Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Rumored To Be A Three Park Resort: Including EPCOT & Animal Kingdom

It would be no surprise to me if the Shanghai castle is Rapunzel's. Rapunzel's castle very obviously has an overall shape / arrangement of elements very similar to a Magic Kingdom castle, only now with architectural details of an Austrian / Bavarian style. If any of you get a chance to see the images of the castle in the "Art of Tangled" book, the theme park qualities of this castle become all the more apparent.

My Blue Sky hope for Shanghai Disneyland had been for a park with a DisneySea style layout, featuring Rapunzel's castle on its hill in place of Mt Prometheus. But, if the concept artwork from July is any indication, the park will follow a very conventional layout.

Last edited by tasman; 02-07-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Down with the Hat

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Disneyland Rumored To Be A Three Park Resort: Including EPCOT & Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    It would be no surprise to me if the Shanghai castle is Rapunzel's. Rapunzel's castle very obviously has an overall shape / arrangement of elements very similar to a Magic Kingdom castle, only now with architectural details of an Austrian / Bavarian style. If any of you get a chance to see the images of the castle in the "Art of Rapunzel" book, the theme park qualities of this castle become all the more apparent.

My Blue Sky hope for Shanghai Disneyland had been for a park with a DisneySea style layout, featuring Rapunzel's castle on its hill in place of Mt Prometheus. But, if the concept artwork from July is any indication, the park will follow a very conventional layout.

I certainly hope to see more come of rapunzel than a meet and greet. If Shanghai is going to be as ride-centric as has been being touted, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a Rapunzel based ride with lots of hair raising action!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-12-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I can't wait either.

But I wouldn't expect the Shanghai park to have the same type of "artisan-crafted" design that DLP had/has. As I'm sure you're aware, in its early years DLP was an extraordinary built-environment on the level of DisneySea. While time, abuse & neglect have taken their toll over 25 years, DLP still enjoys some of the highest quality materials, layering of architectural details, etc. If you get a chance to read DisneyWar it offers some interesting stories as to why this was.

With Shanghai, I think that rather than spending its budget on hand-assembled, stained glass windows in the castle, elaborate crystal chandeliers for Frontierland, authentically-thatched roofs in Fantasyland or the type of trompe l'oeil artwork that covers DisneySea), the consortium will opt to fill out the attraction roster as much as possible (learning from the mistakes made in Hong Kong).

I still believe/hope that the Shanghai park will be extraordinary, in that it will have a unique castle, layout and attractions, but I'd expect a park with the same type of detailing/execution as a HKDL or MK - which are still excellent by world standards - but not a "fine art" park that DLP or TDS represent.
    Disney War is one of my favorite books and I've read it four times.

Maybe it is better not to have such an elaborate park, because it costs a lot to maintain it. Unfortunately DLRP doesn't make any money and so it is even harder to maintain that wonderful park.

Do you know how big this Magic Kingdom will be? There are so many numbers out there. Will it be biger than DLP, which is the largest park in terms of size.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Disney War is one of my favorite books and I've read it four times.

Maybe it is better not to have such an elaborate park, because it costs a lot to maintain it. Unfortunately DLRP doesn't make any money and so it is even harder to maintain that wonderful park.

Do you know how big this Magic Kingdom will be? There are so many numbers out there. Will it be biger than DLP, which is the largest park in terms of size.
    SDL is supposed to have all kinds of unique rides. This seems to imply that it will be at least as large as Disneyland. Regardless of it's size, the future resort's other two gates will be larger if they turn out to be modeled after EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post

The most solid leaked info (ignoring the ridiculously confused and contrary Chinese media reports) I've gathered is that Shanghai will be on a similar scale to Paris or Tokyo on their openings... this is significantly bigger than Hong Kong was on its opening - which is good news.

Other solid rumors, as mentioned in the thread, include
    -2 Hotels at opening
    -PotC Mountain with a walkthrough segment for non-riders
    -Seven Dwarfs' Mine Train
    -Tron indoor launch coaster
    -Unique castle
    -A twist on the staple Hub-Spoke layout involving a body of water
    -Unique Main Street

It's a safe bet that there will be significant Marvel and Pixar presences - this has been alluded to by Iger.

I'm hoping there is little-to-no overlap with Hong Kong, attraction-wise (i.e., no Space Mountain, no Jungle Cruise, no Dumbo, no Buzz Lightyear, no Pooh, no Small World, etc.). I'd even hope they give Shanghai a different name, (akin to Magic Kingdom). Doing so would create two unique destinations for the Chinese market - particularly for those in Fujian, one of China's wealthiest provinces that lies directly between Hong Kong & Shanghai. It would let the presumably smaller HKDL save face and avoid "been there, done that" among Chinese travelers. It would also allow Shanghai to distance itself from negative stigmas associated with HKDL (underperforming, underbuilt).

Maybe Baloo or anyone else, can give us some details on the Shanghai plans to hold us over until April, as it sounds like he's seen the development artwork/plans.

Thanks for all the informations, RandySavage!

I'm sure this park will be great. I'm looking forward to the POTC Mountain, although I think that it will be heavily based on the movies.

I'm curious about the Tron Launch Coaster. Until now I haven't seen Tron:Legacy, it started two weeks ago over here.

I'm not too happy about the Marvel presence. Superhero comics aren't that popular over here, and so I'm not a big fan. I still think that Marvel shouldn't be in a Disney park.

As long as Shanghai will not get TSPL, I'm fine with Pixar. Maybe the park gets it's own Pixar land.

It's a bit sad that SHDL will not get Space Mountain. WDI could use the Paris model for that park. It's a lot more thrilling than the US Space Mountains.

The proposed pirates will be heavily based on the movie that is something you will see more of in this park from what i have been told. Its all about franchise and building things that are easier to market in China.

I would not worry about Marvel clashing within the style of the magic kingdom parks. I think that if they are integrated within new lands or int his case a new park then it will work out well. I also have a strong feeling that we will see more of that in one of the other two gates that are proposed for future expansion. If a super hero Marvel attraction uses technology that will fascinate its guests then i don't see the popularity of super heroes an issue. Instead it will probably help drive acceptance and curiosity towards that now new Disney division

I do have to say that from what i have been told about when it comes to Shanghai park people will be pleasantly surprised. There has been some very interesting ideas proposed during the development phase of this new resort some have changed drastically wile others have been expanded on.

all of this talk is making me really hope that something is drastically done to HKDL. I would hate to see a disney park have to close. Maybe there could be aome form of partner system between the 2 parks. However, all the talk is also making me think about how badly MK is designed. Its making me hope that a major DCA referbishment happens to MK to get a few of these new offerings. I dont worry about DL or TDL because WDC takes a lot of care for DL. But a new pirates and a real redesign of SMs track layout would be cool.

back to the point, If SHDL gets an animal kingdom, i hope they think it through much better....no dino land...and make it a multi day adventure park.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The proposed pirates will be heavily based on the movie that is something you will see more of in this park from what i have been told. Its all about franchise and building things that are easier to market in China.

I would not worry about Marvel clashing within the style of the magic kingdom parks. I think that if they are integrated within new lands or int his case a new park then it will work out well. I also have a strong feeling that we will see more of that in one of the other two gates that are proposed for future expansion. If a super hero Marvel attraction uses technology that will fascinate its guests then i don't see the popularity of super heroes an issue. Instead it will probably help drive acceptance and curiosity towards that now new Disney division

I do have to say that from what i have been told about when it comes to Shanghai park people will be pleasantly surprised. There has been some very interesting ideas proposed during the development phase of this new resort some have changed drastically wile others have been expanded on.
    A Pirates ride that is updated in line with the upcoming new film is a great idea (especially with the whirlpool effect). I agree that a superheroes land for one of the parks (likely Disneyland) will bring out a whole new demension (or genre) of themed attractions.

The Pixar characters have proven themselve to have mass appeal. There's a few that remain outspoken against them. i imagine the same situation will exist with the marvel characters - or most any other character form that is fresh and new. it defies all logic why anyone would expect Disney to buy the rights to these characters and then send them into hibernation with respect to the parks.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    all of this talk is making me really hope that something is drastically done to HKDL. I would hate to see a disney park have to close. Maybe there could be aome form of partner system between the 2 parks. However, all the talk is also making me think about how badly MK is designed. Its making me hope that a major DCA referbishment happens to MK to get a few of these new offerings. I dont worry about DL or TDL because WDC takes a lot of care for DL. But a new pirates and a real redesign of SMs track layout would be cool.

back to the point, If SHDL gets an animal kingdom, i hope they think it through much better....no dino land...and make it a multi day adventure park.
    As I had said before, HKDL deserves to have the Pirates/Splash Mountain hybrid POTC ride as has been long rumored for the park. If there is a Dyno land at an SDL Animal kingdom park, then they will need to plan, create and execute it completely diffeent (meaning not another carnival). I look forward to the rumored Beastly Kingdom, if they decide to build one.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.

• Forgotten Spirit

By the way, the resort won't have an Epcot or Animal Kingdom, just in case someone already hasn't mentioned it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    By the way, the resort won't have an Epcot or Animal Kingdom, just in case someone already hasn't mentioned it.
    I'm just reporting on a rumor. Please don't shoot the messenger. I would rather see Shanghai Disneyland develope into a resort that has two additional uniquely themed parks to compliment it's Disneyland, and WDW get a long deserved infusion of investment money for updating it's EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, plus adding new "duff kicking" rides and shows. If Shanghai gets the new updated versions of the two parks, I might as well be excited that they are becoming a reality somewhere.

• Forgotten Spirit

Wink Re: Disneyland Rumored To Be A Three Park Resort: Including EPCOT & Animal Kingdom

Hey umm, I wasn't gonna shootcha! Just sayin' thats all.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Darn, cuz I just loaded my bb gun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123