Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Dreamer

Re: New concept art released at investor's meeting

Rumor has it they won't show detailed concept art to prevent Chinese theme parks to copy them before opening.

• Minion

ORDDU: I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense. But, then again, what's to prevent them from copying whatever they want later on?

ORGOCH: Heck! Why would them goomers over there even wanna' copy somethin' that's already bein' built right in their own back yards?

I gotta say, I would love to see a Magic Kingdom park on an Animal Kingdom-style template.

Wrapping and winding, mysterious hints and sudden appearances of lands and attractions. No Main Street. No compass layout. An organic, enchanted wilderness, with occasional thresholds and gates into different realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    Rumor has it they won't show detailed concept art to prevent Chinese theme parks to copy them before opening.
    now THAT I can definitely see as a possibility.
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

• Bangarang!

^Same here.

Is it my over active imagination, or does the left hand side of the "park" bear a slight resemblance to the water sphere area of the Port Disney project?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

There is a Mickey in that circle in the middle that looks like the entrence to the park. The castle in the middle looks like Rapunzel´s but it could be sleeping beauty castle once again since they both have that shape. The rest looks like a giant Pixie Hollow.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

There's a circular structure wrapped around a Mickey's face? This and the Great Wall are going to be mankind's two gifts to astronauts looking down from space.

Quote Originally Posted by britain View Post
    Wrapping and winding, mysterious hints and sudden appearances of lands and attractions. No Main Street. No compass layout. An organic, enchanted wilderness, with occasional thresholds and gates into different realms.
    Well, as far as the compass layout, you can have a hub and spoke layout without even looking like it.

I think DisneySea is the most perfect example of making a hub and spoke design that is almost totally masked so it doesn't feel like it even is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    BINGO!

That's why we haven't seen any artwork and why you only see a very wide, hazy shot here. Disney has apparently been burned before by ripoffs that Chinese parks have made after seeing Disney designs released.

Blue Sky Disney and Disney and More both seem to be talking about this as well.

ImagineerWarrior

Sounds like a theme park built with uber-secretive Steve Jobs on the board. Now HE's a guy that knows a thing or two about thwarting cheap knockoffs!

• Minion

Check out Alain Littaye's take on his blog, disneyandmore.com. I think he is mostly right, except I am not sure which place is Downtown Disney. And as has been mentioned before, the reason for the pic being very blurry is almost certainly from the fear of the park being copied. The Chinese do that better than anyone else, so Disney has reason to be secretive. But here's what I glean:

1. There is very definitely, a large mountain on the bottom right. This appears to be a flume ride. Could it be anything other than Pirates?

2. Adjacent to this is a large land with a water body, with perhaps an island in the middle. My guess, a Pirate-heavy version of Adventureland.

3. On the opposite side, also a similar land with similar water body. No idea what land this is.

4. The Mickey head at the entrance is in a big circle of some sort. Whatever this turns out to be, there's no doubt that the entrance will be very different from other Magic Kingdoms.

5. This layout is very different to the more traditional one seen at the Disney Family Museum in July, which was virtually a carbon copy of DLP.

6. I for one, am very hopeful and excited regarding the potential of this park! And will visit it by the end of the decade.
    Down with the Hat

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yeah so this artwork was pretty much useless. At least the artwork from last July showed something. I'd rather them release nothing rather than release nothing substantial. Even Hong Kong's first aerial rendering was actually created to show the park and the hotels.

What I don't like is that this shows nothing...and this could be anyone's park or anyone's place around the world.

• Minion

^^ I disagree. For the first time we have an idea of some of the layout of the resort, and we know that there will be differences in the entrance vs past parks that go beyond mere rumors, and know that there will be at least one large mountain ride and its general location within the park...which is different that past parks, because that is where Space Mt is usually located, and which appears not to be the case here. It may not be what we all salivate for in the internet age but it's the first of much more to come. We will undoubtedly see a few more details in April and perhaps a some more at D23. If, however, the idea is to ward off or delay cheap local clones, then we may not see detailed renderings until construction is chugging along at a fast clip. That being perhaps a year or two away, I'm glad to get this much for now. Hong Kong's concept art was more detailed but tried to hide what an insubstantial park it was going to be. Here on the other hand the art is trying to not to reveal too much of what will hopefully be a great new take on the MK concept.
    Down with the Hat

It seems like most following this park's development have subscribed to Alain's theory that the images thus far released are few and blurred-out because Disney is worried about copycat theme parks springing up.

If that is the case, why release models (and floorplan) of Mystic Manor five years before its opening for Ocean Park or Universal Singapore to copy and rush into development? Why release the Little Mermaid blueprints at all? There are dozens of minor (often ex-imagineer-run) themed design firms that can create amazing concepts and concept art that any Chinese competitor could hire (and have in the past). What Disney has that the small firms & competitors do not, is the money, technology, & experts of their own to actually implement the amazing multi-billion dollar plans. When competitors make cheaper knock-offs of Disney-like ideas, it only underscores Disney's excellence in their field (like the competing Japanese parks that opened right before Tokyo Disneyland).

So my theory is that Disney did not blur-out this recent image because of copycat fears, but because (a) the govt. has yet to give the final approvals, (b) the plans continue to be in flux, (c) their Chinese partners are going to want to be a part of the official ground-breaking in April and jumping the gun is not the best business etiquette, or (d) it is a technology issue (the image was delivered in low-res to investor participants who don't harp over details like we do).

This could be wishful thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    It seems like most following this park's development have subscribed to Alain's theory that the images thus far released are few and blurred-out because Disney is worried about copycat theme parks springing up.

If that is the case, why release models (and floorplan) of Mystic Manor five years before its opening for Ocean Park or Universal Singapore to copy and rush into development? Why release the Little Mermaid blueprints at all? There are dozens of minor (often ex-imagineer-run) themed design firms that can create amazing concepts and concept art that any Chinese competitor could hire (and have in the past). What Disney has that the small firms & competitors do not, is the money, technology, & experts of their own to actually implement the amazing multi-billion dollar plans. When competitors make cheaper knock-offs of Disney-like ideas, it only underscores Disney's excellence in their field (like the competing Japanese parks that opened right before Tokyo Disneyland).
    While I understand what you are saying, I don't think that Ocean Park or Universal Singapore would do that because they're relatively higher-end theme parks...not crappy knock off parks like mainland China has. The problem is that I think most people in mainland China don't have a long history with the Walt Disney company to know how much better quality they are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast