions? I just get the feeling it's gonna be different.

Thoughts?
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Not here to help

Re: Something Special?

One can always hope that it will be a park with classic Disneyland feeling but with new rides and showes.
    Someone mentioned that the plan to make the park original was dropped and that a classic Disneyland is going to be built. I am sure that the final plan is for the park is made but it will take atleast a few months until we see anything more about it.
    All there is now is one blurry picture.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

"Relatively close proximity"? I think you need to check your maps...China is huge. And has a huge population to accompany it, bigger than most people can comprehend. Hong Kong and Shanghai are actually quite far away from each other. TDS isn't all that close to them either.

One also needs to remember that the general China populous will never physically be able to leave China. At the current Shanghai World Expo, about 95% of the visitors there are Chinese. They are eating it up because most of them will never be able to leave China and have had no exposure to the outside world.

So the Chinese parks should, in theory, do fine (and TDS has nothing to worry about because it is of superb quality and has lots of visitors). But Disney should invest a little more uniqueness and creativity to the Chinese parks. If they are mostly identical, they will certainly loose outside-of-China tourism.

^ Actually Shanghai is just a 2 hr flight from HK.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by iluvHKDL View Post
    ^ Actually Shanghai is just a 2 hr flight from HK.
    Yes... but if you add hotels, food, park tickets and all costs for getting to HK from many parts of mainland China... it´s simply not possible for many to go to HKDL. if it was... they would. looking at the numbers of visitors it is abvious that HKDL has not attracted many tourists from China´s mainland yet.
    with over a billion persons living in China they could open a third resort without having to think about who is goingto visit it. the proble for Disney is to make the parks fun enough. In Hong Kong that has failed... but things are changing as we all klnow.

DLRP is only two hours away for me but it it still too expensive for me to just go there. The same money will take me to Hong Kong. Distance is not the issue.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 08-17-2010 at 06:23 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

TDL won`t be a problem to SDL, nor will SDL be a problem to TDL. According to statics most of Tokyo`s visitors come from mainland Japan and the Korean peninsula. While Shanghai is not THAT far from Japan, most visitors to SDL will be from mainland China, who can`t really afford to go over to Japan. Besides, there`s around 200 million people living in the proximity of a two hour drive from Shanghai. It`s one of the most crowded places on the planet. They would be enough to justify SDL.

And even though HK is only a two hour flight from Shanghai, most visitors to HKDL are locals or guests from nearby Chinese cities and Taiwan.