Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Shanghai?

• (Not a) New User

Why Shanghai?

Why is DIsney already creating another resort? They just opened HKDL 5 years ago, and it still needs much expansion and work, as most Disney parks do these days. Why are they making another park in the same country? I understand how stupid that sounds, with DL and WDW both iin the US, but shoudn't they spend their money and time on HKDL? There has been 9-16 years wait before they create another resort.
    1955- DL
    1971-WDW
    1983- TDL
    1992- DLP
    2005- HKDL
    2010- SHDL
    I'm not complaining, but isn't it a little too soon?

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• I see in Muppet Vision

Re: Why Shanghai?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    Why is DIsney already creating another resort?
    They want to get in there first and establish their name before universal or another competitor does.... Plus China has a population of over a billion. And 10s of millions of people who are able to spend money and go to places like disneyland.

It is really the prospects of it being a very lucrative resort.

• Bangarang!

^Agreed.

As for the timing, well Shanghai won't open until at least '14 so it there will be 9 years between it an Hong Kong.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

Disney should spend some money on WDW as well...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

And also they are expanding HKDL to be able to compete with Shanghai I believe.

But I agree, WDW needs much work! Something needs to change soon..
    -Tyler

I too agree, WDW and DLP need work, but maybe their spending the expansion money on Shanghai and hoping it will do so well they'll end up with more than they started with? I don't know....

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude12 View Post
    I too agree, WDW and DLP need work, but maybe their spending the expansion money on Shanghai and hoping it will do so well they'll end up with more than they started with? I don't know....
    As long as people from all over USA go to WDW every single year they have some time off then Disney does not need to improve the parks. Itīs like some WDW visitors donīt care. I would skip it and go see the real world for once insted, and stop by TDR. But thatīs just me...

Letīs put it this way:
    Why not Shanghai?
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Former Epcot CM

The plot of land the resort is being built on is surrounded by one of the most prosperous cities in all of Asia, and an increasingly well-off middle class expanding around the Yangtze Delta. From Disney's point of view, they will soon be striking untapped oil.

All very well, but China currently has over two hundred theme parks, and believe it or not, not everyone in the world cares about meeting a man (or woman) in a Mickey Mouse costume. Shanghai Disneyland really will need to be something special. I've heard that while the total area of the resort is smaller than Hong Kong's, the park itself will be more Magic Kingdom/Tokyo Disneyland size. Which it should be.

Disney: please, please, please look at what you did wrong with Hong Kong. Look at what the OLC did right with Tokyo.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Dreamer

The idea of opening a park in Shanghai had been in the works for nearly two decades now. For some reason Hong Kong got favored but only because the Hong Kong government jumped on the idea without really thinking ahead, though.

They were just a little bit more careful about who gets what to say about what they get over there, so the negotiations took a little longer.

• Bangarang!

^I think the differences in the governance of Hong Kong over that of mainland China may have also helped in HK getting a park first.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I visited Shanghai in the summer of 2006 as part of a youth leadership program. We had an American business man who lived in Shanghai come and give us a talk about the business relationship between our countries. After the presentation I asked him if he knew anything about Disney building anything soon in Shanghai. He said that at that time the Chinese Government was focusing on building Hong Kong as a more popular tourism destination.

While on my trip we visited 4 different cities across China and Shanghai was the place I noticed the most random Disney items for sale in stores and even my tour guide on the bus had a different Disney shirt every day and a Mickey cellphone. Shanghai has a large population, and while a lot of that population is in poverty, there is still a large middle class to attend a Disney Park.

Shanghai is also a city known for its international influences and has a far more cosmopolitan outlook than other cities such as Beijing.

Disney already has a presence in the city with Disney English, which are English as a second language leaning centers for children. According to their website, there are already 9 locations scattered across the city.

http://disneyenglish.com/EN/homepage.html
    Last edited by aakdisneydreamer; 11-11-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add link

• Minion FOREVER!

Basically, present & future customers...

Populations:
    LA Metro Area: 17 million
    Shanghai Metro Area: 18 million
    100 miles around Shanghai: 100 million

Even consider that the Shanghai DL customer population is 50%, that's w-a-y more than the 17 million potential customers around LA. And as the Chinese economy improves, this is going to keep going up.

BTW. at population of 32 Million, building even another park in Tokyo is ultimately a no-brainer on the long range timeframe.

• Banned User

Well.. guess who is in Shanghai today.. ME!

And just got back from the Bund area.. I have to admit... it's tough being an american in this town. All these people do is harrass you for shopping of illegal crap... and frankly I am over it and the chinese's pushy ways.
    I wish Disney would reconsider putting a park in this town.

PLus, they need to get a life. EXPO is over and all they talk about in this town is expo expo expo.. It's done people, get over it!

I agree. Truthfully I just have an overall bad feeling about the park. Unless it is truly a separated resort, I fear what I've heard about how people act in Shanghai. As well as the fact that they need to do so much more with the parks they have now before they think about opening a new one.

I am Chinese from Shanghai,i don't hope they spend their money and time on SHDL too.They are goverment,not Shanghai People.For people ,they need better welfare and medicare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast