Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Rumored To Be A Three Park Resort: Including EPCOT & Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    As you say, Lighttragic, another Disney Sea in Asia would be redundant, and only serve to water down attendance/revenues in that region. i really don't see an entire super hero comic book brand park amounting to anyting significant anywhere in the world...a land, yes. Like the way you snuck the studio park dig in there. LOL!

As for the weather patterns, Shanghai appears to be decent year round. His a rundown:
    • The average temperature in Shanghai, China is 15.6 C (60 F).
    • The average temperature range is 24 C.
    • The highest monthly average high temperature is 32 C (90 F) in July & August.
    • The lowest monthly average low temperature is -1 C (30 F) in January.
    • Shanghai's climate receives an average of 1144 mm (45.0 in) of rainfall per year, or 95 mm (3.8 in) per month.
    • On average there are 130 days per year with more than 0.1 mm (0.004 in) of rainfall (precipitation) or 11 days with a quantity of rain, sleet, snow etc. per month.
    • The driest weather is in December when an average of 38 mm (1.5 in) of rainfall (precipitation) occurrs across 8 days.
    • The wettest weather is in June when an average of 177 mm (7.0 in) of rainfall (precipitation) occurrs across 14 days.
    • The average annual relative humidity is 80.3% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 77% in December to 84% in June, July & August.
    • Average sunlight hours in Shanghai range between 3.7 hours per day in February and 7.5 hours per day in August.
    • There are an average of 1874 hours of sunlight per year with an average of 5.1 hours of sunlight per day.
    I'm not sure how "decent" I'd say it is though (LOL) -- it's a subtropical climate much like us (we live just across the strait) and most of our crappy weather heads to the mainland, or when the weather patterns shift, we get the mainland dust (yellow skies and zero visibility, making it terribly hard to breathe outdoors.) The whole area is prone to brutal typhoons and Shanghai's been getting some freak snow over the past couple of years. We have humid summers that easily rival those of Singapore and other SE Asian countries. The last two years have been terrible typhoon seasons for us (not necessarily based on damage, but just the constant rain and flooding). It's just so hard to predict....I was just in Tokyo this week and it was warmer there even though they had snow the day before! We've had more rain that the mainland lately, but last weekend Hong Kong was terribly hazy from the dust and my allergies seriously kicked up -- the pollution index was super high.

I've obviously got my eye on Shanghai since it will basically tie HK as the closest park to me now, but I just have visions of unprepared Disney fans not watching weather patterns and finding themselves stuck back home or having a vacation canceled for bad weather. Sadly, our weather is not often talked about back home in the US. We were watching the Weather Channel during the worst typhoon to hit Taiwan in over 50 years and we didn't even rate a mention in the tropical storm update the entire two days! Kinda sad!

I'm excited to see whatever starts to take shape in Shanghai -- if things go as as the trends are in other areas of mainland China, you can expect no expense to be spared and they will work to make this the best Disney Park in the world. Right now, they are throwing sickening amounts of money to be recognized as the leader in other industries (food and wine is a big one right now, which could help them lean towards Epcot). The desire for Shanghai and the mainland as a whole to become the top in business could end up being quite a bonus for us as Disney fans and parkgoers. My only concern is what ends up being the pricing structure. Shanghai is the Beverly Hills of China and the prices are starting to reflect that -- luxury hotels are popping up, it's all about high end shopping, etc -- how will that translate into Disney pricing?
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Disneyland Rumored To Be A Three Park Resort: Including EPCOT & Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by poohstraveler View Post
    I'm not sure how "decent" I'd say it is though (LOL) -- it's a subtropical climate much like us (we live just across the strait) and most of our crappy weather heads to the mainland, or when the weather patterns shift, we get the mainland dust (yellow skies and zero visibility, making it terribly hard to breathe outdoors.) The whole area is prone to brutal typhoons and Shanghai's been getting some freak snow over the past couple of years. We have humid summers that easily rival those of Singapore and other SE Asian countries. The last two years have been terrible typhoon seasons for us (not necessarily based on damage, but just the constant rain and flooding). It's just so hard to predict....I was just in Tokyo this week and it was warmer there even though they had snow the day before! We've had more rain that the mainland lately, but last weekend Hong Kong was terribly hazy from the dust and my allergies seriously kicked up -- the pollution index was super high.

I've obviously got my eye on Shanghai since it will basically tie HK as the closest park to me now, but I just have visions of unprepared Disney fans not watching weather patterns and finding themselves stuck back home or having a vacation canceled for bad weather. Sadly, our weather is not often talked about back home in the US. We were watching the Weather Channel during the worst typhoon to hit Taiwan in over 50 years and we didn't even rate a mention in the tropical storm update the entire two days! Kinda sad!

I'm excited to see whatever starts to take shape in Shanghai -- if things go as as the trends are in other areas of mainland China, you can expect no expense to be spared and they will work to make this the best Disney Park in the world. Right now, they are throwing sickening amounts of money to be recognized as the leader in other industries (food and wine is a big one right now, which could help them lean towards Epcot). The desire for Shanghai and the mainland as a whole to become the top in business could end up being quite a bonus for us as Disney fans and parkgoers. My only concern is what ends up being the pricing structure. Shanghai is the Beverly Hills of China and the prices are starting to reflect that -- luxury hotels are popping up, it's all about high end shopping, etc -- how will that translate into Disney pricing?
    Sounds like they had better hope lots of that Westerners can afford what seems to be developing into pricey resort that will place it beyond the reach of most Chinese.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

EPCOT to the East! that would be awesome. Cant wait to go.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by disneysnout View Post
    it would be awesome indeed!

• Future Disney Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    for those that were dissapointed that Hong Kong did not get pirates well you guys will be very surprised and jealuous. Not only will it have some very unique elements that guests will enjoy on the actual ride but will also have element that older guests will get to experience without boarding the ride.
    If they go ahead with the pirates that has been proposed guests are suppose to be able to enter some of the attractions show scenes by foot thru caverns while guests on board will get to see and Experience some thrilling scenes..........

http://images.entertainmentearth.com...DPC3GP01lg.jpg
    Oh boy, I've been waiting for Pirate's Land to come into reality. This news sounds more exciting than the plans for Hong Kong. I love the idea of two different experiences and means of transportation in the same attraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Epcot2000 View Post
    Please, no epcot. NO EPCOT! Although I'm sure they could do amazing things with their money, Epcot is the one thing that WDW has that's truly unique and unforgettable even if it has declined in recent years) I just don't feel that they could do epcot correctly, without the history and "american ideals" that are behind it. Maybe if they twist it a whole bunch, such as WESTCOT, but no Epcot copies like the MKs do theirs.
    I bet it will be VERY different, and by that I mean better. The Future world section of Shanghai's EPCOT should be spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by disneysnout View Post
    Heehee... EastCOT.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Oh boy, I've been waiting for Pirate's Land to come into reality. This news sounds more exciting than the plans for Hong Kong. I love the idea of two different experiences and means of transportation in the same attraction.

I bet it will be VERY different, and by that I mean better. The Future world section of Shanghai's EPCOT should be spectacular.

Heehee... EastCOT.
    I'm getting dizzy with excitement. Sounds like Pirates will exist on a whole new level. How cool it would be to get caught up in a humongous whirlpool! Any existing EPCOT attractions featured at Shanghai's EastCOT will be so upgraded that they will hardly be recognizable. But, I imagine that most of the rides/attractions will be completely different, even if some of them incorporate some of the same technology. For instance, the Imagination pavilion just might boast the Brainstorms interactive coaster/darkride attraction that WDW was too cheap to create and install.

• Minion

I think it's way too premature to speculate on what the 2nd and 3rd parks would be. I also don't think Animal Kingdom would work, due to the very cold temperatures in winter...unless the rides featuring live animals were indoors. A new Epcot could well work, though.

As for the first park, the two new rides I would bet on are the long-rumored Pirates with Splash Mountain-style climax, plus a Tron ride. Are you all familiar with the video below, which was released in August 2009? At about 2:22, near the end of the video, you see a new simulator technology, with two riders on a ride vehicle that has "guns" attached. This looks very much like one of the scenes from the new Tron movie, and I would bet on this being the technology for a new Tron ride.

Down with the Hat

• Self Congratulative

Well I hear there's going to be an entire park devoted to pod-racing.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I think it's way too premature to speculate on what the 2nd and 3rd parks would be. I also don't think Animal Kingdom would work, due to the very cold temperatures in winter...unless the rides featuring live animals were indoors. A new Epcot could well work, though.

As for the first park, the two new rides I would bet on are the long-rumored Pirates with Splash Mountain-style climax, plus a Tron ride. Are you all familiar with the video below, which was released in August 2009? At about 2:22, near the end of the video, you see a new simulator technology, with two riders on a ride vehicle that has "guns" attached. This looks very much like one of the scenes from the new Tron movie, and I would bet on this being the technology for a new Tron ride.

If this technology in the video is used in Tron, we're in for one wild wide!

The Pirate's Mountain ride (incorporating a Splash-like drop) was originally rumored for Hong Kong Disneyland. i hope this is still on as that park can use all the attractions it can get.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    Well I hear there's going to be an entire park devoted to pod-racing.
    I'm riding with Anakin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm getting dizzy with excitement. Sounds like Pirates will exist on a whole new level. How cool it would be to get caught up in a humongous whirlpool! Any existing EPCOT attractions featured at Shanghai's EastCOT will be so upgraded that they will hardly be recognizable. But, I imagine that most of the rides/attractions will be completely different, even if some of them incorporate some of the same technology. For instance, the Imagination pavilion just might boast the Brainstorms interactive coaster/darkride attraction that WDW was too cheap to create and install.
    The Pirates attraction that has been proposed for Shanghai will really be diferent than the others. The one scene alone that involves the whirlpool will have a a track mechanism that will allow guests to be part of the action. Imagine a large turntable along with special effects and lighting.

Shanghai park will also see new things that other Magic Kingdom parks have not seen. The proposal for this park is very uniquelets hope that these next few months before its all announced that most plans stay on track.

One of the tron attraction ideas that i saw also involved ride vehicles that looked like bikes from the movie and the attraction was all indoors

• Iron-Clad Allie

The Pirates attraction that has been proposed for Shanghai will really be diferent than the others. The one scene alone that involves the whirlpool will have a a track mechanism that will allow guests to be part of the action. Imagine a large turntable along with special effects and lighting.

Shanghai park will also see new things that other Magic Kingdom parks have not seen. The proposal for this park is very uniquelets hope that these next few months before its all announced that most plans stay on track.

One of the tron attraction ideas that i saw also involved ride vehicles that looked like bikes from the movie and the attraction was all indoors
    i would imagine that the Disneyland TRON ride will be mostly if not all indoors as well. That Pirates whirlpool is one of the most unique and thrilling looking interactive effect that I have ever seen. Can't wait for the official announcement of all the one-of-a-kind upcoming attractions.

I'm getting really excited about Shanghai Disneyland. I think this park will even beat Disneyland Paris as the most beautiful Magic Kingdom.

Can't wait to see the first concept arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    I'm getting really excited about Shanghai Disneyland. I think this park will even beat Disneyland Paris as the most beautiful Magic Kingdom.

Can't wait to see the first concept arts.
    I can't wait either.

But I wouldn't expect the Shanghai park to have the same type of "artisan-crafted" design that DLP had/has. As I'm sure you're aware, in its early years DLP was an extraordinary built-environment on the level of DisneySea. While time, abuse & neglect have taken their toll over 25 years, DLP still enjoys some of the highest quality materials, layering of architectural details, etc. If you get a chance to read DisneyWar it offers some interesting stories as to why this was.

With Shanghai, I think that rather than spending its budget on hand-assembled, stained glass windows in the castle, elaborate crystal chandeliers for Frontierland, authentically-thatched roofs in Fantasyland or the type of trompe l'oeil artwork that covers DisneySea), the consortium will opt to fill out the attraction roster as much as possible (learning from the mistakes made in Hong Kong).

I still believe/hope that the Shanghai park will be extraordinary, in that it will have a unique castle, layout and attractions, but I'd expect a park with the same type of detailing/execution as a HKDL or MK - which are still excellent by world standards - but not a "fine art" park that DLP or TDS represent.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I can't wait either.

But I wouldn't expect the Shanghai park to have the same type of "artisan-crafted" design that DLP had/has. As I'm sure you're aware, in its early years DLP was an extraordinary built-environment on the level of DisneySea. While time, abuse & neglect have taken their toll over 25 years, DLP still enjoys some of the highest quality materials, layering of architectural details, etc. If you get a chance to read DisneyWar it offers some interesting stories as to why this was.

With Shanghai, I think that rather than spending its budget on hand-assembled, stained glass windows in the castle, elaborate crystal chandeliers for Frontierland, authentically-thatched roofs in Fantasyland or the type of trompe l'oeil artwork that covers DisneySea), the consortium will opt to fill out the attraction roster as much as possible (learning from the mistakes made in Hong Kong).

I still believe/hope that the Shanghai park will be extraordinary, in that it will have a unique castle, layout and attractions, but I'd expect a park with the same type of detailing/execution as a HKDL or MK - which are still excellent by world standards - but not a "fine art" park that DLP or TDS represent.
    Good points all, randy Savage. Shanghai Disneyland will most likely put a lot more emphasis on a plentitude of high caliiber unique rides/other attractions over ornate archetecture and landscaping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast